Doesn't respond to clicks etc. under 1 user - Help?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iMac is acting funky.

Under my wife's user account everything is OK, but under mine I get very strange activities. My mouse will move around, highlight items etc., but clicks do nothing. Sometimes it will come back after a few minutes. Sometimes the movements of the mouse will be entirely igored by the GUI (dock items won't magnify) as well. Then, it's back to normal. It's extremely frustrating.

It's not a hardware issue because everythings fine when logged in as my wife. Any ideas?

Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Some software will do funny things to your machine.

Disconnect any network connections ( ethernet, modem, airport ) to eliminate the chance of remote control.

Stop any applications ( even perfectly safe seeming apps can cause issues, I just upgraded to adium 0.52 and it stops me from launching any further apps ). Uninstall or disable any drivers you might have installed. The key thing here is that there is some difference between you and your wifes accounts, which points to some software that is installed for you only, perhaps being launched as a login item.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Since the two accounts behave differently, either they are running different software, or some preferences files in your account are corrupted. First try what mmmpie suggested. Run top in Terminal in both accounts to make sure you both are running the same apps and system processes. Then check your disk, just in case, for file system errors (Disk Warrior highly recommended). Then repair permissions with Disk Utility. Then trash preferences in your account (~/Library/Preferences/) and restart. If nothing helps, create a virginally new account and use it instead of your current one.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Thanks,

Will try these suggestions ASAP and report on my progress. My startup items are identical to my wife's account, but maybe there is an additional process/driver etc. as mentioned.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'd actually do a "ps -aux" in the terminal rather than top.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    avalon409avalon409 Posts: 12member
    i have that issue on my powerbook g4 (rev C 12inch) .. is it that usb overdrive dealie messing with my mouse? would move around, no click, then comee back .. sometimes the scroll button clicks wont do nothing (as opposed to expose)