Mklinux and LinuxPPC.org?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, is there anyone left still developing MkLinux anymore? I now have a 60 GB for my "server" that I am going to setup as a hotline server or something. Any ways, I was considering Mklinux as its OS.

How about LinuxPPC.org? I haven't been able to connect to their site. I haven't been in the Linux world for about 3 years. Did LinuxPPC.org die when I was gone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bottleworks

So, is there anyone left still developing MkLinux anymore? I now have a 60 GB for my "server" that I am going to setup as a hotline server or something. Any ways, I was considering Mklinux as its OS.

How about LinuxPPC.org? I haven't been able to connect to their site. I haven't been in the Linux world for about 3 years. Did LinuxPPC.org die when I was gone?

Perhaps, this site might help you.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Yea, I know of MkLinux's main site. But it looks like support for it has died.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Why don't you take a look at http://yellowdoglinux.com/
  • Reply 4 of 13
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    mkLinux was always for Motorola 68K processors, and LinuxPPC was for PowerPC. It is really unsurprising that there is not much going on in mkLinux. Do you actually have a 68K computer that you want to use?

As JLL pointed out, YellowDogLinux is the major version of Linux that is currently under development for Mac hardware. Other possible *nix possibilities would include: NetBSD, darwin, or MacOS X....
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Is YellowDogLinux run on NuBus Mac?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

[B]mkLinux was always for Motorola 68K processors, and LinuxPPC was for PowerPC. It is really unsurprising that there is not much going on in mkLinux. Do you actually have a 68K computer that you want to use?

Umm, You must have Mklinux confused with another version of linux. Mklinux runs on PowerPC Based Macs. I found my copy of MkLinux. Here's a bit of the Readme/install.

Quote:

Machine List

============

MkLinux DR3 will run on the following PowerPC-based Macintoshes:

Power Macintosh 6100 Power Macintosh 9500

Performa 61xx Power Macintosh 9500/180MP

Workgroup Server 6150 Power Macintosh 9515

Power Macintosh 7100 Power Macintosh 9600

Power Macintosh 8100 Power Macintosh 9600/200MP

Power Macintosh 8115 Workgroup Server 9650

Workgroup Server 8150

Workgroup Server 9150 Power Macintosh 4400

Power Macintosh 5400

Power Macintosh 7200 Performa 54xx

Power Macintosh 7215 Power Macintosh 5500

Power Macintosh 7220 Performa 6360

Workgroup Server 7250 Power Macintosh 6400

Power Macintosh 7300 Performa 64xx

Workgroup Server 7350 Power Macintosh 6500

Power Macintosh 7500 20th Anniversary Macintosh

Power Macintosh 7600

Power Macintosh 8200 PowerBook 3400

Power Macintosh 8500 Power Macintosh G3 Desktop

Power Macintosh 8515 Power Macintosh G3 Minitower

Workgroup Server 8550 PowerBook G3

Power Macintosh 8600

Notes:

Some of the high-end Power Macintoshes and Workgroup Servers use a PCI-based

SCSI adapter to access Fast-Wide or Ultra-Wide SCSI devices. At this time,

MkLinux cannot access SCSI devices attached via PCI adapters. In order to use

MkLinux DR3 on these machines, you will need to attach a separate SCSI disk to

the Macintosh's onboard or external SCSI connector.

MkLinux has some difficulty accessing various IDE drives that have been

shipped on some Macintosh systems. MkLinux will not recognize these drives;

thus, the MkLinux installer will not report them in its drive list. As an

alternative, you can install MkLinux DR3 onto an external SCSI drive. Check

the Frequently Asked Questions on www.mklinux.apple.com for current

information, patches, workarounds, etc.

MkLinux DR3 will run on many of the Macintosh clones. If you have one of

these machines, your best bet is to try the installation process and see how

things go. If you have problems, send a note to the mklinux-setup list.

• Reply 7 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    Try penguinppc.org. That seems to be the new home for the PPC version of linux.

Personally, I've been using yellowdog.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Thanks everyone, it looks like I will be trying out YDL.

So, does anyone know the story of the death of LinuxPPC? I see they released a 2000 CD, then no more. Was it just an "up and gone" thing?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Is YellowDogLinux run on NuBus Mac?

No
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    What hardware (besides a 60gig HDD) is this server consisting of?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

What hardware (besides a 60gig HDD) is this server consisting of?

Umm, nothing too exciting. It's a PMac G3 Mini Tower, 160 MB Ram, 4 GB Ultra SCSI HD, 60 GB IDE/ATA HD, Zip, CD-RW. I am making Toast disk images of all my CDs laying around. Then I can put them in the attic. I have a lot of work to do. I have all my Apple Developer Connection CDs, Mac OS X, Server, DP2, 4, Web Objects, Tons of CDs laying around in big stacks that I need to get out of the way.

Question about YDL: Does it use the A/UX file system? Is it limited to 2 GB per partition (A problem with MkLinux) or has that been fixed?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Thanks everyone, it looks like I will be trying out YDL.

So, does anyone know the story of the death of LinuxPPC? I see they released a 2000 CD, then no more. Was it just an "up and gone" thing?

Mostly. It was developed by one guy, who put in a valiant effort until he got in a serious car accident. He tried to recommit, even working on the project from his hospital bed, but things just didn't work out.

Last I heard he'd thrown his lot in with another distro, but that was a long time ago.

As for MkLinux, it was actually an Apple effort that died rather abruptly when the NeXT acquisition turned Apple into a BSD shop. But Apple's code was what allowed Linux to run on Macs in the first place, so it's had lasting effects.

YDL is at least synched up with the Red Hat distro, if that's any help.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Umm, nothing too exciting. It's a PMac G3 Mini Tower, 160 MB Ram, 4 GB Ultra SCSI HD, 60 GB IDE/ATA HD, Zip, CD-RW. I am making Toast disk images of all my CDs laying around. Then I can put them in the attic. I have a lot of work to do. I have all my Apple Developer Connection CDs, Mac OS X, Server, DP2, 4, Web Objects, Tons of CDs laying around in big stacks that I need to get out of the way.

Question about YDL: Does it use the A/UX file system? Is it limited to 2 GB per partition (A problem with MkLinux) or has that been fixed?

YDL would be fine for that setup.

It does not use the "A/UX" filesystem but I think it can read it. It would use the ext3 filesystem by default, which is a great filesystem. It can use partitions greater then 2gb... much greater. I think it is only limited to the hardware in bit address space because the latest kernel supports block devices larger then 2 tarabytes.

If you have had any experience with RedHat you will feel right at home with YDL.