Pear PC vs Disk Utility images (10.3 installer CD)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have successfully installed PearPC on my Windows PC, with an empty disk image. Now all I have to do, because the Windows version can't access CD drives, is create a bootable Mac OS X.3 disk image in .ISO format. Making images from the installer CD using Disk Utility works but produces unbootable ISOs. Any ideas?

(Are .CDRs the same as .ISOs?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    if you can mount the image on your dektop, you can probably burn them with Toaast. It has an option for bootable cd's.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Now all I have to do, because the Windows version can't access CD drives, is create a bootable Mac OS X.3 disk image in .ISO format.

As far as I know, Mac OS X cannot boot from ISO9660 volumes. Darwin can.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Oddly, ripping the disk to an ISO on my PC works.

Unfortunately, I can't turn install options off because the checkboxes in the Mac OS X installer application are unresponsive. The PearPC emulated mouse works fine for everything else. Looks like I'll just have to use a bigger disk file.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Oddly, ripping the disk to an ISO on my PC works.

Wow, you mean you made a bootable Mac OS ISO CD? Damn, I didn't know it's possible.

Beware, however, that the ISO 9660 format does not support resource forks, which may be present in the guts of certain Mac OS frameworks, like Carbon. Losing them means losing some resources, which may well cause persistent crashes.