The Great Blackout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just remembering what we refer to here at AI as "The Great Blackout", when the lights at AI went down for awhile. I know we've had threads about this in the past, but I couldn't find the thread so I wanted to know where everyone went when the Great Blackout happened?

I think that I started posting on MacNN for awhile before I found the "BadFlamingo.com" forums. I just did a WhoIs search for the name of the person who started that forum...it's currently registered to a guy named Eric. it was a great refuge for the time while AI was gone. Tip of the hat to the person who started it...it allowed us to keep the club together.

I hope that there'll be a similar refuge to pop up if anything like the Great Blackout ever happens here again!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I signed up before the great blackout, but I was just a lurker then. It wasn't until a few years ago that I re-joined and a few months later started posting. When AI went dark, I started downloading the daily software from Macupdate.com and other free download sites. (Isn't that boring. ) Eventually my web hours/week decreased and my grades inproved. Slightly...

I still have the button AI passed out when they had a booth at macworld years ago. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah Badflamingo was cool. There were AT LEAST 2 posts per day there.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I just left, didn't really care, I was mostly a lurker then, posted a bit, but nothing memorable. So when it went down I just figured "oh well" and moved on.

Then, by chance I happened to think "whatever happened to AI?" and came here and everything was...um..back I guess, and yeah.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i thought all internet junkies were dorks... turns out i was right ...
  • Reply 5 of 24
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I hated That stupid flamingo site...
  • Reply 6 of 24
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
  • Reply 7 of 24
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I just left, didn't really care, I was mostly a lurker then, posted a bit, but nothing memorable. So when it went down I just figured "oh well" and moved on.

Then, by chance I happened to think "whatever happened to AI?" and came here and everything was...um..back I guess, and yeah.

exactly the same for me...the blackout made me abit sad for AI, but i was mostly a lurker then too...

g
  • Reply 8 of 24
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yah, with the stuff going down elsewhere on these fora it really makes you think about past migrations back and forth. Silly stuff this.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I went to the Mac Achaia, but I have issues with the leadership there...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Eugene, you were cruising for a ban there anyway.

(that one was almost more interesting than this)

heh
  • Reply 11 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Eugene, you were cruising for a ban there anyway.

• Reply 12 of 24
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I remember the blackout, I was kind of at BadFlamingo for a while, wasn't AppleNut a mod there? I kinda felt bad when AI came back, because Flamingo was set up for the AI'ers and soon became a ghost town when AI came back. I remember Posting something to the effect of 'Gorgonzola can kiss my ass' because of all the AI downtime, I think AI was running off a 450mhz Cube, every time steve jobs took a shit, AI would go down for 2 days. I remember the mods used to go nuts on us because we would take the boards down 2 weeks before a Macworld. And whats more scary, I was like 23 at the time!!!!

It seemed to be more exciting in those days. FH seems so dull now, I check it for 5 minutes then waste an evening in AO. I think I remember something called OrangeInsider too.

And Ive been wondering where NoahJ has gone. And there was this reaaally cool geek here who gave us the complete manual of how to fabricate a CPU. Abd who could forget MichaelM8000 or something, couldn't spel a wurd.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [Edited by Fellowship]
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    [Edited by Fellowship]
  • Reply 15 of 24
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    [Edited by Fellowship]
  • Reply 16 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [Edited by Fellowship]