I give Rummy 2 more weeks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
That's right race fans, I predict that another group of pictures and a follow-on scandal will dethrone King Rummy in the next two weeks. Just a hunch. Any other thoughts?

Why would I think such a crazy thing?

Poor manpower planning in Iraq (troops spending 15 months in Iraq)

The current scandal

The poor insight into the wars costs

The poor postwar planning

The misdirection from the WOT.

The Bush admin is politically weakening thus opening the door for scandals to break. The Bush admin isn't in a position to quash stories using patriotism the way they did a year ago.

Anyway, I'm feeling verklempt now so talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic--Rumsfeld gets canned.

PS. Look what the left wing Economist has as its cover this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

\\PS. Look what the left wing Economist has as its cover this week.

This a joke isn't it (I keep thinking we're beyond satire these days)

?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

?

No, look at the link for the Photo. Go to a barnes and Noble. That is the current weeks Economist. <sarcasm>A truely left wing pub BTW</sarcasm>. I'm not talented enough to create anything like that.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

?

It's not.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Another left wing publication--The Navy Times-- has admonished the chain of command, including Rumsfailed, for the prison torture sandal in Iraq.

http://www.navytimes.com/print.php?f...25-2903288.php

Quote:

Originaly published in The Navy Times

Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, also shares in the shame. Myers asked ?60 Minutes II? to hold off reporting news of the scandal because it could put U.S. troops at risk. But when the report was aired, a week later, Myers still hadn?t read Taguba?s report, which had been completed in March. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also failed to read the report until after the scandal broke in the media.

By then, of course, it was too late.

Myers, Rumsfeld and their staffs failed to recognize the impact the scandal would have not only in the United States, but around the world.

If their staffs failed to alert Myers and Rumsfeld, shame on them. But shame, too, on the chairman and secretary, who failed to inform even President Bush.

He was left to learn of the explosive scandal from media reports instead of from his own military leaders.

On the battlefield, Myers? and Rumsfeld?s errors would be called a lack of situational awareness ? a failure that amounts to professional negligence.

[edit] I should add that the above is from an editorial
  • Reply 5 of 41
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

That's right race fans, I predict that another group of pictures and a follow-on scandal will dethrone King Rummy in the next two weeks. Just a hunch. Any other thoughts?

"President Bush praised embattled Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Monday, saying, "Thank you for your leadership. You are courageously leading our nation in the war against terror.

"You are doing a superb job. You are a strong secretary of defense, and our nation owes you a debt of gratitude."

Link

Nope, he'll stay.

Next stop in November, let's see of the voters do the right thing.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    not gonna happen
  • Reply 7 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What else is Bush going to say?

It's too bad that Rumsfled's direct manner didn't kick in with this crisis. I don't know if another person would have done better or worse with the whole thing.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

"President Bush praised embattled Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Monday, saying, "Thank you for your leadership. You are courageously leading our nation in the war against terror.

"You are doing a superb job. You are a strong secretary of defense, and our nation owes you a debt of gratitude."

Link

Nope, he'll stay.

Next stop in November, let's see of the voters do the right thing.

Bush has shown that he is just as wishy-washy as the next politician. If Rumsfeld remains an albatros then he will be asked to leave, or show the door IMHO. Cheney dubbed good'ol Rummy the best Sec. of Defence ever... C'mon Dick get real please.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's too bad that Rumsfled's direct manner didn't kick in with this crisis. I don't know if another person would have done better or worse with the whole thing.

Better or worse?!? Rummy waited until the night before he spoke with the senate on Friday to even look at the photos. When did 60 minutes II break the story? When was Myers informed by 60 minutes that a story was brewing? Myers sat on a story of this magnitude without telling Rummy? Yeah right. I say it again, as soon as Rummy becomes to much of a weight, he'll be shown the door.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    He already took the blame..

Don't forget it's an election year...

he'll be gone soon, someone high up has to go, and Jorge is not going anywhere.

This will show the world how serious US is about human-rights, and Rumsfeld?

Well Rumsfeld will start enjoying gardening, something he never had time for. Somewhere in a nice neighborhood, in his new sunny bungalow, with agents behind every tree...

We'll move on, and this will be just a 'bump' on a road to democracy...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I don't know if another person would have done better or worse with the whole thing.

Well, seems some other persons did not.

