It's all in a name...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone! (golly, it must be nearly 6 months since I posted)

Anyhow, what I was thinking is that Apple need to call the next processor in the powermac the G5. It makes sense - the current G4s are very different to the first generation, incorporating many technologies that were going to be in the G5. It would technically be a new processor, and generate more positive publicity for Apple - the difference between a new product and an update.

Just my view...

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Or they could call it: Ned! G5 or Ned hmmm I'm torn.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    The MPC7457-RM could be called a G5. I think the IBM 970 will have a new non "G" name.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Algol:

<strong>The MPC7457-RM could be called a G5. I think the IBM 970 will have a new non "G" name.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Respectfully, I disagree, I think it'll be the G6 and the Moto G5 will power the consumer machines.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The moto chip in jan will just be a G4+ so I don;t think it will be a G5. Besides us zealots, no one knows what the hella G5 is anyways, so I don't think much market gain will come from a "G5" as opposed to a 1.4ghz G4+

It does sport a new mobo, but not enough improvments to warrant a new moniker IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    stevessteves Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>The moto chip in jan will just be a G4+ so I don;t think it will be a G5.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just for clarification, I don't think it will be called G4+ either. Perhaps this is what you meant. After the last significant change to the G4 (deeper piplelines, etc) it still remained "G4".

[quote]<strong>

Besides us zealots, no one knows what the hella G5 is anyways, so I don't think much market gain will come from a "G5" as opposed to a 1.4ghz G4+

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, especially when companies like Intel introduce newer chips with lower IPC rates, like the P4. Besides, anyone knowledgeable enough to look beyond clock speed, will probably know enough about the G4/G5 achritecture to know what difference there is (or isn't).

As for what a G5 is, until we hear something legitimate from MOT, we'll have to assume a G5 is a PPC970.

[quote]<strong>

It does sport a new mobo, but not enough improvments to warrant a new moniker IMO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Besides, CPU naming should be independent of motherboard enhancements. Typically, new CPUs come with considerably newer/redesigned motherboards. Obviously "Yikes" was an exception.

Steve
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    SteveS, I was mentioning the G4+ because that's what it will be technically, but I doubt it will be named that or G5. If anything, the 970 should get the G5 title as it will be absolutely next gen.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>SteveS, I was mentioning the G4+ because that's what it will be technically, but I doubt it will be named that or G5. If anything, the 970 should get the G5 title as it will be absolutely next gen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For the record, G4+ is as much a technical name as G4 LX.