Speculations for an iPod Mini Update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know any of the details about the HD that Apple uses in the iPod Mini, but I was wondering if anyone else does. Has the manufacturer given any clues as to when it may increase its capacity. And, if so, by how much?

When Apple announced the 4GB Mini in January I really expected there to plans for a 6 or 8GB version by this fall, but I haven't heard any rumblings about this. Anyone else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

When Apple announced the 4GB Mini in January I really expected there to plans for a 6 or 8GB version by this fall, but I haven't heard any rumblings about this. Anyone else?

I can hardly think about updates when the iPod mini still has serious difficulties to cross the Atlantic ocean.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The hard drive in the mini is made by Hitachi. It has been widely published that they have had trouble meeting demand. Hitachi also stated that they were increasing capacity at the plant where they are made. Apple has had trouble keeping up with current demand because of a shortage of drives so a revision is probably not on the books until just before Christmas or possibly early 2005. It has not been widely noted but another company announced an MP3 player with the Hitachi 4 GB drive when Apple made their announcement. Don't remember which company. But they have yet to come out with that model.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Thanks for the info.

So, considering the drive supply problems, think Apple could switch to flash-based memory for the next revision of the Mini? If they aren't locked into an agreement with Hitachi?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    andiandi Posts: 4member
    The Creative Nomad MuVo² uses the same 4gb microdrive if i'm not mistaken... and from what I understand, the 4gb microdrive IS a flash card or atleast flash compatible. People are buying the Creative MuVo², pick the 4gb microdrive and sell the mp3 player without the microdrive on ebay.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

So, considering the drive supply problems, think Apple could switch to flash-based memory for the next revision of the Mini?

Are you kidding? Steve's entire introduction and demo of the iPod mini was based on the uselessness of flash based players and the fact that the HD based mini is specifically engineered to take over that entire market segement.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Andi

The Creative Nomad MuVo² uses the same 4gb microdrive if i'm not mistaken... and from what I understand, the 4gb microdrive IS a flash card or atleast flash compatible. People are buying the Creative MuVo², pick the 4gb microdrive and sell the mp3 player without the microdrive on ebay.

Um, no.

The 4GB microdrive in the Muvo is NOT flash. That's the whole point of ripping the thing open and selling the drive on eBay. It's the cheapest way to get a bare Hitachi 4GB drive.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Thanks for the info.

So, considering the drive supply problems, think Apple could switch to flash-based memory for the next revision of the Mini? If they aren't locked into an agreement with Hitachi?

They probably do have an agreement with Hitachi, and flash memory is far too expensive in those quantities to be a backup.

Hitachi's actually ramping up production in a different (larger) factory, according to one article I read. Once that's up and going, and there's a good stockpile, Apple can start shipping iPod minis worldwide.

I'd be surprised if Hitachi announces an 8GB microdrive while they're still struggling to make enough 4GB drives. They know what'll happen.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Think they'll at least drop the price in a month or two? Drat. I was hoping a rev 2 would come out before my sister's birthday July 14.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A CF based iPod grows closer every day. Just a matter of time.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Then it would be indestructible!
  • Reply 11 of 35
    I don't think the iPod mini will go Flash based... Too expensive right now for 4+Gb of flash. Although I agree this would make the iPod better for running etc (I always worry when someone tells me they run with a HD in their pocket... I just can't help thinking about bad sectors etc).

I also don't think Apple will be increasing the HD size any time soon. Or at least they won't be putting pressure on Hitachi etc to increase them. The iPod mini is designed specifically to fill a market: People that want an iPod but don't need 15+Gb of music and want the thing to slip nicely into a pocket/purse... Oh, and runners.

The mini is for people who want to listen to a selection of music as opposed to all the people that bag out the iPod because it won't store their 100Gb of music (you know who you are!!!) .

Sure, eventually Hitachi et al with stop making 4Gb variations of this drive and Apple will have to switch up to the new bigger ones (if they exist).

