Got weblogs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've found myself reading an increasing number of weblogs over the last year or so, to the point where almost all my regularly used browser bookmarks are 'blogs (after the obvious stuff like Google, eBay, Yahoo and AI). Some of these blogs are just random ranting, some are really funny and some of them are so good that I am as pleased to see a new blog entry as I used to be when I was 15 and a new issue of NME or Meoldy Maker (music magazines) came out.

So I was wondering, which AIers read blogs? What blogs do you read regularly?

I pretty much look at most of these at least once a day...

Gizmodo and Engadget - Professional blogs covering all things gadgety and gizmolike. The guy who started Engadget was the original writer for Gizmodo, (which is run as one of a number of pretty successful pro blogs). One or both of these people may also occasionally lurk at AI.

Blissblog - Music blog written by music journalist / writer Simon Reynolds (who I used to read religiously when he wrote for Melody Maker back in ver day).

Eurotrash - Foulmouthed rantings of an English woman in NYC. She's one of the funniest, most scathing writers I've ever read. Her thoughts on the online forum at the Wedding Channel website are well worth checking out.

Boing Boing - Sci-fi writer Cory Doctorow blogs about anything and everything that interests him. One of the most widely read blogs out there. Full of links to interesting, albeit slightly geeky stuff...

FluxBlog - Another music blog, but this one provides mp3s of the often obscure and impossible to find music discussed in each entry. A great resource for finding out about new and interesting music.

Anyone else have any favorites?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I read a whole bunch. The 5 big ones however:

Current Copyright Readings

Lessig's Blog

Talking Points Memo

Kevin Drum

Juan Cole

I have NetNewsWire packed up with feeds, but the whole rss thing just doesn't really do it for me. I'm on a ton of mailing lists so I prefer getting the full website when I can.

That woman at Eurotrash is great. I just read her bit on the ballet. Bookmarked.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
  • Reply 3 of 18
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Jeez, giant.

Atrios (Eschaton) is the biggest.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I have NetNewsWire packed up with feeds, but the whole rss thing just doesn't really do it for me. I'm on a ton of mailing lists so I prefer getting the full website when I can.

I use Bloglines for RSS feeds...it's web based, so I can access the same stuff from home as from work.

I actually kind of prefer using RSS feeds as it means I can see what has and has not got new stuff at a glance. Some blogs are so nicely designed that they really deserve to be read the way the writer intended (eg Plasticbag.org).
  • Reply 5 of 18
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Oh yeah, I just remembered my current favorite...

Manhattan Waiter (I have a couple of friends who work in the restauarnt business in NYC, so I can kind of relate)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    That woman from Eurotrash won't get under the skin of ballet dancers. We already know we're better than everybody else. That's why there's us, and then there's the rest of you normal, garden variety human beings. (oh for godsake people please take that with good humour)

kneelbeforezod why do you think the Gizmodo and Egadget dudes lurk here?

I love Boing Boing. All roads lead to Boing Boing and Boing Boing leads everywhere else.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I mostly just read those kept by my friends. Most of them wouldn't be too interesting to someone outside of my group of friends. One of my friends started one that was his life, embellished...sort of in the style of Big Fish (at least that was his inspiration), but it has , sadly, become just your standard, everyday blog. I've been using mine to write a story. That's that Cottage. Cheese. link down in my sig.

I'll have to check out some of the blogs linked in this thread.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    ...just wondering - what's your opinion of my blog (sort-of).
  • Reply 9 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If I had a blog, this would be on it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Holy fuck that is funny. I saw this and couldn't stop laughing.

• Reply 11 of 18
    kage2050kage2050 Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

I love Boing Boing. All roads lead to Boing Boing and Boing Boing leads everywhere else.

And the answer is 42.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

why do you think the Gizmodo and Egadget dudes lurk here?

One of them referenced rumors from AI w/r/t Apple product releases...I can't remember which one though.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

that is damn funny!

My Blog