10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 201 of 243
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That's kind of a feedback loop as to why you don't use Services. Services aren't as pervasive, robust or apparent as they could be, so you don't use them. But you don't want to make them more robust, pervasive or apparent because you don't use them. If services were improved, you you feel the same way? For me, services should be improved so they earn more prominence in the OS. They are admittedly of limited use for now.

BTW, to use the Grab service, you need to be in an app that can create a TIFF document, like Photoshop or Create. The fact that it doesn't work in Photoshop says more about Photoshop than the Grab service.

PS: Enough about making everything an option! Options are cop-outs for more intelligent solutions. But that's another discussion.
  • Reply 202 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

As much as we'd be flattered, the odds of this site being bundled with OS X are long indeed.

Sorry I didn't write it correctly A.I. should be A.I.= (Artificial Intelligence).

I edited the post.

My error

Although it would be amusing to have a rumour site integrated into an O.S. yes that?s (Operating system)

Just in case everyone mistakes it for (orange sherbet) Ha

Genuinely curios now, did you read the rest of the post? A good deal of effort went into writing it, there?s actually some on topic stuff in that post, no one even picked on the ideas?

Heres a constructive idea for the trash someone suggested that it be included in the finder in the side bar so that it can be browsed not bad. Moreover lets take it one step further and allow files that have been trashed and not had their addresses overwritten be recovered. Sort of a two level trash, i.e. a folder that has yet to be condemned files in it and a sub level that contains files that are overwritten as the system is used but that can be salvaged if necessary.

How useful do you think this would be?

Cheers
  • Reply 203 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That's kind of a feedback loop as to why you don't use Services. Services aren't as pervasive, robust or apparent as they could be, so you don't use them. But you don't want to make them more robust, pervasive or apparent because you don't use them. If services were improved, you you feel the same way? For me, services should be improved so they earn more prominence in the OS. They are admittedly of limited use for now.

BTW, to use the Grab service, you need to be in an app that can create a TIFF document, like Photoshop or Create. The fact that it doesn't work in Photoshop says more about Photoshop than the Grab service.

PS: Enough about making everything an option! Options are cop-outs for more intelligent solutions. But that's another discussion.

you can't use grab in preview! I see what you're saying but I don't know, what are services for? Is it like a way of doing things you do often quickly or what?
  • Reply 204 of 243
    I think services are a way to allow different apps to offer features to other apps, therefore making the system ass a whole more versatile and powerful. It just happens to be very poorly implemented, so it often looks like none of the services work. I think with time this should eventually correct itself (for the most part), as it is mostly up to the 3rd party developer to make sure his app supports services properly.
  • Reply 205 of 243
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

therefore making the system ass a whole...

You misspelled hole
  • Reply 206 of 243
    ha thats hilarious.

Well thats what you get when you've been up all night.

45 minutes of sleep... yey!
  • Reply 207 of 243
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    http://www.apple.com/accessibility/spokeninterface/

Apple?s spoken interface technology is currently in development and scheduled for delivery in the next major release of Mac OS X.

Score 1 for Captain Obvious.
  • Reply 208 of 243
    Great article to explain it all: Service Call

Just substitute, "OpenStep" with, "Mac OS X."

The Grab service works in some of my Cocoa applications like Create and TIFFany. I don't know why it doesn't work in Preview. I would have thought it would work there too.
  • Reply 209 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Great article to explain it all...

Great read to understand it all

Indeed, it gave me a good grasp of the relationship between that openstep thing and my beloved platform, which probably emerged from this nextstep thing .
  • Reply 210 of 243
    sorry mistake
  • Reply 211 of 243
    Yes, NeXTstep changed its name to OpenStep when NeXT dumped its hardware operation. It's just the later versions of it, aiming more for the enterprise market. Sound familair?
  • Reply 212 of 243
    I would like to see Address Book made more robust, have the ability to see others addresses via Rendevous exactly like iTunes and iPhoto. For example I have 4 computers networked in my house with my largest "database" of addresses on my "family computer" as of right now I have no way to access those addresses unless I "try" and use some useless third party app. I want it integrated.

Metadata would be an excellent addition if its done right.

After reading all of the previous posts, I agree that some if not all of the Services functions should be in the contextual menu, I can't tell you how many times I have made an archive and right clicked on it looking to email it only to end up bust. This would increase my work flow greatly.

An Apple database app built on open standards like postgre or mysql would be a most generous and welcome addition.

Other than that I just want them to WOW me with great innovation.

my 2¢

zen
  • Reply 213 of 243
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by averagezen

I would like to see Address Book made more robust, have the ability to see others addresses via Rendevous exactly like iTunes and iPhoto. For example I have 4 computers networked in my house with my largest "database" of addresses on my "family computer" as of right now I have no way to access those addresses unless I "try" and use some useless third party app. I want it integrated.

Apple sells Dot Mac for this very purpose. I doubt you're going to see Rendezvous support in Address Book.
  • Reply 214 of 243
    dot mac is great when I'm on the road and need webmail. I have no need to have 300 vCards sync'd to .mac and then sync it to my laptop. I just want to be able to go and get an address if i need it. Rendevous is an apple architecture and should be incorporated into all of its apps.

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 215 of 243
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Image capture should be merged into the System Preferences App much like the print and fax pane...

Image capture has the ability to share devices-who here knows about it?

the expose and dock panes could be merged into one similarly to how the Desktop and screen effects panes were consolidated...

3rd... multi-button mouse support should be better supported in the keyboard and mouse pane... currently there is no way to customize what each button does without loading some 3rd party driver... Why isn't this native?
  • Reply 216 of 243
    ultimately, the point of .Mac (no pun intended) is to synchronize computers, well, Macs anyway. For those of us who work on PCs a lot of the time, we only see part of this in action. But for those who use multiple Macs, .Mac is almost ideal. Still, pervasive Rendezvous would be great.

Anyway, who also knew that Image Capture lets you selectively import pictures, movies and songs, place them in their respective folders automatically and can run custom scripts of all sorts when you import them? It's really under-appreciated. Part of that is because it's out of the way. Part of that is because a lot of things are excused from not being more accessible because Applescript can handle it. That's fine for those who can write scripts, and really scripting is a great way to access these features and make custom features and workflow. I mean, that's the point of Applescript anyway. For others who don't know scripting but could take advantage of it, a more robust set of prepared scripts and better access to them from applications would be a very good idea. I still kind of see Services and AppleScript having the same sort of purpose, and I wonder how they might be combined or presented on equal terms to users, made more obvious to even Joe E-mail.
  • Reply 217 of 243
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Save and Shutdown?? Ahh my fantasy.
  • Reply 218 of 243
    Save and shutdown?

Just shutdown, and hit return when the app thats closing asks if you want to save. I don't see the fantasy in this.
  • Reply 219 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You missed the point.

It saves the current state of the memory (including VM) to disk, then on reboot, reads it back in. Essentially it freeze-dries what you're doing - all apps, files, etc, and lets you get back to the *exact* same point in your workflow automatically.
  • Reply 220 of 243
    what really bugs me:

when i double-click a folder in a finder window, which is set to collum-view, that particular window opens in an unpredictable view. Although the window-appearance is set previously to a certain appearance. hm. should be adressed in 10.4 or 10.3.5.