Tim Russert on Charlie Rose

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tim Russert guested on Charlie Rose's show tonight and began with the presumption of pimping a book he's just written, but the bulk of the interview was centered around Iraq. Some of the key points covered:

* there are more shocking photos and video yet to be released, including episodes of forced sex between the prisoners.

* a question about where all the hoods and the dog collar came from. The notion that this was planned by someone higher up and that the search will continue.

* Rumsfield's situation is still in flux

* Colin Powell is expected to complete this four year term but move away afterward.

* the 18 deciding states are split 45% to 45% and what he thinks it will take to win them.

* poll numbers, while lined up against Bush, are devastating for Kerry in that 44% of those polled feel that Kerry is wishy washy.

* he wants to have the most important guests on the most important issues every week (well duh!)

Russert's excitement always makes the discussion more interesting, he is to political discussion what Bob Costas was to baseball.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Zogby predicts Kerry will win. He chose Bush narrowly defeating Gore during the last election. Pretty significant prediction-- from a guy basically sticking his neck out and risking his company's credibility. (Versus Russert-- who is a shameless corporate news hack and in my unqualified opinion a bigger douchebag than Kerry.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

* poll numbers, while lined up against Bush, are devastating for Kerry in that 44% of those polled feel that Kerry is wishy washy.

I'd like to see Kerry doing better in the polls, but the current situation is much more worrisome for Bush than it is for Kerry. Having growing negatives like Bush now has, and having an opponent so close with just under six months to go until the election, spells major trouble for an incumbent President.

Keep in mind that Kerry has barely come out swinging yet. He's saving his money spend closer to election. I think you'll see and hear a lot more from Kerry during and after the Democratic Convention. Once there's more counterbalance to the shallow negative attacks on Kerry (which, unfortunately due to the way our system works, will largely be shallow and negative attacks on Bush), expect to see Kerry's numbers go up.

Republican attacks on Kerry as a "flip flopper" aren't very substantial when you examine his record a little more deeply that what one gets out of a 30-second attack ad, or a rant from Rush. As many voters don't look any deeper, however, Rovian tactics are having their effect.

I think Kerry can shake of some of the "wishy washy" impression simply by speaking out more loudly and more often about what he plans to do as President. It won't have much to do with directly answering charges made against him, it will have more to do with political theater.

In any event, if Bush loses (which, to my relief, is beginning to seem more and more likely) it will probably be Bush's negatives, not Kerry's positives, that bring him down. The wildcard is once again Nader -- expect to see Republicans quietly funneling more money into his campaign
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Russert is one of the few people left on American TV who asks tough questions of his guests. His Sunday evening show on CNBC (or is it MSNBC?) is sort of a schmooze fest, but his daytime show on Sundays is still one of the few places where guests can expect a rough ride. He's also one of the few people left on TV who doesn't show bias towards one side of a political debate. He's certainly better than Rose who is more akin to Jay Leno than Russert.

The thing about Kerry being wishy-washing that's troubling isn't whether it's true or not (he's a poltician so it's nothing special really), it's that the Republican TV campaign is working. This is basically a popular election, not a meritous one, so perception is everything. Certainly, if this prisoner thing (why do they insist on calling them "detainees" on TV?) keeps getting worse (and it will), expect Bush to really be hurt by it. Again, perception is everything, and if Bush's picture is shown along side that stuff often enough, it will stick.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    ShawnJ, why do you refer to Russert as a shameless corporate news hack and douchebag. Give a few examples of why he deserves such a labeling.

Of the media folks on the right I have always found him to be one of the more moderate and fair voices.

I found it very interesting how he gave the Kerry campain "advice" on how to beat Bush. He did it very carefully, without appearing to be on the Kerry bandwagon.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah Shawn, what up with the Russert hate?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I was really impressed listening to Russert last night. My perception of him, from watching his show, was that he's a hack who likes playing gotcha with often-meaningless or misinterpreted quotes, and who seemed to always nuzzle right up to the real question but never quite ask it, never quite drive a point home. But on Charlie Rose he was impressively insightful, able to look at an issue from all sides, and obviously very well studied. He semed to very thoughtfully have formed strong opinions that he was able to convincingly express. He should let that persona out a bit more on his show. Be a dog with a bite to match his bark. If only his corporate masters would let him...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I was really impressed listening to Russert last night. My perception of him, from watching his show, was that he's a hack who likes playing gotcha with often-meaningless or misinterpreted quotes, and who seemed to always nuzzle right up to the real question but never quite ask it, never quite drive a point home. But on Charlie Rose he was impressively insightful, able to look at an issue from all sides, and obviously very well studied. He semed to very thoughtfully have formed strong opinions that he was able to convincingly express. He should let that persona out a bit more on his show. Be a dog with a bite to match his bark. If only his corporate masters would let him...

Well said.