WWDC Expectation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

You got some serious mofo chip on your shoulder pscates. We get your point already...

Actually- I totally agree with pscates.

Although, I'll be the first in line to complain about the 3GHz PowerMac if it's not there as was stated last year.
  • Reply 22 of 83
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    coming soon...

G5 non-PowerMac.

2.2, 2.4, 2.6 Ghz.

G5 PowerMac rev B.

2.8, 3.0, 3.2 Ghz

XServe G5 rev B.

2.5 Ghz

...to Fantasy Island.

"Look boss"
  • Reply 23 of 83
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ubertweek

As someone who's planning on spending entirely too much money on home theater gear (DLP TV, Axiom Speakers, Denon 3805 Receiver, Canare cable) on a pretty whimpy salary...

Save yourself some money and skip the Mystic Voodoo Cable. There's nothing so amazingly delicate or difficult about passing audio and video signals through wires to justify over-engineered, overpriced "solutions" to problems that don't exist.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Even Developer's are consumers.

Even developer's what are consumers?
  • Reply 25 of 83
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I think we will see speed bumps at WWDC, I think that he will announce 3ghz G5's or is the 975 going to be called G6 since it is based on the Power 5?

I am also convinced that a new G5 based consumer machine will also be announced either at the WWCD or shortly afterwards.

Clearly IBM have finally fixed their production problems and I expect them to jump the PM straight to 3ghz or beyond it really is too late to just bump to 2.2 or 2.4 he would get a very frosty reception even though it is an improvement. There is no doubt that the new machines with 90nm chips are going to be cooler, quieter and more reliable, and I am going to buy one.

Thank God it is only 4 weeks away as I am fed up with my old machine.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

Even developer's what are consumers?

OT: a lot of non-native English speaking persons have a strange fondness of the saxon genitive. They write every plural form with it, even though it doesn't make the slightest sense.

That's when you see market stands with ads like "Pin's: 3 Pin's for the price of 2 Pin's" and horrible stuff like that.

I don't know why schools haven't picked up on the problem yet, I see tons of younger people make the same mistake still...
  • Reply 27 of 83
    merovingianmerovingian Posts: 436member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

...and the buzz about how they finally got beyond their 5% sales marketcap...

Really?

Cite?

I'd love to know where these figures have come from. I've heard nothing of this... Please enlighten me. m. :-)
  • Reply 28 of 83
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Thank God it is only 4 weeks away as I am fed up with my old machine.

Six weeks, at least according to my calendar.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

OT: a lot of non-native English speaking persons have a strange fondness of the saxon genitive. They write every plural form with it, even though it doesn't make the slightest sense.

That's when you see market stands with ads like "Pin's: 3 Pin's for the price of 2 Pin's" and horrible stuff like that.

I don't know why schools haven't picked up on the problem yet, I see tons of younger people make the same mistake still...

It's not just non-native speakers. It's become an American epidemic. Just a few years ago you never saw this, even from people with horrendous grammar and spelling. Now I see it everywhere. Apostrophes in the middle of supposedly plural common nouns like "cat's" and "car's". It even shows up now in verbs. "Apple kick's ass", for example. Utterly embarrassing.

OK mods, relax. No more OT ranting. I know it's "just" an online forum, but I'm seriously trying to help people who may make this error in a costly real life situation like a job application. It has to be pointed out at the time and in the context of original usage. No one's going to pay attention to a separate grammar thread.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

People, there will be no consumer devices, iPod or otherwise at WWDC. It's a developer conference....

HERE IS SOMETHING TO REMEMBER: D.A.C.T.

Developers Are Consumers Too.

they all got isights last year and you can't get more consumer than a desktop webcam
  • Reply 31 of 83
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

It's not just non-native speakers. It's become an American epidemic. Just a few years ago you never saw this, even from people with horrendous grammar and spelling. Now I see it everywhere. Apostrophes in the middle of supposedly plural common nouns like "cat's" and "car's". It even shows up now in verbs. "Apple kick's ass", for example. Utterly embarrassing....

NO Kids left behind, my A**...Or should I sayNO Kid's left behind
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Clearly IBM have finally fixed their production problems

Where exactly is this so Clearly defined that IBM has fixed their production problems on anything, but 2.0GHz 90 nanometer G5 processors?

That's what I'd like to know. I have not been following this lately, but I read somewhere that 2GHz G5 Xserves were shipping,, and reaching the hands of their customers, but I have heard nothing else, and I am not even aware if that was true.

So if someone can point me towards this information I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I read somewhere that 2GHz G5 Xserves were shipping,, and reaching the hands of their customers, but I have heard nothing else, and I am not even aware if that was true.

