Answering Machine Software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone have any suggestions for software that I might use on my G5 running OS X 10.3.3 for recording incoming phone messages?

I just purchased a new phone, and realized (a bit late) that it doesn't include an integrated answering machine (well, I forgot that my old one DID). I'm all for keeping down the number of gadgets around the house, and figured that if my Mac could do this, it'd be worth looking into.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    A little VersionTracker search found this

Only problem, some users have reported that you can't do voicemail with internal modems, which kinda sucks for you.

A MacUpdate search turned the same result sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Thanks, DMB. I appreciate the effort. According to some of these comments, Apple's modems can only handle data, not speech. Alas, it was a good idea while it lasted. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    How much does a cheap PCI (USB?) modem than can do voice cost?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Check this out, ovolab . We use this at my office and it works great.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    ... and only $150
  • Reply 6 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Here's another question- can I use my Mac to replace my phone? Now, I don't mean iChat AV. One time, while I was dialing-up on a Mac, someone else was making a phone call, and I could hear them talking, through the Mac's speakers, for a couple seconds before the modem disconnected. Any info?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Here's another question- can I use my Mac to replace my phone? Now, I don't mean iChat AV. One time, while I was dialing-up on a Mac, someone else was making a phone call, and I could hear them talking, through the Mac's speakers, for a couple seconds before the modem disconnected. Any info?

I know that Apple used to make a Phone program that I had on my 6400. I believe it was system 6 or 7 that had it, might have been 8. But I'm pretty sure it was gone in OS 9. So I'm assuming that function is still there, but Apple doesn't write the software for it anymore.