What was your 1st car, or what is going to be your first car?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    A 1974 Ford Pinto, which ran great. I hated how "uncool" it was so I traded it for a 1976 Chevy Luv mini-pickup which ran like crap and that I hated forever. It taught me the lesson that the coolest car is one that moves.

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

'75 Dodge Dart with a Slant 6. Black body, white top, electric blue interior. Looked like a police car on acid.

too funny. mine was a '76 sky blue dodge dart named bob that i got from my brother who got it from my grandfather. bob got it's name from the the license plates that where BOB something something something. bob was a great road trip car. plenty of room for five or six of my buds and a keg or two in the trunk. bob was a good car. i miss you bob.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport

1999 Volvo V70
  • Reply 24 of 55
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    1st: POS renault fuego turbo. Drove it probably 3 or 4 times when I was 14, then sold it a few months later.

2nd: ford econoline conversion van I bought and used for a few months before it died in the last 2 miles of a straight run from wyoming to chicago. It would have been easy to fix, but I wasn't interested in trying to maneuver it around city streets.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    1978 Honda Accord LX CVCC

Much like the car in the image below:

Mine was 2 tone. The front of the car was a purpleish burgandy, while the rear (from the windshield back) was a faded burgandy. Mine also had lots of rust holes.

I drove it until one of my friends "borrowed" it while I was asleep and rolled it!
  • Reply 26 of 55
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    A 1967 Barracuda, like this one, except mine had a black bumble-bee stripe on the back. I wish I still had it.

• Reply 27 of 55
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i don't drive, as of yet, but i've considered getting my license. when/if i succeed at that, and then acrue a small fortune, i'm gonna get a jag. cuz, in spite of their being from the wrong island, they are sweet automobiles. i really like the old ones, like 60s-ish. i want a fast one, with no top.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    brbr Posts: 8,395member

1974 Plymouth Scamp
  • Reply 29 of 55
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    My first car was a truck. A white 1968 Ford F-150 PU. It was in good shape when I bought it in 1971. I put those white ceramic beauty rims on it (they had just come out...) and had a mural of Led Zep's first LP painted on the tailgate! It was fine.

Man I wish I had converted those photos of it to digital format. A psycho, err, my ex, threw away a bunch of my stuff. Including photos of my pick up! Ain't love grand...
  • Reply 30 of 55
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry about this being posted twice. Who really looks a year back to see if it was made. I think this was my first thread success without any bashing on me. Oh great with that said, here comes all the bashing on me. I shouldn't have said that.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    My parents told me that they will give me the new Mazda 3s after I got out of college.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

My parents told me that they will give me the new Mazda 3s after I got out of college.

i was planning on giving my daughters each one of these to take to college (actually, one for college, one for high school and then college)...want to get them reliable cars that will last awhile...that way i don't have to buy them any more...sort of, "there you go girls, have fun, be safe and i am never buying you another car again, so take care of it"

my eldest right now has a 1990 acura legend...we hope it lasts her till she is out of high school...we told her she could get a new car for graduation...

now the younger daughter is starting drivers ed and wants a car also...dang those kids...we are rethinking the used car angle and will likely just get them nice cars, one time only

g
  • Reply 33 of 55
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    63 Dart wagon that I paid $300 dollars for. When the battery quit charging in the car, I started taking it out and leaving it on a wall charger till I needed to drive it again.

I made the mistake of leaving it in front of a "nice" house for a few days (it was a serious beater) and the city of Berkeley towed it away. I signed over the pink slip and that was that.

One nice thing about driving a "bad car" is nobody can doubt that you have nothing to lose. "Oh, hello Mr. Beemer, did you want to cut me off? What possible reason do I have to not just ram into you right now? Look at this thing! Do you think I care? Do I look like somebody who has insurance?

Or for that matter, a reason to live? That's right, you would do best to give a wide berth, my friend."
  • Reply 34 of 55
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Unless you're going to tow stuff or be a poser, there's no reason to get a big pickup, such as the Z71 you're talking about.

The Colorado is actually quite small. It's the S10 replacement.

I saw a Colorado on the street the other day. It's rather a nice truck, and I'm definitely not a truck person.

My first car to drive was a 1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel.

My first car to own was a 1986 Mercedes 190E. I'm currently in the process of replacing the cassette deck with a Sony XM ready deck that supports my iPod as well as 4 new speakers, 2 front, 2 rear.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Also, the colorado gets decent mpg. 19 mpg city and 22 mpg highway. For an inline 5 to get 220 HP is really cool. I am planning to go to Florida for college. I will be taking it on car legal beaches ( if there is any). My parents need a truck for its bed. To put in a snowblower, tractor, tree brnaches. My parents suburban just won't cut it. The colorado can pull 2 tons. I might be getting a jet ski for a grad present so I will need a hauling truck. Here is 2 links for ya splinemodel. Yes by saying the colorado is a big truck compared to the S10. But, comparted to the silverado, it is just another baby in the group.

coloardo:

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado/

S10:

http://www.chevrolet.com/s10/
  • Reply 36 of 55
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Me and the girlfriend are looking at a Toyota Prius. Any car nerds want to chime in on that thing? Worth it? Crap? It'll be our first.

Everything I've read about it says that it's the best hybrid on the market. One guy test drove it for a magazine, and after work, went out and bought it. There's also supposedly a 6-8 month wait on custom models.

Mine? Most likely a 93 Mercedes 190E (With 41000 miles!)
  • Reply 37 of 55
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    I bet mine will be some 80's hotrod.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Mine? Most likely a 93 Mercedes 190E (With 41000 miles!)

My '86 Mercedes 190E had only 54,000 when I bought it last year.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    My first car will most likely be a Plymouth Breeze (1999), becaues I can get one cheap from a friend who is moving to collage that year.

But what I'd really like a 1967 Mustang convertible, cherry red.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    My first car was a dark-green Porsche 912... (I'm serious.)

...long story, that I won't get into.

First car I bought was a Honda Civic hatchback. I LOVED that little sweetie. Nothing *ever* went wrong with it, and it was so fun to drive. I had a roof-rack, and I would take four students backpacking - two packs in the hatch, three on top. It was great for going up skiing too. Never gave me a moment's worry.

Then I got an Accord hatchback, 5-speed. It was a lovely car, but the Civic was more reliable - that little sweetie.