Entering high school :-P...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, well next year is my freshman year of high school and i was wondering

what mac you think i should upgrade to...

I currently have a titanium pb 550Mhz with 384 and nothing really special about it other than that... combo drive and some very useful software including OS X10.3 but i think that i need a better computer to get me to high school the three options that crossed my mind that i can afford with my job at a supermarket.

the first i thought of was a nice new powerbook:

? 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 with 64MB Graphics Memory

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

? Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

? Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? AirPort Extreme Card

? AirPort Extreme Base Station (without modem and antenna port)

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $2,181.00

my second option was another portable but this time i went to the iBook:

? 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)

? 60GB Ultra ATA drive

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Mobility 1 iBook 12"/14" Messenger Bag - Black by Brenthaven

? Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 14.1-inch TFT XGA display

? 1.2GHz PowerPC G4

? ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,733.00

My last option that i thought of was the nicely priced eMac (seeing as i wouldn't actually bring my laptop to school i would only use their portableness for going to the library and such):

? 512MB SDRAM DDR333 - 1 DIMM

? 160GB Ultra ATA drive

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Subtotal $1,145.00

U decide what i should get... please bear in mind i enjoy making video's and i use macromedia apps like DW and FW

PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    wtf do you need with a new computer for high school?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

wtf do you need with a new computer for high school?

my parents use a pc which i cant stand so its much easier for me to have my own computer so that if its a desktop then it can be in my room.... if not then i can have it anywhere that i want it

and my ti550 is kinda old and has very little memory as well as some other flaws that i would rather get a new computer than fix all the flaws
  • Reply 3 of 43
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    yeah i figured you didn't have a good reason...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Unless you have that kind of money to just throw around... keep your Ti and save some money. Maybe upgrade the RAM if it isn't sufficient.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    well if i wanted to i could do a few different things like sell the ti for upwards of 700 dollars to get money for a new comp

NOTE: i'll be making around 200 dollars a week depending on a few things this summer but at least 150 a week
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use a G3 Pismo (400Mhz, 650MB ram, 30GB hard drive) for College and my computer still works better than the ones in the labs. I can afford another top-of-the-line laptop but never really needed it. Unless you are doing some Digital Video editing with Final Cut Pro, I don't think you will need the extra power. Typing papers and such.

My laptop is just starting to show its age, yours should be fine. Especially for high school.

EDIT: I do have a Dual G5 at home, but to be honest, I don't use it for school work much.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I use a G3 Pismo (400Mhz, 650MB ram, 30GB hard drive) for College and my computer still works better than the ones in the labs. I can afford another top-of-the-line laptop but never really needed it. Unless you are doing some Digital Video editing with Final Cut Pro, I don't thin you will need the extra power.

My laptop is just starting to show its age, yours should be fine. Especially for high school.

well in my spare time i like to make videos with friends wether they be skate videos or just weird "jackass" things we do. as well as once every few months i plan on designing websites for local companies to make money

PS
  • Reply 8 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My dad has a Ti550 that he uses for FileMaker development. It's his business computer, and he uses it to make a living.

I'm sure you'll be fine typing papers on the TiBook. I went through high school with an 80 MHz PowerMac 7100 and a 14" monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You already have a damn nice computer. My god man, high school. You have SO many more important things to spend money on. Beer. Girls. Cars. Movies. Clothes. Entertainment. Savings.

Don't waste your money on a new computer. Get one when you are a freshman in COLLEGE.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You already have a damn nice computer. My god man, high school. You have SO many more important things to spend money on. Beer. Girls. Cars. Movies. Clothes. Entertainment. Savings.

Don't waste your money on a new computer. Get one when you are a freshman in COLLEGE.

I agree.... High school it isn't necessary, but Colllege, that is where you will get usability out of it. save up money, get one later
  • Reply 11 of 43
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yea, what Murbot said. Get as much ass as you can now! And save up for prom, and plan in advance lol. Plus you will need money for a bitchin car. Trust me, it's something about high school, you will soon love da bass. It's high school, the last chance to spend your $$$$ without any cares, unless u have a nice inheritance in line for ya
  • Reply 12 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    High School, College. . . doesn't really matter per se. What matters is what you're going to use it for. But consider the fact that when I was in high school (10th grade I think it was) I started getting into graphics and 3D modeling. Rendering short animations took about two weeks, and then you'd have to go back and fix things. In Photoshop, running basic operations on images that weren't tiny meant going in the other room to check out "Smokey and the Bandit" on TBS and fixing a sandwich. A friend of mine I met in college was doing professional 3D work at age 16 for serious customers on now-ancient hardware as well.

