MOVED: iBook Set up? Need some help

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be buying a "new" iBook, if it comes out before Jan. All speculation aside, how much RAM should I have if I am only going to be using it with, 10.2 x (Jaguar) web, MS-word, cd-burning. But possibly all at the same time? What would the noticeable differences be, between 256, and 384, and Hard Drives, is 20 gig big enough, to store mp3s on and not slow down the computer? Also is .Mac worth joining? What are the benefits?

Thanks I'm new to the mac world, and would really appreciate the help.

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by millsdude:

<strong>I'm going to be buying a "new" iBook, if it comes out before Jan. All speculation aside, how much RAM should I have if I am only going to be using it with, 10.2 x (Jaguar) web, MS-word, cd-burning. But possibly all at the same time? What would the noticeable differences be, between 256, and 384, and Hard Drives, is 20 gig big enough, to store mp3s on and not slow down the computer? Also is .Mac worth joining? What are the benefits?

Thanks I'm new to the mac world, and would really appreciate the help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Go with at least 384.. I recommend 512. OS X is RAM savvy and you will appreciate the speed. Also, Ram is super cheap... check <a href="http://www.macsales.com"; target="_blank">www.macsales.com</a> for good prices on RAM. You should be able to buy a 512M so-dimm to add into the second slot for around 50-60$... for that price you will have 768 meg (assuming new ibook has 256M so-dimm in other slot). A little overkill, but only a few dollars more than the 256M so-dimm. 20 gig hard drive should be fine based off the uses you listed. And again, honestly 384RAM would be fine, but it is just SO Cheap right now, I would go for a little more, it won't hurt to have it for future longevity of your machine.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The 512 is a good bet because in a year or so, that might be the norm.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Going to General Discussion, more of a purchasing advice question.