E3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Has anyone read about the console from infinium, the phantom?

Looks like a good deal, pay per view does great for movies, why not for games especially for ones you might want to try before you buy.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Well it looks like Nintendo owned both Sony and MS's announcements.

The DS is going to truly rock the PSP. Dual screens, touch pad, wifi, BT?, backwards compatible, and N64 capable graphics = OMG! The DS supports up to 16 players while connected locally. Imagine a 16 person Super Smash Bros brawl, or 16 player Perfect Dark death match. My mind is still racing.

The GCN announcements were great too. Adult Zelda, Metroid Prime 2, RE4, and Geist all look amazing.

I can't wait for the show floor to open so we can get some hands on videos.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmgeist

Has anyone read about the console from infinium, the phantom?

Looks like a good deal, pay per view does great for movies, why not for games especially for ones you might want to try before you buy.

Go HERE first to read about this little venture company...Doesn't sound too promising to me...But, who knows I could be wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

el reg leaks a pic of the new nintendo

linky

is it me, or does that look like the original orange donkey kong handled from my youth?!

well it looks nice maybe all the eleven year olds of the world will dream about it but never get it
  • Reply 25 of 38
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    it is going to fucking rock.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Zelda looks incredible. Those textures look great. I wonder if maybe Nintendo will keep two visual styles going: One for the Hero of Time (realistic) and one for the Hero of Winds (Cel-Shaded).
  • Reply 27 of 38
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
  • Reply 28 of 38
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i love the look of that

i actually prefer it to the nintendo...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Well, I think murbot is going to have to buy a PS2 or Xbox.

Playboy is coming out with a game where you get to pay Hef. It should be out just in time for Christmas.

• Reply 30 of 38
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

Zelda looks incredible. Those textures look great. I wonder if maybe Nintendo will keep two visual styles going: One for the Hero of Time (realistic) and one for the Hero of Winds (Cel-Shaded).

It seems that they went through two games with the cel-shaded (Wind Waker and Four Swords) on the GamCube and a couple on the Game Boy. Now we begin the next era of it. I would like to see some more in-game shots, such as seeing what the on screen controls look like and such.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Well- after the dust settled and every things revealed (for the most part) let me tell you what I'm most excited about!

1. The new Zelda!

Holy crap! I almost died when I got home from work and saw they announced this! I was initially disappointed when they released "cel-da", but bought it and was really impressed and enjoyed the game. But I can't wait for this title to come out! At last people will see the gamecube's line up and not think "kiddie".

2. The DS!

I sold my gameboy advanced sp on ebay about 2 months ago because I didn't play it enough. Now that summer's here I wish I could sit outside and game! I love the fact that I can play advanced games on it and the wi-fi capabilities are sweet too. I read somewhere that it had bluetooth, but not everyone is saying that it has wi-fi and nintendo own close range wireless networking standard. I was looking forward to the bluetooth support- it would be interesting with my powerbook and SE T616... I like some of the game ideas also... I'm a sucker for Mario.

3. Metroid Prime 2

I really loved the first one and this one looks even better. 'Nuff said.

4. Resident Evil 4

This game looks like it plays absolutely amazing and the graphics are gorgeous! I really liked the remake of the original for the gamecube- everything except the static camera angles.

5. Doom 3

It looks ultra creepy and I might be able to play it on my powerbook (thats a big maybe)...

6. Half-Life 2

For some reason the sound and movement in this game looks super sweet. I love the fact that the developers are moving away from mindless shooting rampages and actually requiring the players to think about how they go about doing things.

Sony really didn't have anything and neither did microsoft. Sony had the PSP which looks pretty sweet, but I bet its going to be super expensive and have bad battery life. Halo 2 looked pretty good, but I'm not buying an X-Box for 1 game.

Is it just me or do the upcoming games have really natural movement in them? All the action seems hyper-realistic and stuff. The developers must be using some major motion capture 'cause the model animation is looking a tom better from the last generation of games...
  • Reply 32 of 38
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm really impressed with both of the new portable gaming systems.... I haven't seen many screen shots from the DS, but the PSP is very impressive. I can't believe the huge leap these two bring to portible gaming. Here's some screens of Metal Gear Solid on PSP:

Look how big the screen is compared to the Gameboy SP

• Reply 33 of 38
    Those screen shots of the PSP are from an emulator. According to the Sony press conference, there are no games running on the PSP right now, but the developers have a set of development tools that include an emulator.

As for the PSP itself, the screen looks great and I have no doubt that it will produce some really fun games with PS2 like graphics. I am concerned that Sony is going to lock down the audio and video formats. As in, you will only be able to play ATRAC audio purchased from Sony Connect and will only be able to watch movies bought from Sony on the discs.

Also, I have misgivings about the battery life. Sony says that it will only have 2.5 hours of battery life when watching a movie and I assume that playing a game will be slightly better than that. However, 3 hours of gameplay is not really going to do it, especially when both the GBA SP and the DS get about 10 hours. Also, I'm nervous that the PSP is going to be a dumping ground for PS1 and PS2 ports. I don't really feel like paying for games and movies that I already have.

However, it will all come down to games. If the PSP gets some great AAA titles and the price isn't insane, I could see it doing well. Although I have a strong feeling that the DS is going to see some truly revolutionary games, but I am not sure that they are going to be accessible to all players.

I've got some more E3 musings to come...

• Reply 34 of 38
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm sure the PSP will have a ton of great games.

There's about a hundred publishers and developers for it. The battery life is worrysome, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I also hear that it's 2.5 hours video / 10 hours audio.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Look how big the screen is compared to the Gameboy SP

Yeah- but fold the gameboy up and put it in your pocket and see which one you would rather carry around...
  • Reply 36 of 38
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

I don't get it? Whats the big deal? All it is is a photoshoped PSP- the LYNX sucked anyway. Game Gear all the way....
  • Reply 38 of 38
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    Are you serious? The Lynx had THE best version of California Games, and Klax and S.T.U.N. Runner :-D

To remind you of how bad the GameGear could get, try playing Taz-Mania On the other hand I remember playing Wonderboy in Monsterland on that till the batteries wore out. Great days.

Now the Nomad and PC Engine GT...