UI fun

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so I've hinted at this for a while now, whenever someone mentions Minority Report as a UI model. Now it's hitting mainstream publications and not just research journals, the patent filing is underway, and we're more free to talk about it. (But no, sadly, not distribute it.)

Enjoy.

http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/spr2004/facetop.html

(Oh, and it's really damned cool with Cocoa Gestures. )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Very cool.

When you need to collaborate this is a great way to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, or just run your own computer. It essentially replaces the mouse.

Karl, the other grad student on the project, (they misspelled his name, the poor guy ) almost never uses his mouse anymore while working. He finds this easier in many ways.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I am sending this link to EVERYONE I know!

Hey, shouldn't this be in Hobbes' thread, you selfish baguette?!
  • Reply 4 of 70
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Distribute! Distribute! Distribute!

You hinted at this earlier before. What was your part in the project? When will we see this for everyone?
  • Reply 5 of 70
    That's my ugly mug in the pic - I'm co-inventor.

As for when we'll see it... dunno. UNC owns the patent on it, since we're both university employees. And of course, they want a business model and fee system in place before handing out any licenses for the tech. But... we've already had a few nibbles. (I'm hoping Apple comes calling, but to be honest, I fully expect we'd get into a lawsuit battle before they licensed it - it's just how they do things these days...)

If nothing comes of it, I'm definitely hanging onto my own personal copy of the source anyway.

Funny bit - my advisor, the co-inventor, spent almost three months trying to get something working on his NT/2000 boxen. Three different FireWire PCI boards, four different video cameras, four different video boards. Never worked once. As in, never worked even with the video board vendor-supplied demo apps for transparency. (It's a limitation of the Windows graphics architecture, pure and simple - this will never work under the current Windows system.)

The day he was ready to throw in the towel completely, I said, "Lemme see what I can do." That night I whipped up a workable prototype in 45 minutes on my Pismo laptop... including reading the documentation.

That week he ordered a dual G4. The next month, at 17" PB. When they were released, a dual G5. And so it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

That week he ordered a dual G4. The next month, at 17" PB. When they were released, a dual G5. And so it goes.

so, about releasing a version for longhorn... how big do you see this getting while it is only available for OS X? (next 3 years or so)

maybe you will win a best in show award at Macworld this year!
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

so, about releasing a version for longhorn... how big do you see this getting while it is only available for OS X? (next 3 years or so)

No idea. We have a lot of "oooh *cool*!" interest, but nobody stepping up to the plate to license it for a product... which doesn't surprise me.

Quote:

maybe you will win a best in show award at Macworld this year!

*laugh* Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. It's quite usable, but still not consumer ready. Makes a heck of a research demo though... especially with a projector onto a 20' screen.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Yup, or just run your own computer. It essentially replaces the mouse.

Karl, the other grad student on the project, (they misspelled his name, the poor guy ) almost never uses his mouse anymore while working. He finds this easier in many ways.

How does that feel regarding muscle fatigue/RSI?

Ive always intuited that holding your arm up the monitor would get tough after 8 hours. Never been able to try tho.

Whats the level of accuracy of the thimble? Looks like it puts a pretty big square up on the screen.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    The square is the search region, the actual cursor location is pretty bloody stable. Karl has enough practice with it that he can plop the cursor between any two given letters in Xcode, select a few characters, and edit. I'm not quite that good with it. Anyone can pick up the thimble and move the mouse around for most icon based tasks in about two seconds though.

Muscle fatigue is an issue if you're doing something like graphics with it, but if you're coding, writing, or other tasks that don't need a lot of mousing around on a constant basis, it's a non-issue. Think about how often you use your mouse, and realize that it's often faster to just lift your arm and point.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Show us the movie again. Please. You made a movie a while ago didn't you?
  • Reply 11 of 70
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    This is some pretty cool stuff. I can see somewhat of a future. It is a very tough thing though, because changing peoples habits is probably one of the toughest things to accomplish.

No matter how intuitive it actually is, there is some serious adjustments that have to be done on a mental level. It is kinda on the same level of a Windows user coming to OS X. They think it should be one way because that is how Windows is, and when you tell them it is simpler, it takes a second to click in their minds.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Well, we haven't had anyone unable to use it after a couple of seconds.

"Just move your finger over what you want to point at." "Ah, okay."

In one mode, the video is only visible while your thimble is in camera view, otherwise it fades out completely. So while you're typing, no video visible. Lift your hand, video pops up, cursor follows finger, manipulate data. When done, drop hand back to keyboard and continue typing, video fades out.

Previous systems have required multiple cameras, serious spatial registration, and even radio transmitters. Ours just requires a Mac, 10.3, and a FireWire camera.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Well, we haven't had anyone unable to use it after a couple of seconds.

"Just move your finger over what you want to point at." "Ah, okay."

In one mode, the video is only visible while your thimble is in camera view, otherwise it fades out completely. So while you're typing, no video visible. Lift your hand, video pops up, cursor follows finger, manipulate data. When done, drop hand back to keyboard and continue typing, video fades out.

Previous systems have required multiple cameras, serious spatial registration, and even radio transmitters. Ours just requires a Mac, 10.3, and a FireWire camera.

Sounds awesome man. I think you guys have overcome probably one of the bigger hurdles. Hope to see more of it in the future.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    so, has someone written a review for slashdot yet?
  • Reply 15 of 70
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Woo-hoo, go UNC!

See, isn't Chapel Hill great? What did Duke ever do for anyone?
  • Reply 16 of 70
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    wow. that is incredible. i can't even explain how awesome this idea is to me. it's just...amazing! you guys rule!
  • Reply 17 of 70
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    so *this* is it.

you're a smart one, jason.

*scurries back into oblivion*
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Sad thing is... this *isn't* 'it'... as in my dissertation.

This is just a little side diversion.

But thanks though... it's kinda spiffy.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    give us a good old leak.

you know you want to.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    No can do, man, or I would have had this puppy on sourceforge months ago.

Besides, do you know the *HELL* I've gone through the past few months keeping my blasted mouth shut?!?