Setting up permanent SMB connections to PC?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to tell OS X to not close down SMB connections on restart and such?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Why would you want to do that? I think the protocol explicitly requires that you close the connection.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Open Terminal app su to root or sudo and type reboot.

Pulling the power plug out will have a similar effect.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    eudaimiceudaimic Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Why would you want to do that? I think the protocol explicitly requires that you close the connection.

I was asking if it were possible.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jfruhjfruh Posts: 34member
    Do you means a SMB connection TO the Mac or FROM the Mac?

Either way, you can create a shortcut in your favorites or on the desktop of either the Mac or the PC representing the connection. That way you can just double-click on it, and if the other computer is up, you'll connect. The SMB connection will still have to be recreated behind the scenes, but you don't really have to worry about it.

jf
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by jfruh

Do you means a SMB connection TO the Mac or FROM the Mac?

Either way, you can create a shortcut in your favorites or on the desktop of either the Mac or the PC representing the connection. That way you can just double-click on it, and if the other computer is up, you'll connect. The SMB connection will still have to be recreated behind the scenes, but you don't really have to worry about it.

jf

It's to a share on my PC. I'll try that out, sounds like a good idea. Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    If what you're trying to do is to have SMB shares auto mount at startup, you can first mount the SMB share, then go to Accounts > Startup Items and drag that SMB share onto the list. Every time you restart, the SMB shares will be available.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

If what you're trying to do is to have SMB shares auto mount at startup, you can first mount the SMB share, then go to Accounts > Startup Items and drag that SMB share onto the list. Every time you restart, the SMB shares will be available.

God I love OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Just a note: Eudaimic's tip mounts the items at login, not startup. This might sound pedantic, but if you are using this computer remotely, or with multiple users, this might trip you up.

There is a way to actually mount items at boot, involving netinfo and mount points, but it is probably far more trouble than it is worth for this situation (not to mention badly documented). You can also accomplish this sort of thing with scripts.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Just a note: Eudaimic's tip mounts the items...

Ahem, who's tip?

Yeah, this works at login (I realise the mistake after posting, but was too lazy to change it) and best only if you're on a desktop machine and you're the only user, though it is easy enough to set it for other users too. Simple and does the job.