My Indefinite Hiatus from the AppleInsiders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This thread has been posted identically to the other AI forum

After some thought and consideration, I've decided to take an indefinite break from visiting and posting at both AppleInsider forums. I wanted to you know that I'm doing it, and more specifically WHY I'm doing it.

There are actually several reasons why I've decided to do this. It's probably fair to say that the recent events around here and there were the "straw that broke the camel's back." I'll elaborate on that later, but here are the main reasons that influenced my decision:
  • In a recent thread on .com, someone asked the user base how often they visit the site each day. I realized that at least an hour every day is spent perusing the forums. I should cut back, but knowing myself, I pretty much have to go "cold turkey" and just stay away for a while.

• As many of you know, I'm a Christian. I feel an urging right now to focus more on my spiritual life, as I've drifted away in the last year or so. To more carefully focus my efforts, I'm going to attempt to surround myself with those things that will bring me back to the path. The more time I spend doing those things, the less time I'll have to be here.

• Summer is quickly upon us, and I've started dating a lovely young lady. I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to spend a good deal of time on efforts to enjoy both of the aforementioned subjects.

• The recent events around here have caused me to be very conflicted. Kasper, I really hope you'll let these comments stay at .com. Without getting into a lot of specifics, I'll just say that I feel strong ties to both communities. In one respect I feel like the original is missing a good deal now that there's been an exodus. Many people who I feel had a great influence on making the community what it is are now gone. In another respect, I feel like the alternate community has been started under pretenses that need to be re-examined, though I can understand some of that membership's feelings. Essentially, my "loyalties" -- although that's not a good term -- lie with both and neither sites at the same time. Maybe with some time away from both I'll be able to more clearly identify where my place falls in the whole scheme of things. Please understand that I am in no way pointing fingers or blame, only that I have agreements and disagreements with both "sides" and have thought of no good way to reconcile those differences in my mind. I believe that reconciliation will probably come if I simply stop thinking about it and step away from the sites.

• Finally, I need some perspective. I need to devote more efforts to people with which I interact in person on a daily basis. I need to spend more time with my roommates, friends, family, and co-workers. While the relationships that I've forged with persons on these sites have become very special to me, I now need to strengthen and solidify others...immediately around me.

So with that, I leave for a while. I don't know how long I'll feel like being away. I am fairly certain that some day I will return in some form or another to one site, the other, or both.

I've thoroughly enjoyed spending time with you here and there. I wish you the best as you and I sort things out and as I spend some time away for a bit. I think I'll enjoy the "vacation." I'll still be available on iChat at "sterlingclear" if you'd like to keep in touch away from the forums. God Bless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Cosmonut I respect your choice here.

I wish you only the best with all bends in the road on this journey we call life.

I invite you to visit any time in your free time as you are valued here at Appleinsider.

With all the best,,

God Bless,

Fellowship
  • Reply 2 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    An excellent display of self importance with respect to your essential unimportance. Adieu.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Cosmo, have a good summer. Good luck with 'her,' and I know where you're coming from.

See you soon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I understand, CosmoNut. I took off last summer but have been back ever since. (And the term is actually "cross-posted.") Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I've started dating a lovely young lady.

You didn't have to write anything else. You are excused. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    All the very best CosmoNut. I very much admire your decision to be your own man.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Right on.

I'm not here either.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Right on.

I'm not here either.

Really?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    *edit* nevermind
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Best of luck, especially in the part with your spiritual life. I have actually been doing something similar with taking a step back from everything online and such. (But mainly this site). I will be at college this coming year, and am realizing the importance of being with my friends and family. That said, I also certainly enjoy the community here. Thanks guys, and thank you Cosmo for what you have added here. I will say it again, best of luck to you!