Port forwarding for the very stupid

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
That is, me.

My ethernet router plugs into the wall.

My Airport Extreme base station plugs into my ethernet router.

My PowerBook is wireless and ready to suck data.

I want to introduce ports to ports so that I can get decent speeds on BitTorrent, but every time I save the settings on my router and on my AirPort, my IP addresses change. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

How do I get the frigging things talking to each other?

Someone guide me through the process as if I am very stupid, please, and I'll be very grateful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Who Manufactures your router? Also your powerbook isn't going to benefit from the wired router because the A Extreme base station has its own router and your receiving the wireless signal from it. So you should be configuring everything in OSX sharing preferences, and the base station admin program.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Who Manufactures your router? Also your powerbook isn't going to benefit from the wired router because the A Extreme base station has its own router and your receiving the wireless signal from it. So you should be configuring everything in OSX sharing preferences, and the base station admin program.

My router's made by ADSL Nation and I need it because it's a modem/router. I'm configuring everything in sharing prefs on my machine and with the html admin server thingummy on the router, and it all works fine... it's just I need open ports from wall -> router -> base station -> computer because my download speeds are ridiculously slow with BitTorrent. I've got the firewall configured with the ports open on my computer so it's not that...

Like I said, I need talking through this as if I were very, very stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Well start with the router/modem, goto the admin page in your web browser, look for port forwarding. Some routers don't allow for this.

If your router doesn't allow for it then it might allow for DMZ hosting, which will basically open up your router for all ports. Your airport and your powerbook have enough protection with there firewalls. Configure

the base station and your mac appropriately for the ports you want open for the bit torrent service. That should be it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Well start with the router/modem, goto the admin page in your web browser, look for port forwarding. Some routers don't allow for this.

If your router doesn't allow for it then it might allow for DMZ hosting, which will basically open up your router for all ports. Your airport and your powerbook have enough protection with there firewalls. Configure

the base station and your mac appropriately for the ports you want open for the bit torrent service. That should be it.

It allows port forwarding but not dmz, as far as I can tell. And I still can't work it out.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Okay in the port forwarding section of your routers admin page enter in the port numbers ( ex. 10900-10905) you should find out what these are, if you don't know read the bit torrent help. The port forwarding should also have a ip address as to which computer it is being forward.

It should look something this.

• Reply 6 of 11
    Cool. Thanks!

The IP I should enter: is that the IP of my base station or my computer?

And on my base station when I'm mapping ports is that of my computer?

It seems that my IP is always different. Am I being dense? If I can't stop it from changing can I fool my router / base station somehow? Am I complicating the issue unnecessarily? Do you wish you hadn't dipped your toe into this thread?

• Reply 7 of 11
    Since network traffic is ending at your powerbook, then it is the ip address of your computer.

Nah its all good....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

It seems that my IP is always different.

Edit. (sorry pressed return too quickly).

You are probably using DHCP. If you are the only one using the router then just enter the ip that gets allocated via DHCP manually. It won't hurt the router and it gives you a 'static' ip.

Dobby.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Edit. (sorry pressed return too quickly).

You are probably using DHCP. If you are the only one using the router then just enter the ip that gets allocated via DHCP manually. It won't hurt the router and it gives you a 'static' ip.

Dobby.

Dobby, thanks a million.

Do you mean the ip adress that shows up in network prefs/ tcp/ip? Where do I enter it? On the router or in network prefs?

(forgive me.)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Quote:

Dobby, thanks a million.

Do you mean the ip adress that shows up in network prefs/ tcp/ip? Where do I enter it? On the router or in network prefs?

(forgive me.)

I can't work it out. My airport's in the frigging way.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Do you mean the ip adress that shows up in network prefs/ tcp/ip?

Yes, that is your computer's IP generated by your router (or by your Airport, depending on which device is doing the DHCP). It's also known as your "internal" IP address, because it's only seen by things on your internal or private network.

You also have a "public" or external IP address that you receive via the ADSL. You can see that address anytime by going to http://www.whatismyip.com

Quote:

Where do I enter it? On the router or in network prefs?

(forgive me.)

You have to enter it in the Port Forwarding section of your router control - see the Linksys screen posted above as an example.