File Systems: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Unix FS

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Am interested in hearing from anyone who's reformatted a Rev B PB G4 with Unix File System. Did it prove to be good, bad, ugly? I'm doing at this moment and was just wondering whether I'll be sorry and re-re-formatting later this afternoon...thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i found on occasion that the UFS had trouble with odd character names, and didn't always like to copy massive files (it was like 4GB or maybe 20GB or larger files).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    UFS is case sensitive. A lot of Mac software doesnt play well with that.

Additionally there are semantics in the file system api that rely on HFS ( tightly coupled ), which arent represented well by UFS.

Only use UFS for server software that is already coming from unix development roots. Its really intended for deploying server apps without having to modify them to match HFS semantics.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

UFS is case sensitive. A lot of Mac software doesnt play well with that.

Additionally there are semantics in the file system api that rely on HFS ( tightly coupled ), which arent represented well by UFS.

Only use UFS for server software that is already coming from unix development roots. Its really intended for deploying server apps without having to modify them to match HFS semantics.

Thanks both. Restoring files last night from my iDisk, was getting system error messages like I've never ever had before. I went back to MacOS Extended this morning. Now the machine is happy.