Will .Mac respond to GMail and Yahoo?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Responding to Google's plan to offer a gig of free e-mail storage, Yahoo today said non-paying customers of its e-mail service will get 100 MB of space, while space for paying customers will be "virtually unlimited."

As Google has stated publicly that making GMail Safari-compatible is a priority, and Yahoo Mail is already Mac-compatible, it would seem Apple has a compelling reason to up the e-mail storage space for .Mac customers from the (relatively) paltry 15 MB it now provides. The question is, will they do it?

I really think they should. I won't go to Yahoo mail, but Google so far sounds very tempting, though we have no idea really how intrusive their ads will be or what other quirks there will be. But, the fact is, every service Google has provided so far has been top-notch. Like Apple, most things they do "just work."

While I do enjoy some of the other services I get from .Mac (Backup, online address book syncing and posting photos online especially), I really think Apple's philosophy on .Mac should be "It's the e-mail, stupid." My honest feeling is that they will soon boost e-mail space. How about everyone else?

Edited to correct silly punctuation error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I would guess they would. It's not like disk space is expensive for them.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I have a Gmail beta account, and the ads really aren't that bad. I didn't notice them until I remembered why I was skeptical, and even then it took me a second to find them.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    Maybe.

A working 100 or 200 MB is though a lot better than the actual free 1 GB email services - is it worth having 1 GB of storage, if your emails arrive 4 days late (like on spymac)?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think Apple should increase the .mac mail account but I don't think they should be trying to compete with Gmail or Yahoo unless they're willing to do the same and make money on the backend with advertising.

I really don't see much correlation.

Gmail is frankly intrusive with ads and scanning your mail. Yahoo is the same.

.Mac simply stores your data without attempting to make money on you or sell you anything. To some people that is good enough. To others..I don't know. Maybe it's a better idea for Apple to forgo.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I'd rather have more iDisk space. Vast amounts of email storage mean nothing to me.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

I'd rather have more iDisk space. Vast amounts of email storage mean nothing to me.

Same here. I can download my mail and back it up but if I need webspace, I need webspace. And, really, who needs 1gig of email storage? Anyone who does real work with their email backs it up regularly (or has someone who does it for them).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    i agree. who needs to have a gig of email space? we have mail app and it's as easy as dragging the mail into folders on your mac. in fact, i can't stand leaving stuff in the .mac folder because it's unorganized anyway. but more idisk space would be great. i have my own server space but idisk is VERY convenient.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

i agree. who needs to have a gig of email space? we have mail app and it's as easy as dragging the mail into folders on your mac. in fact, i can't stand leaving stuff in the .mac folder because it's unorganized anyway.

You know you can make folders in your .mac mail account. I don't use folders on my IMAP mail but you can if the disorganization bothers you.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    james bjames b Posts: 21member
    I noticed that .mac is having maintenance for an hour on the 18th May.

Most online web services will be affected. Also, the refer a friend thing runs out of the 17th of May. Just a coincidence? We'll see
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think I will just create drop box scripts to auto-email attachments to my email for storage anyway, but I think that if I am paying for email, it should match free offerings, but without ads. That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially since I find that .mac could be so much better than it is... I am tempted to cancel my account periodically, but I never really do, in hopes that they improve it.