Enjoy Every Sandwich

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

http://www.pastrami.net/images/pastsand64color.gif

From the 2nd Ave. Deli smothered in hot mustard, a few full sour pickles, and a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. Perhaps some kasha varnishkes on the side.

Like heaven on earth.

That's colon cancer disguised as a sandwich. I remember having something like that at the tourist trap Carnegie Deli. Like a pound of thick sliced extra dry salami between two pieces of rye.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    A couple of good slices of sourdough. Real mayo. Romain lettuce. Couple of thin slices of good tomato. A few "thin" slices of Chipotle chile. A couple of thin slices (or thick...) of roast beef + cold beer = Mmm mmm good!
  • Reply 23 of 42
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    What I love about sandwiches is that they are a conceptual food. So many different things fall under the 'sandwich' umbrella.

While you can have artery bombs like the pastrami explosion up there, you can also have sweet simple stuff like Peanut butter and nutella or an ice cream sandwich. Or you can have grilled cheese, or you can have sandwiches that require soups for optimal taste.

Very good stuff.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The cheese sandwich is also high on my list. There's something very satisfying about adjusting the toaster oven so that the cheese heats v-e-r-y slowly so that it puffs up into a great big balloon and slowly begins to brown. You have to know when to kill the heat and pull the sandwich out and allow the cheese to collapse. An artform.

Toasted sandwiches are very, very important. I'll even toast a peanut butter sandwich.

Gnawing on a Muffaletta is a swell way to spend lunchtime; olive tapanade is bottled magic.

We've had sandwich threads before, they always get great responses!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

The cheese sandwich is also high on my list. There's something very satisfying about adjusting the toaster oven so that the cheese heats v-e-r-y slowly so that it puffs up into a great big balloon and slowly begins to brown. You have to know when to kill the heat and pull the sandwich out and allow the cheese to collapse. An artform.

*drool*

Quote:

Toasted sandwiches are very, very important. I'll even toast a peanut butter sandwich.

indeed, I toast my peanut butter and nutella sandwiches all the time

Quote:

We've had sandwich threads before, they always get great responses!

because, quite simply, sandwiches rule
  • Reply 26 of 42
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    umm..umm.umm.. tasty.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Now that reminds me-- here's a chance for all you AOers to get in on the ground floor of a great new franchise idea!

Here's the deal: remember when all the "Wraps" places showed up? (At least they did here in CA).

They would describe their offerings as "delicious (assorted ingredients) wrapped in a corn or wheat...well, it was a tortilla, pretty much, and the result was a burrito, more or less, except that word was never used.

So here's my idea:

We start with the finest meats, cheeses and savory condiments. Then we layer them between pieces of of fresh baked bread. It's a meal that you hold in your hand!

And we shall call it: Stax!

Be the first to open up one of those trendy new stax places in your neighborhood!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Gnawing on a Muffaletta is a swell way to spend lunchtime;

rude, but true.

breakfast and dinner too. makes a sensual snack. good for her heart, too.

mmmmm muff sandwiches. </homerpron>
  • Reply 29 of 42
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

One of my goals if I go on leave will be to learn to make authentic French bread.

One of my goals is to eat really authentic French bread. I wish you the best of luck, just send me a loaf if you succeed.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That's colon cancer disguised as a sandwich. I remember having something like that at the tourist trap Carnegie Deli. Like a pound of thick sliced extra dry salami between two pieces of rye.

Well, I'd like to think that the booze and cigarettes will do me in before my pastrami.

Secondly, never ever ever go to the Carnegie Deli. It is by far the worst of the delicatessens left. It is the worst type of tourist trap. 2nd Ave Deli, Katz's or The Pastrami Box are the only delis worth going to.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

One of my goals is to eat really authentic French bread. I wish you the best of luck, just send me a loaf if you succeed.

Okay, bunge, it's a deal.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Well, I'd like to think that the booze and cigarettes will do me in before my pastrami.

Secondly, never ever ever go to the Carnegie Deli. It is by far the worst of the delicatessens left. It is the worst type of tourist trap. 2nd Ave Deli, Katz's or The Pastrami Box are the only delis worth going to.

I know Carnegie's bad, but dining arrangements weren't up to me at that particular junction. I like my sandwiches in sourdough or sweet Italian rolls anyway.

Rye...EUGH!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Great Thread Title.

Every time I see this goddamn thread title, I start singing it to the tune of "Climb Every Mountain".

Enjoy every sandwich

Butter every slice

Choose your favorite filling

Tandoori chicken, salad and mango is very nice!

You've got to work that last line a bit to get it to fit.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

... a particular salty dry gouda I get from "The Cheese Board" ...

Hooray for Bay Area food!

What cheese in particular do you like? I'd love to try it, and The Cheese Board is just down the street. Lucky me.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Cheese?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Whenever I'm in Pittsburgh, I can't pass up a ham, egg and bacon sandwich from Primanti Brother's. I'm sure it decreases my life span by a few years but it's heaven. In Miami, a good cuban or media noche always satisfies.

In Pittsburgh get a KAZANTSKI'S Ruben to go!!!!!!

I've been making basic: two slices & chedder, grilled with a tad butter!!!!

true Comfort Food
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

In Pittsburgh get a KAZANTSKI'S Ruben to go!!!!!!

I've been making basic: two slices & chedder, grilled with a tad butter!!!!

true Comfort Food

indeed, We got some nice french bread sub rolls recently, I've been having two slices of Muenster cheese with a spread of Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Mustard, toasted till it's warm but not totally toasted.

yummy.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Call me crazy but there's nothing as good as a Bahn Mi sandwich

and a bowl of Pho Bo (or Ga)

I spent a lot of time in SE Asia as well as Honolulu China Town. These are hard to find in my current home town.

You can get good ones in Minneapolis . . .and of course in SF, where you can eat every night at a different restaraunt for the rest of your life and srill not eat at them all . . .
  • Reply 39 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm almost afraid to let loose with my staple sandwich given the snobbies here who spend 7 days preparing theirs.

Some kind of whole wheat bread, usually Nature's Own 100%.

A couplefew slices of maple turkey.

A couple slices of havarti cheese (between the turkey slices so it doesn't make everything stick).

A good toasting in the toaster oven.

Open and put in lettuce and thin slices of tomato (cucumber or sprouts if I've got 'em).

A tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of light mayo on one side.

A good bit of hot brown mustard on the other.

Just had it for lunch with some Dirty's kettle chips (jalapeno flavor) and a diet 7up (no sugar, no caffeiene, but still tasty!).

• Reply 40 of 42
    Groverat, the sight you aren't seeing, is me drooling profusely.