iTMS playing favorites with links?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've been going mad trying to open links in the iTMS tonight. Every Tuesday I go to the Just Added section and peruse the listing. Tonight, if I click on any link to a band that's even slightly less than mainstream, it chokes and times out. If I click on the popular stuff it goes right through. I've been at this for about half an hour, trying different artists, different genres and links from different weeks. I've tried everything from Air to Tupac, from 5 for Fighting to Yo Yo Ma. The result is consistent: a popular artist's link will open instantly and any other link times out. BTW, this is on a very fast cable modem, so it's not an ISP or network issue on my end of things.

I don't know what the deal would be, I would be surprised if Apple were doing something deliberate but is there any reasonable explanation for this phenomenon?

edit:

OK, it's not that consistent. I tried the Doors and INXS and they timed out too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Perhaps there are some issues with how independent labels upload as opposed to the major labels?

• Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    My guess would be that the most popular artists are on the faster servers since they will probably be hit more often.

But I would think that Apple would be using something like WO which has load balancing and stuff, so this shouldn't really be an issue... I can't imagine that they would be doing this on purpose, though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I really don't think it's deliberate, just that it's highly annoying for someone with off-center taste like me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I noticed the same thing here. Perhaps the songs haven't fully loaded into the system. Ahhh that's bs I bet you can search for the artists and get them just fine. I dunno what's going on.