What do you think we'll see at WWDC?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think we can all agree that there won't be any Powerbook G5s.

But do you think it's possible that Apple will update Power Macs, LCDs AND unveil an iMac G5?

WWDC is a professional tradeshow, so Powermac G5/LCD updates make perfect sense. A brand new iMac with a G5 processor needs some kind of unveiling. It's too big of a hardware release for a quiet update on Apple's Web site and waiting till Macworld SF would mean no iMac updates for 16 months.

What do you guys think? If we see new PMs, LCDs and iMac G5s at WWDC, the show would be awesome!

But I think I'm expecting too much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

WWDC is a professional tradeshow, so Powermac G5/LCD updates make perfect sense.

First and foremost, WWDC is a developers conference, therefore I would expect product launches that are interesting to developers (G5 architecture last year). Althought Apple did use WWDC keynotes to present consumer stuff, I'd expect Jobs to focus on revised towers, then iPod/iTMS (to show developers that Apple can score in the market place) then move to Tiger and other software rather quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see new iMacs and displays unveiled there, but I'd rather expect them as a silent update right after WWDC.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    As far as G5 iMacs go, they could be announced at WWDC. They may come before WWDC.

As I mentioned in another thread, a (one model) G5 PowerBook could appear at WWDC; a 17-inch model (long shot) to fill the high end of the portable line (at around $3,299). I think updated G5 towers are a lock, as well as those much rumored new displays to go along with the towers. What about a matching keyboard and mouse too?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    1.G5 iMac or iMac replacement product.

2.Digital Hub device.

Edit: Also speedbumped PowerMacs, but not at 3Ghz.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

As far as G5 iMacs go, they could be announced at WWDC. They may come before WWDC.

This is quite likely. Apple will probably roll out anything that doesn't introduce brand new low-level capabilities in the days leading up to WWDC. That's what they did last year. It's a developer's conference, and developers will not have shelled out $1500 a head in order to hear about the new iMac - unless that machine happens to introduce some cool new tech of interest to developers.

If the next PowerMacs leap to a Power5 derivative, and if that derivative ushers in some cool new feature (dual-core, SMT) then we'll probably see it at WWDC. Even if Jobs has to "pre-announce" it again, like last year.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

This is quite likely. Apple will probably roll out anything that doesn't introduce brand new low-level capabilities in the days leading up to WWDC. That's what they did last year. It's a developer's conference, and developers will not have shelled out $1500 a head in order to hear about the new iMac - unless that machine happens to introduce some cool new tech of interest to developers.

There is one reason I could see Apple pushing a G5 iMac at WWDC. Apple would be showing the developer community that they are serious about this chip and are planning to move as much of the product line to it as possible, unlike the G4 which took 3 years to get into the iMac. I mean the G4 just made it into the iBook a few months ago and for a while there was no real incentive to write Altivec code when the vast majority of Mac couldn't take advantage of it.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It's a developer's conference, and developers will not have shelled out $1500 a head in order to hear about the new iMac - unless that machine happens to introduce some cool new tech of interest to developers.

I agree with HOM, the fact that the G5 would have migrated so quickly to Apple's consumer desktop would be of tremendous interest to developers. Suddenly the customer base for their G5 optimized code more than doubles.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Hardware

Here I will just list possible updates

imac G5

new design

1.6 1.8 or 2.0 GHz

up to 4gb ram

160 or 250gb harddrives

radeon 9600 pro 64mb

big price drop

Powermac G5

slightly smaller design

single or dual 2.2, dual 2.6 or dual 3.0

all up to 8 gb ram

1 to 4 250gb harddrives

isight update

Powermac G4 (yes, G4)

either

slight change in design

all dual 1.5GHz

200mhz bus

up to 4gb ram

major price drop

or

discontinuation of the G4 and OS9 entirely

emac

slight price drop

powerbook

slight price drop

Software

OS 10.4 tiger

appleworks 7

updates on iapps

some sort of program simalar to direct x for more game compatibility

Thats it.

Don't you love long posts
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I think the focus will definitely be on Tiger and a likely substantial XCode update. However, if the event passes without a new PowerMac or iMac there's going to be some sort of serious geek riot.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    From what I hear the Xcode folks are burning the midnight oil big time to get things ready in time for WWDC.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I also believe WWDC will be geared more towards showcasing Tiger. The only thing I'm fairly sure we'll see is updated PowerMac G5s (~2.5 Ghz). The iMac is due for an update but whether it will show up at the WWDC is anyone's guess. I'm hoping before that as I don't think they're quite ready to move over to a G5. I hope I'm wrong but...

