NEW iBOOK COMING SOON!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>G4 CPU.

The iBook's performance lags so far behind that of Wintel laptops that it's hurting sales....the iBook is a good 2-3 years behind comparable Wintels in performance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you remember when the iBooks first came out? They were so heads and shoulders above the Wintel laptop offerings. How quickly it's been surpassed. Give us a G4, tomorrow.

[quote]Originally posted by Stratosfear:

<strong>

Where do you need processor power? iBook is enough powerful for www & emails & writing docs etc... iBook is ideal computer for that kind of work, because it's small, battery life is good and it isn't so heavy. If you need powerful computer, buy workstaion PC with Intel P4 or faster processor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ever try OSX on an iBook? It's not a pleasant experience.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Jaguar works great on my iBook 500.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>Jaguar works great on my iBook 500.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to disagree. I have a 600 and I can't stand to use Jag on it. Of course I am use to my iMac 800. But if thats all your are use to than....maybe thats why.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>G4 CPU.

It's time. Widespread Altivec optimizations have rendered the G3 obsolete. Without Altivec, current PPCs are utterly pathetic when compared to Wintel CPUs. The iBook's performance lags so far behind that of Wintel laptops that it's hurting sales....the iBook is a good 2-3 years behind comparable Wintels in performance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What? Last year's wintel laptops had 700Mhz celerons in them. I'd hate to even think about what kind of shitty low-end wintel laptops were out 2-3 years ago, but it certainly wouldn't compare at all with today's iBook, or even the original iBook.

The iBooks are pretty decent, but could use a good kick. Unfortunately, I don't expect to see them surpassing the clock speed on the iMacs, so unless the iMacs get updated, the iBooks won't get much faster.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>Jaguar works great on my iBook 500.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Works great on my iBook 500 too.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    A G4 iBook would be great but it is doubtful. The Powerbook and iBook would be too close together b/c the G4 specs won't allow the ti seperate itself to be that much faster, unless you think the 1.25 will go into a Powerbook (which it won't). AS much as it sucks we are stuck with G3s for another few months in the iBook. A G4 iBook at 800 and 667 mhz would kill off a 1Ghz and 800 mhz Powerbook. Apple will not drop the processor speed of the iBook (with 500 and 600mhz g4s replacing 600 and 700mhz G3s) even if they put a G4 in it b/c a lot of consumers will not understand.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Works great on my iBook 500 too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

..bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce OPEN!!

yep works great, just a tad tad tad tad slooooowww
  • Reply 28 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by slick501b:

<strong>Maybe tommorrow will be the Apple Tuesday we've been waiting for. </strong><hr></blockquote>

There's usually more buzz a day away than is presently the case. But from the rumors floating around, next week is a more hopeable possibility.

(I will wait that long, but not longer, to buy my iBook. One can only be manipulated by rumors for so long before they should shrug them off and bite the bullet, and I need a portable for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.)
  • Reply 29 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Awimoway:

<strong>

There's usually more buzz a day away than is presently the case. But from the rumors floating around, next week is a more hopeable possibility.

(I will wait that long, but not longer, to buy my iBook. One can only be manipulated by rumors for so long before they should shrug them off and bite the bullet, and I need a portable for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ha Ha. hopefully you will get the last one, and they will release the new one for the rest of us!!
  • Reply 30 of 56
    jaguar works fine in an iBook 500 if you have added RAM...if you need to write papers/internet/wireless, i don't see a problem...but as far as future hardware, i see Apple going towards widescreen on the new iBook line and sticking w/ the G3...
  • Reply 31 of 56
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by Awimoway:

<strong>

I will wait that long, but not longer, to buy my iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

we're in the same boat, I will order on Nov. 6th, new or not even at the risk of biting my a$$ if the new ones are much better (wich I somewhat doubt anyway).

What I'd love to have:

800 - 1000MHz G3 (G3 because of lower power -&gt; lower heat -&gt; lower noise -&gt; longer lasting battery)

256MB RAM built in

20 - 30 GB HD is plenty for my use

maybe slightly faster Bus

build in Bluetooth (yepp, why should I have to use Adapters, I hate Adapters)

can't decide on the screen yet. It'd be nice to have a slightly higher resolution (on a 13" screen), specially for MacOS X but then again the 12" screen is what makes the iBook so portable (and sweet ;-) ).

Bring them on Apple.

cheers.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    atrusatrus Posts: 17member
    As I understood it, it wasn´t this tuesday, buit in a week.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    frostfrost Posts: 18member
    It seems some place very hot must be covered over with ice. The Appleinsider front page has been updated! I wonder if they mean both the iBook and Powerbook when they say "Sources indicate that a revision to Apple's portable lines is on the horizon and will likely arrive during the next two weeks -- possibly on November 5."
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Also one sign might be that I noticed in the Applestore is that the estimated build time for ibooks and powerbooks has been extended to 6-8 days instead of 1-2 days that it previously was.

That'd be past the Nov 5th...
  • Reply 35 of 56
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The new iBooks should also have (at least) 256MB RAM as standard.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    by trailmaster

"..bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce OPEN!!

yep works great, just a tad tad tad tad slooooowww "

Well, if you would just leave your apps open and quit using X like 9, you won't have those bounces.

I maxed out the ram in my iBook 500 and this really helped. My brother has a 600 and the faster bus is noticeable. (He also maxed out his ram.)

I am really hoping Apple stays with the G3 for the iBook and goes for 1 Ghz and a bigger bus in the short term. Switching to G4 with same or slower Ghz would be seen as a bad thing to the public.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    What was the highest G3 in the powerbook before they switched over to the G4? 500?
  • Reply 38 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by jiphee:

<strong>Also one sign might be that I noticed in the Applestore is that the estimated build time for ibooks and powerbooks has been extended to 6-8 days instead of 1-2 days that it previously was.

That'd be past the Nov 5th... </strong><hr></blockquote>

It's still 1-2 days for orders that require no modifications.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>What was the highest G3 in the powerbook before they switched over to the G4? 500?</strong><hr></blockquote>

500MHz G3 750
  • Reply 40 of 56
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah, I have an iBook 500 with OS X 10.1.4 (copying Jag soon... is it possible to copy the CDs?)

Anyway, with 128 megs of RAM, it was a joke. Unusable. Seriously, someone that tells you otherwise is full of it. Like these people with beige machines and OS X. How the hell can you live with that?

But after adding 256 megs of RAM it's much better. Now I just need Jag and it'll be fine for my low-end needs.