So if someone can point me towards this information I would greatly appreciate it.

G5 Xserves now shipping
  • Reply 34 of 83
    I'm glad to see what I heard seems to be true, but that is no real indication of anything other than 2.0 GHz G5's.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Really?

Cite?

I'd love to know where these figures have come from. I've heard nothing of this... Please enlighten me. m. :-)

kraig911 is referring to Apple's market shares outside of the Mac market - iTMS and iPod - and how Steve keeps talking about how good it is to get out from under that 5% Mac marketshare.

If you're looking for news that the Mac has broken through that ceiling... nope. Same old same old.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    We should see G5 updates to 2.4 Ghz, perhaps as high as 2.6, but no 3.0 Ghz until at least December. Tiger will, of course, be in the spotlight for this conference. Even if it's just faster overall and improved networking I'll be happy. Although it would be nice if Expose allowed you to copy files between windows...

Quote:

kraig911 is referring to Apple's market shares outside of the Mac market - iTMS and iPod - and how Steve keeps talking about how good it is to get out from under that 5% Mac marketshare.

Hmmm... at this point it would be nice if they got out from under their less than 2% marketshare. \

C.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

<RANT>

xCode

Again, this is a developer's conference, so they need to show something more than just Tiger. xCode is probably one of the biggest innovations when it comes to the overall workflow of the development process. I hope that they include other languages other that C/C++/Obj.C/Java. Other languages like Python, PHP, Perl, etc. could use with an awesome IDE like xCode (PHP and Perl may be a little difficult, being that they are scripting languages). I think they will improve upon the stability, improve upon the feature set, and improve upon the speed of the application. xCode is not something that should be over-looked, as it could very well revolutionize the whole developmental process.

If the KDE developers can manage to slip all those languages (including ruby, perl, php, etc) into KDevelop 3.0... I'm sure apple can also. It can't be THAT hard to have language syntax / coloring / tabbing / compiling for a scripting language along with other languages. I've wrote a perl syntax checker (for a class, other wise I would have just used BBEdit) it it didn't take that long. I'm a novice Software Engineer... they professionals. KDevelop 3.0 / BBEdit allows you to execute the perl code straight in their compiler just like any other language. Apple could easily do it and I think they should. I think I would still use BBEdit for Perl_CGI coding because I would also be using html ... but if I were to write Perl Cocoa programs using hte PerlObjCBridge than I would definitely want to do it in XCode. I see it being vital, since they are pushing perl programmers to start writing cocoa programs using it. They are even offering a few classes at WWDC on porting perl to the Cocoa API using PerlObjCbridge.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

If the KDE developers can manage to slip all those languages (including ruby, perl, php, etc) into KDevelop 3.0... I'm sure apple can also. It can't be THAT hard to have language syntax / coloring / tabbing / compiling for a scripting language along with other languages. I've wrote a perl syntax checker (for a class, other wise I would have just used BBEdit) it it didn't take that long. I'm a novice Software Engineer... they professionals. KDevelop 3.0 / BBEdit allows you to execute the perl code straight in their compiler just like any other language. Apple could easily do it and I think they should. I think I would still use BBEdit for Perl_CGI coding because I would also be using html ... but if I were to write Perl Cocoa programs using hte PerlObjCBridge than I would definitely want to do it in XCode. I see it being vital, since they are pushing perl programmers to start writing cocoa programs using it. They are even offering a few classes at WWDC on porting perl to the Cocoa API using PerlObjCbridge.

As you just said, anyone can write a syntax coloring scheme for an application. However, xCode goes much deeper than that. It has Live Linking (I believe that is what they call it), Rapid Compiling, and many other features that scripting languages like PHP and Perl don't have any use for.

Pulver, thank you for correcting my one mistake of using an apostrophe where it should not have been. I agree that misuse of the English language has become an epidemic in America, but I would have hoped that my post would have sparked more talk than just about my apostrophe.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    It's all good Mike.

You were right about the iSight last year. That was a consumer oriented launch at the DC. Who knows, maybe we'll get vPods along with our 3GHz Power Macs.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

As you just said, anyone can write a syntax coloring scheme for an application. However, xCode goes much deeper than that. It has Live Linking (I believe that is what they call it), Rapid Compiling, and many other features that scripting languages like PHP and Perl don't have any use for.

Just because those languages don't take advantage of it doesn't mean that they can't integrate them into XCode. I'll reiterate my point of apple pushing perl developers to the Cocoa API... how can they ask this if they don't have an environment (besides pico, vi, emacs, etc) to write their code?

Also I don't believe true ANSI 89 C can take advantage of Live Linking (if thats the name, I know what you're talking about if it isn't).