Keyboard vs. Keyboard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Old USB

vs.

New USB

Vote on which one you prefer. I have one of each, and I'm trying to decide which one to keep without having had much experience on either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Really, I just like the color of the older one. If the new one came with dark translucent keys, and I needed one, I'd buy it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So you can't adjust the new one?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

So you can't adjust the new one?

Nope.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I go for the Apple Pro keyboard.

Since we are talking the Apple keyboard, I would like to discuss on the Apple mouse too

Few weeks ago, my Apple Pro Mouse (white, came with the last dual G4) went bad. I called AppleCare and requested for a new mouse. They shipped me the current Apple USB mouse, I somewhat don't like it. It's covered with all white from the top to the bottom. I love one-button mouse, but I leave it untouched. Right now, I use the red Logitech optical wheel mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    It's totally obnoxious and unergonomic that you can't adjust the current Apple Keyboard. What bugs me even more is that the new keyboard is angled by default. I like my keyboards to lie flat, not propped up at an angle.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

It's totally obnoxious and unergonomic that you can't adjust the current Apple Keyboard. ...[snip]...

Yeah, that is a regressive step design wise imho. I wonder what they were thinking?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    I love the new one.

- Xidius
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I like my keyboards flat, too. Plus, I read it's much more ergonomic to use a keyboard that way.

This is one of the few reasons why I won't buy the new Apple Wireless Keyboard. Damn these money-saving designs.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

I like my keyboards flat, too. Plus, I read it's much more ergonomic to use a keyboard that way.

That's what I have read as well. More importantly, that's what my wrists tell me when I have to use an angled keyboard for more than two minutes.

Quote:

Damn these money-saving designs.

Couldn't have said it better, so I'll just repeat: Damn these money-saving designs!!!

Apple used to be justified in taking pride in its ergonomic design. It no longer is.

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 21
    well, as a sloppy typist, i hate the new one for having a pin-hole for the caps lock light. the old one has a much larger lite under a translucent key.

much better.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm a big fan of the old one. I have it on both my G4 cube and Sawtooth. I've used the new one, but not for more than a few minutes at a time.

That said, I do like the keyboard angled. But for those who don't, it doesn't make sense to not allow them to do that.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I like the new one because of the USB ports in the back. They hide away nicely. I have never needed to adjust my keyboard. (My G3 had an adjustable one) so I never ran into that problem. I like the white keys/black letters better than the black keys/white letter combination. Than again I have a black desk, so black keys would blend in with the background. The only problem I have with this keyboard is it's size. I would like some kind of frame/boarder. I find that it helps center your hands an makes typing easier.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Of those two I prefer the black key KB (slightly better tactile feel and a lilly *white* keyboard is just a bad idea) but I find that neither of them are anywhere near as good as the old beige Apple Pro keyboards (pre-USB). Remember them?

Personally, I think I find Apple's new keyboards too soft and mooshy and the keyboard spacing a bit too cramped. Who does make good keyboards these days?

C.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Personally, I think I find Apple's new keyboards too soft and mooshy and the keyboard spacing a bit too cramped. Who does make good keyboards these days?

C.

That's because you've spent too much time typing on crappy PC keyboards with their mechanical switches, and you're accustomed to them. Once you get used to the Apple USB keyboards, they blow away anything else. Incidently, the keys are just about the same as anything aside from a split key keyboard, too.

Anyway, I have a white USB Pro, which now I've found is exactly the same as the black one. So I'm probably going to stay with the USB Pro rather that the new one.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That's because you've spent too much time typing on crappy PC keyboards with their mechanical switches, and you're accustomed to them.

I don't think you could call the Natural Keyboard I'm typing on now "crappy" but (on my Mac) I've used those mushy keyboards for... at least a year now and they just don't have a good feel under the fingers. Actually, at the company I used to work for we all used the old beige Apple Pro keyboards with USB adapters(?) until we finally burned out the last of them. We all prefered the older keyboards, so I know I'm not alone in that respect.

Quote:

Once you get used to the Apple USB keyboards, they blow away anything else. Incidently, the keys are just about the same as anything aside from a split key keyboard, too.

Well, I've used them for a year now and they certainly haven't "blown me away". Maybe my fingers are stronger than most... I'm sure they are slightly tighter spaced than their previous keyboards, there's definitely something different about them. If I try to type too quickly on them I seem to miss the odd key - particularly the cmd/opt/ctrl keys.

Just my 2 bits.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I don't think you could call the Natural Keyboard I'm typing on now "crappy" but (on my Mac) I've used those mushy keyboards for...

Just my 2 bits.

A friend of mine who I work with is always yammering on about how big his hands are, and that they force him to get the "Natural" keyboard, use the big Xbox controller, etc.

It turns out that his hands are no bigger than mine. In fact, our palms and fingers couldn't be any more size-similar, though my fingers are more bony and arthritic.

Anyway, I suppose it's entirely possible that some people have fewer nerves in their fingers than others. I'm no piano or guitar playing dude with any sort of above average finger control, but I certainly can sense the Apple keyboard keys, and their lightness makes my speed and accuracy much better.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Who does make good keyboards these days?

C.

If and only if, you're a touch typist, the scissors keyboard from Macally (icekey?) is pretty good. Feels very similar to a Powerbook keyboard.

Matches one's iBook or iMac since it's white. Spoke to a sales rep and they said a black and possibly a graphite version is planned.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    i like the curvature of the new one but the usb location is better on the oldies
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I like the Pro keyboard more than the new one, but I'm really a fan of my Logitech Elite wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i like the USB placement on the new ones, but i hate how you can't adjust them.