Pro Wrestling Cliches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Doing a little research. Could anyone who's interested please list every professional wrestling cliche, stereotype, and gimmick they can think of?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    gimmicks like what? like never letting the Championship change hands outside of a $35 ppv show? gimmicks like fake-punching and stomping their foot to make a bang sound?

If this doesnt help, I am sorry, but the whole thing is a gimmick, everyone takes their falls, every one reads and follows the script, moddern day wrestling is nothing more than a Broadway show for rednecks and dumb-ass teenagers.

Wrestiling in its self is a gimmick.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The Rock is going to put the smack-down on all of your candy asses? It's all I can remember from the heady days when my roommate's fiancee (now wife) used to joke around about the Rock and how bad-ass he was.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    influenzainfluenza Posts: 146member
    Character gimmicks and hooks. Types of gimmick matches. Frequently recurring events and scenarios. I'm very familiar with pro wrestling and well aware of its gimmicky nature. What I'm doing is brainstorming for a possible role-playing game supplement. I'd appreciate input from fellow fans. I don't need editorial comments about the industry or the fans, thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

Character gimmicks and hooks. Types of gimmick matches. Frequently recurring events and scenarios. I'm very familiar with pro wrestling and well aware of its gimmicky nature. What I'm doing is brainstorming for a possible role-playing game supplement. I'd appreciate input from fellow fans. I don't need editorial comments about the industry or the fans, thanks.

Matches:

Ladder

Hardcore/No Holds Barred

2 out of 3 falls

Table

Iron Man

Triple Threat

Cage

Hell In A Cell (Trademark WWE)

Battle Royal

Elimination Chamber (Trademark WWE)

Tag

Tornado Tag

Elimination Tag

6, 8+ Tag

Mixed Tag

Intergender Tag

Handicap

Tables, Ladder, and Chairs (Trademark WWE)

Chain, Bullrope, etc.

Common angles:

Friends turn on each other

Enemies forced to be a tag team

Guys banding together in a faction, interfering on behalf of teammates

Some generic gimmicks:

The evil foreigner

The patriotic hero

The rich snob

The working man's hero

The weasely cheater

The psycho

The funny smartass

The plucky underdog little guy

The weasely manager

The guy from a legit athletic background

The guy from whatever job you want to pick

The masked guy

Hope this is the type of thing you're looking for-I can give specific examples if you want.

I can post more later.

Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 16
    'The squared circle'

Jerry the king lawler is one big stereo type.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    You missed the "blind" girlfriend wearing really big coats who always manages to cause her boyfriend to lose matches. Boyfriend abuses her, and we later find out she is not blind

WTF
  • Reply 7 of 16
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Midgets!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Blatant Homoeroticism!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Spandex/Speedos!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Sad Old Ladies!!!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Refs who suffer time dilation while counting to 3!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yep, I have to agree: pro wrestling is very homo-erotic. I hear Vince McMahon has a beach house on Key West and likes to order fruity frozen drinks when no one is looking.

• Reply 13 of 16
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Here, pick from each category and you can make your own wrestler. Then do a quick write up.

Personality traits (pick two)

Narcissist

Meglomaniac

Despot

Obsessive

Sociopathic

Perfectionist

Patriot

Mysodgenistic

Evil-doer

Good-doer

Reaganesque Good-doer (believes is good, does same as evil).

Bad Ass

Redneck

Effeminate

Hero

Anti-Hero

Heel (traditional villian)

Baby-face (traditional hero)

Delivery styles (Pick two)

Speaks of self in the third person

Speaks in angery monotone

Always Attempts to arouse emotion in crowd

Always accusing rivals of foul play

Always plays up his superiority to rivals.

Breathes heavily and broods for the camera.

Drunken partying frat boy

Dumbass

Silent

Clothing (pick whatever applies)

Speedo trunks

Wrestling siglet

Thong

T-shirt & jeans

Post apoctoylyptic road warrior dress

Stolen leftovers from Devo's closet

Overalls

Pagan ritualistic garb

S & M dress

Silk 3 piece suit

Skin tight pants

Flamboyant colors

Birthplace (samples, pick what works for your wrestler)

Ventura, California

South-Central Los Angles

Tehran, Iran

Mudlick, Kentucky

Ontario, Canada

Parts Unknown

Now do a brief write up!

My Wrestler is named the Apple Avenger. He hails from Cupertino, California. He is Narcissist Perfectionist who wears jeans and a mock turtle neck sweater. He is always accussing rivals of foul play and always plays up his superiority to his rivals.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    influenzainfluenza Posts: 146member
    I?d like to thank you all for your useful and amusing input. It may be a while before I get to use it, as there are other projects which require my immediate attention, but when the time comes I?ll be sure to credit you, at least as a general group. The wrestling supplement is not likely to be published for profit, but it?s something we?ve wanted to do for a long time, and we?ll definitely make it available as a free download if nothing else. Thanks again!

Robbie Proseus

Writer, Editor

Infernal Funhouse Productions, LLC.

http://www.infernalfunhouse.com
  • Reply 15 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

gimmicks like what? like never letting the Championship change hands outside of a $35 ppv show? gimmicks like fake-punching and stomping their foot to make a bang sound?

If this doesnt help, I am sorry, but the whole thing is a gimmick, everyone takes their falls, every one reads and follows the script, moddern day wrestling is nothing more than a Broadway show for rednecks and dumb-ass teenagers.

Wrestiling in its self is a gimmick.

It's all fake. Everyone knows this. They're not fooling anyone except young children, and they usually figure it out pretty quickly. Hell, they don't even call it a sport. . . It's self-referred to as "sports-entertainment."

But is it fun to watch? Yes. It's actually a lot more "fun" to watch than real fighting, except for maybe boxing. In kickboxing, olympic wrestling, ultimate fighting, etc, the matches are often short and ultra-violent. I enjoy watching fighting, but it's not as easy to stomach as cartoony Pro-wrestling.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's all fake. Everyone knows this. They're not fooling anyone except young children, and they usually figure it out pretty quickly. Hell, they don't even call it a sport. . . It's self-referred to as "sports-entertainment."

But is it fun to watch? Yes. It's actually a lot more "fun" to watch than real fighting, except for maybe boxing. In kickboxing, olympic wrestling, ultimate fighting, etc, the matches are often short and ultra-violent. I enjoy watching fighting, but it's not as easy to stomach as cartoony Pro-wrestling.

It, i do have to admit, used to be realy fun to watch, because the wrestelers were so dramatic, like flair, undertaker, and of course Hulk Hogan(THE OLD 'HAY kids, I am the hulkster don't to drugs, and drink your milk, BROTHER' hogan sirca late 80's-mid-90's). now they are all just foul mouthed pigs, they need to bring back the days of the managers and possys badmouthing one another, that was fun to watch, and laugh at.