It would have been nice to have had a faster machine, but at the time that was a moot point anyway. Everything was slow compared to what we have now. I remember getting really geared up for the 604's. Fact is, that computer I was talking about was an 8500, and I had perhaps the best computer within a few mile radius at least.

But unless you think you're artistically inclined, you're probably just going to type and surf the web. Hell, I could do that on my 8500 just fine.

Anyway, for college the computer still doesn't matter much unless you're actually utilizing the abilities it has. Most people don't, which is why I'm absolutely appalled at what MS says Longhorn will require. That's silly. For most people these days a G4 550 is fine. If you want to upgrade, Quartz Extreme and a 1Ghz do make a difference, but it may or may not really make a difference.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    well i mean any of those computers would only take up 5 weeks pay from this summer and for the more expensive one it would also take the sale of my ti550 but i mean it's not that big of a deal. whatever i guess i'll just stay put for now
  • Reply 14 of 43
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I agree with most people here. You really don't need a new machine at this point, and it makes more sense to save for other stuff whether it be high school related or collage.

If you really think you need more power and can give up the portability, i say sell you TiBook and pick up an eMac for almost nothing. Seems like that would be the best compromise that i can see.

I used a 333 iMac throughout high school (just finished my 1st year of university) and that machine is still fine for everything i did back then (including some web design). If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, why not find some sort of low risk investment?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Ignore this...after reading further down to a later post, my thoughts are...

|

|

\\/

thx
  • Reply 16 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

well in my spare time i like to make videos with friends wether they be skate videos or just weird "jackass" things we do. as well as once every few months i plan on designing websites for local companies to make money

PS

Web site design could just as easily be done on a 5oo mhz pb, Hell all you need is a basic text editor and a browser, unless you are doing shoppimng carts, just hand code it, it is easy, you dont need any big package outside of maybe photoshop, but a buddy of mine puts kick ass sites together with just windows paint and notepad...It isnt what you have, it is how you use what you have.

and for video, well u have imovie, so it is slow, so what, if video is that important to you, save up for a POWERMAC, screw the portable, you would be stupid to take a brand new PB to high school, it would be lifted in miliseconds
  • Reply 17 of 43
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    unless you have alot of extra cash to throw around, keep your Ti. i mean, a 550 will do websites and video pretty well. it isn't worth it to get the new Ti.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    When I was in HS, I had a notebook. It had no graphics card, no ram, no CPU, no HD, no battery. It was pen based. Input was simple and straightforward. It was manufactured by Mead. The pen was by Bic. My grades were consistently high. Still...

Follow your dream, kid. If you love computers that much, get the best one you can afford and don't look back. Do something great with it. But don't suffer under the illusion that it is for school. It is for something far more important. It is for your dreams. Make them big. And make them all come true.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    resres Posts: 711member
    I can't believe all the crap you people are giving poor PS5533. He wants to by a new computer with money earned from a summer job -- good for him!

Does he absolutely positively need a new computer to get through school? Of course not (I wrote all of my collage papers on a Apple IIgs). Would he enjoy having a new computer to kick off his entry into HS, apparently yes, that is why he was asking which computer should he get (and not whether he should get one at all). (edit - I just noticed that although in the text of his post he doesn't mention just keeping his ti550 as an option, he does mention it in the poll -- so never mind).

Don't let all the neigh-sayers get you down kid -- a new computer is a good goal for a summer job, and even the cheapest Mac on your list will be over twice as fast as the one you are using now.

If you are planing to keep your current laptop I'd get the eMac. That way you have a computer you can carry around and one safe at home. (Besides, I always try to keep a backup computer, just incase something goes wrong with my main machine.)

If you are not planning to get the new computer until this fall, there there should be a lot of new models out by then, and you might want to consider getting a G5 of some sort -- that would really help out on the video editing.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Dude screw it all, go get the powerbook you know you want it!, if it isnt going to kill you saving for it, treat yourself and work your arse off in skool to make yourself earn it. Powerbook and good grades, win win