C.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I was chatting to an Apple Rep during a trade show and during the conversation he reckoned the G5's would be updated at WWDC. We will see.

Dobby.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

From what I hear the Xcode folks are burning the midnight oil big time to get things ready in time for WWDC.

Let's hope so. I'm hoping Xcode 2.0 is a great update. I'm starting my first programming classes this fall and I'd love to use Xcode on a new Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    ecumeecume Posts: 4member
    Croquer is saying new PowerMacs at 3.2 ghz!!!

http://croquer.free.fr/
  • Reply 14 of 51
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecume

Croquer is saying new PowerMacs at 3.2 ghz!!!

http://croquer.free.fr/

I'd be VERY suprised if this was true. Personally I don't think that there will be those kinds speeds available 'till late this year in the form of a revised 970(FX) series chip (970GX?), if at all.

I won't cry if they are right though.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Because this is a developers presentation I think that the main part will be on Tiger and other development tools that go along with it. I believe that there may be a few "show & tells" (like Expose') but the main interest will be the degree that Tiger will be optimized for the 64 bit chips. It is possible that the install will be 2 CDs - start with a core install and then the installation program will auto-select 32 or 64 bit modules to finish up the installation - leaving a G5 with a very highly optimized OS.

I would also anticipate some rather impressive developer's tools, with a possible stroll on stage of an IBM VP that will talk about what they are releasing to speed things up a bit - both in development & performance.

On the hardware side, IBM's fab problems have delayed the introduction of the 2.2, 2.4 & 2.6 G5s for the PM. They could well be introduced before WWDC if chips quantities are available. The G5 iMac could also be released very soon after an upgraded PM. I don't think that either of these need to be announced at WWDC. The developers want to see the 3 gig introduced, not a 2.something.

If the interim (2.2 - 2.6) PM is announced ASAP there is still a need to announce the 3.0 (or higher) at WWDC, even if they have to state delivery in Sep/Oct. Same with a PB: Announce it with an Oct/Nov delivery time. The reason is that this conference is for developers and it is critical that Apple excite them on what is coming up on the PM line, and (with luck) on the PB line.

As for the iMac, I believe it would be very wise to have it out before WWDC so Steve can not only talk about the commitment to 64 bit chips, but also impress them with the huge backlog of orders.

Displays? I think that this is the last chance for Apple to announce a new range (and better prices) before they loose credibility in this area. This is one area where you can almost put a "sure thing" tag on.

A new iPod? If not before, this this is a good time, but Steve will have to give every paying attendee one free. I expect a larger HD and a color screen this time, with a few additional software features.

Of course, SJ will spend a few minutes at the start of the presentation with some very impressive stats on how things are going - just like last week's 3.3 million sales at TMS.

Much more than that and the keynote speech will have to be stretched an hour.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Powermac G4 will lose "power" in the name and get a letter or a cute word, along with ap extream, speed bump, 8xagp or 3 pci-x slots, whichever is cheaper to make, one optical drive, osx only and an entry price near the $600-$700 mark and dual chip rig out the door for $999, thus a consumer apple without attached display will be availible to the masses at a good price.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

But do you think it's possible that Apple will update Power Macs, LCDs AND unveil an iMac G5?

I think Steve J. would love to put on a show like that. A lot depends on IBM. Surely, new displays are a given.

I'll bet a large chunk of the keynote will be about 10.4 Tiger and then hopefully there will be a couple of hardware announcements.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Powermac G4 will lose "power" in the name and get a letter or a cute word, along with ap extream, speed bump, 8xagp or 3 pci-x slots, whichever is cheaper to make, one optical drive, osx only and an entry price near the $600-$700 mark and dual chip rig out the door for $999, thus a consumer apple without attached display will be availible to the masses at a good price.

what are you smoking?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Let's hope so. I'm hoping Xcode 2.0 is a great update. I'm starting my first programming classes this fall and I'd love to use Xcode on a new Mac.

XCode 1.2 will be just fine ... actually gcc would be just fine
  • Reply 20 of 51
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac

Software

appleworks 7...

From your lips to the Lord's ears...

(I'm resigned to the fact that only Heaven can help us now.)