According to the Red Cross:

Quote:

On 13 and 14 January he [Kellenberger] attended a series of meetings in Washington. In two days he would meet US Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz. In each meeting, say Red Cross sources, Kellenberger would deliver the same message: his organisation's belief that coalition soldiers were torturing and mistreating Iraqi detainees.

Within hours that message would be on the desks of Donald Rumsfeld and the most senior officers in the US military.

I mean, seriously - half of the admin talks to the head of the ICRC and noone informs the head honcho that american soldiers are allegedly busy committing war crimes?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Senator John Mccain? Colin Powell? Uh, sorry forget the latter...he'll be leaving soon too.

Anyway...would you have chosen Rummy for his past crimes? This administration did. It needed him. Another pawn (or partner) in the empire machine...

Cool photos and links for scott...

those damn cameras again!

SADDAM & RUMSFELD PARTNERSHIP OF USING CHEMICAL WEAPON

GOOGLE ME!

• Reply 13 of 41
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    ...guess that says it all?...God I'm good...

Tried to link the article Washington Post reporter Ricks wrote today on how most of the military want him out now too.

Put a fork in him...he's done.

• Reply 14 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't know what GW Bush will decide, but I don't think it will wise for him to fire him.

You have to remember that Bush doctrin for foreign policy, is based upon neo cons views whom best representant is Rumsfeld. Firing Rumsfeld will be an implicit confession that Bush foreign policy is a failure. By giving a blame, Bush say that Rumsfeld did make a mistake, but is still confident that the foreign policy of his admin is the good one.

Rumsfeld will certainly leave the admin in a few months, but not necessary now.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Remember: Bush only comes down on people who blow the whistle on his abuses. Then the gloves come off.

But being the architect of abuse? Priceless.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Anyway, I'm feeling verklempt now so talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic--

• Reply 17 of 41
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    He won't be fired . . . at least not really.

It isn't George's show, he is the figure-head, the real players are the group of ideologues: Wollfowitz, Cheney and Rummy . . . throw in the supporting cast of Libby etc etc, and you have the real decision makers . . . even if Rummy left his input would still be at play, Just like Perl's is.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    These people think they are invincible. They have the White House, the Supreme Court, the Senate, the House of Representatives, the media.....and with that much power, they feel they can do anything they want. Up until now, they have done just that, bolstered by the notions that dissent is unpatriotic, the presidential decree of "you're either with us, or you are with the terrorists", and the perpetual fearmongering of "al qaeda agents in every city, ready to inflict death and destruction at any minute"...etc. Maybe I am being unusually optimistic, but I feel the whole thing is starting to unravel.

Whether Rumsfeld resigns, gets fired or stays on, it looks bad every way for the administration. Are they going to keep passing the buck on this one? It's looking as if nobody is going to take final responsibility for this, and th admin probably is of the opinion that nobody will be unduly bothered.

This administration is a textbook example of the "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" maxim. When the final draft of the 9-11 "investigation" committee is made public ... even that pathetically narrow, ersatz, whitewashed, watered-down report maybe the final nail in the coffin of BushCorp. Or am I underestimating their absolute power and influence?
  • Reply 19 of 41
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Or am I underestimating their absolute power and influence?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we ALL are underestimating their absolute power and influence. I'm convinced that most of the neocons who frequent this board truthfully agree with Rush Limbaugh on this matter, who apparently enjoyed the photos and would have liked to play along? but I can?t say I find them surprising._

"I [weep] for my country, where peace is now a dirty word, where torture, death and human rights abuses are dismissed in a matter befitting Saddam Hussein, and where our leaders seek war and forment chaos." I couldn't agree more.

So, whatever we do, we shouldn't vote for John Kerry...because he's, um, a Catholic.

Edit: Grammar.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we ALL are underestimating their absolute power and influence. I'm convinced that most of the neocons who frequent this board truthfully agree with Rush Limbaugh on this matter, who apparently enjoyed the photos and would have liked to play along? but I can?t say I find them surprising._

"I [weep] for my country, where peace is now a dirty word, where torture, death and human rights abuses are dismissed in a matter befitting Saddam Hussein, and where our leaders seek war and forment chaos." I couldn't agree more.

So, whatever we do, we shouldn't vote for John Kerry...because he's, um, a Catholic.

Edit: Grammar.

No one enjoyed the photos. For you to suggest otherwise is exceptionally over the line.

I think it's clear Rummy will stay. It's probably the best option for the administration.