Personally I see the iPod mini becoming like the iPod in storage capacity etc and the iPod will evolve into something else completely. Perhaps when we reach 100Gb drives for iPods we might see a video output of some sort so you can play your DVD/movie projects straight out of the iPod onto a TV (NOTE: I said nothing about a colour screen and watching movies on the iPod itself, the thing would need to grow in physical size to accomodate that).

When Hitachi can get enough HD's out to accomodate world wide sales of the mini, then we can talk about increased capacity. Until then, Earth will have to wait patiently until planet USA has had its fill of iPod minis and leaves some for us (at least Europe has the photo albums available now, here in Oz we don't even have that yet!!! And don't get me started about the iTunes music stor(ag)e).
  • Reply 12 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A recent survey of consumers stated that 1000 song capacity for an iPod was "just right".

Quote:

Last modified: April 22, 2004, 11:59 AM PDT

By CNET News.com Staff

One thousand songs is just about the right size for a portable media player, according to a survey by Jupiter Research.

The online survey found that 90 percent of consumers have no more than 1,000 songs on their PCs. And 77 percent of the consumers Jupiter questioned said they'd be interested in purchasing a portable media player with a capacity of 1,000 songs. The 4GB hard drive included in Apple Computer's iPod Mini, and in MP3 players from some Apple rivals, holds roughly that number of songs.

Apple's latest product was so popular in the United States that the Cupertino, Calif.-based computer maker had to push the player's global release back from April to July.

"Vendors such as Creative, Archos, Dell and Apple have all created hard drive music players that can hold up to and beyond 5,000 songs," the report states. "Hard drive players with such large capacity for content go above and beyond not only the music that most consumers want on their portable music player, but also beyond the digital music that they own."

Hard drive size isn't the only thing that matters to music lovers. When asked which features matter most, 55 percent listed a rechargeable battery, 52 percent said small device size, and 49 percent said the ability to connect the device to their computer. Vendors should be cognizant of these priorities, Jupiter said.

The Jupiter Research survey also found that 20 percent of consumers said playing MP3 files is important, versus 7 percent who would prefer files in Microsoft's WMA format and fewer than 1 percent who prefer the Advanced Audio Coding format, an open standard that was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group and which is supported on Apple's iTunes music store.

• Reply 13 of 35
    pooandweepooandwee Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

A recent survey of consumers stated that 1000 song capacity for an iPod was "just right".

This was what I was talking about.... Apple won't be pressuring Hitachi to make bigger drives for the mini because potential users of this product are, according to "research", happy with its capacity.

Want more space? Get an iPod.

I have a 40Gb iPod and it has less than 1000 tracks on it. But it has 20Gb of images for work
  • Reply 14 of 35
    All I really want is for it to be cheaper and maybe have a mic/line in or HE AAC to effectively double capacity.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Think they'll at least drop the price in a month or two? Drat. I was hoping a rev 2 would come out before my sister's birthday July 14.

People in Europe are hoping for rev 1's before july 14.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    What!? They have to be updated quick, they've been out for a while. Even if they haven't been "out" they've been advertised and will soon be perceived as old. Hope they get updated soon I want a new one to give me I mean my sister in a few weeks!
  • Reply 17 of 35
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Actually, I wouldn't mind a flash-based iPod Mini with, say, 512MB for around $150. Maybe it could even be DRAM-based. One thing everyone forgets is that iPod beats the other players on user-friendliness, too. I tried a flash player years ago - it was a PITA to use.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I actually might lean toward something like that too. Imagine how small it would be.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    spankaleespankalee Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

A CF based iPod grows closer every day. Just a matter of time.

• Reply 20 of 35
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    No rolley-eyes needed.

Eventually, for a small "music player", the lines between capacity, price, and compression will intersect in favor of a solid state machine.

Not soon, but closer today than yesterday, or the day before... ergo, just a matter of time.

I'd bet that if you could do a solid state iPod mini with 1.5-2GB for the same price as a 4GB HDD model, a great many people would consider the solid state version first.

Yes, HDD's will continue to grow, but once we get up into a work-day full of tunes, it becomes superfluous for a single purpose device.