iTunes 5 ideas

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    ^^^^ And we've come full circle.

I'm actually surprised that so many feature we suggested here made it into iTunes 4.5

Eject button in the source view.

I know it's not lyric searching, but now if you hear a song on the radio you can go to iTMS's Radio Chats and see the songs that the station was playing.

A party interface. Might not be a jukebox, but it' better than nothing.

Now if only the iPod would respect the shuffle settings.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

More E.Q. bands

1. Get rid of the floating window EQ (or at least make it optional: window or pane).

2. Make a 31-band equalizer (20 - 20k) come up in it's own pane exactly like the Search Results pane comes up from below in iCal.

...and call it "Pro tunes"
  • Reply 63 of 72
    I like the idea of lyric searching but I'd also like to see ID3 tags have lyrics support. I don't know a lot about ID3 from a technical standpoint but I think it could use a lot more features, not that improving ID3 is Apple's responsibilty...

I'd also like to have album cover art automatically show up when a CD is put in, just like the track names do from CDDB so that I wouldn't have to manually add them to albums I rip.

Those are my two cents, there have been some great suggestions so far, and from the 4.5 update it looks like Apple was listening to some of them
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by miguelcolina

....I'd also like to have album cover art automatically show up when a CD is put in, just like the track names do from CDDB so that I wouldn't have to manually add them to albums I rip......

YES, YES, OH GOD YES Please submit that to itunes suggestions, as I have.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    spankaleespankalee Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

The problem isn't chiefly due to a lack of buffering, but to the way MP3 and AAC tracks are encoded.

Shet, thanks for the good explanation. This has been one of my biggest gripes since iTunes came out, but I never knew exactly why it was seemingly so tough to solve.

I wonder if the lead-in time is constant for all tracks and encoders. If not, I would think a player could analyze files that you set to be seamless and skip the silent lead-ins and lead-outs.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

YES, YES, OH GOD YES Please submit that to itunes suggestions, as I have.

hell yeah!
  • Reply 67 of 72
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Fetch Art ( http://staff.washington.edu/yoel/fetchart ) will use amazon.com's album covers to add to your iTunes songs. Isn't exactely the same but it should be a good substitute for now.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Here's my idea:

Now that we have the Eject buttons in the source list, there isn't really any need for the Eject button at the bottom-right corner of the window. I say, make that button into an Info button [ i ] like the one in iCal. Clicking that will open up a drawer (again, like iCal) with the selected items' information, with an updated look (to match that of iCal).
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

Fetch Art ( http://staff.washington.edu/yoel/fetchart ) will use amazon.com's album covers to add to your iTunes songs. Isn't exactely the same but it should be a good substitute for now.

(eyes well up with tears of envy)It is mac only, awwww....when will someone bridge the digital divide, when will Santa leave me a powerbook?

let me anser: as soon as I find work for the summer and save $1500ish
  • Reply 70 of 72
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, so if this has already been mentioned...well then I second it:

Smarter playlists with the ability to "and/or" criteria, such as "Genre is Rock OR Genre is Alternative AND Play Count is more than 2."

Oh, would I love that.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    iTunes won't/can't have drawers because it Carbon.

Something I'd like to see is support for AudioUnits plugins. A compressor would be especially nice on my iPod because when I'm on a bus I have to turn it way up to hear soft sections, but the louds are too loud, so I'm constantly messing with the volume. I can't just put it in my pocket and forget it.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    spankaleespankalee Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

iTunes won't/can't have drawers because it Carbon.

Something I'd like to see is support for AudioUnits plugins. A compressor would be especially nice on my iPod because when I'm on a bus I have to turn it way up to hear soft sections, but the louds are too loud, so I'm constantly messing with the volume. I can't just put it in my pocket and forget it.

AudioUnits in iTunes is technically feasable, but AUs on an iPod is impossible. First, it's not PPC. Second it doesn't have an FP unit. Third it doesn't have the libraries (or memory to store the livraries) to support AU.

The EQ shows that the iPod and do some DSP though, so maybe Apple could pair AUs for iTunes with some effects built into the iPod. I agree a compressor would be nice.