The OSX Character pallete is useless! AHH!H!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It may show every character but I cant copy out of it making it useless! AHH!HH! How the heck do I make a lowercase omega?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    Don't know off the top of my head, but if you have Illustrator CS or InDesign, you could use the glyphs palette.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ahem, have you ever tried simply grabbing and dragging the character into your document/whatever? it even works with exposé (although the palette window stays in the way, but we all can handle that, don´t we ... )
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    How about hitting *cough cough* "Insert"? Come on, how could it be any more obvious than that o.O
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

ahem, have you ever tried simply grabbing and dragging the character into your document/whatever? it even works with exposé (although the palette window stays in the way, but we all can handle that, don´t we ... )

Yup, drop + drag works great.

You can also just double-click the character you want in the palette to insert it where the cursor is in your document. Just make sure that document window is active.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Hmm, dragging works but not copy/paste.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    juha otusjuha otus Posts: 41member
    Copy/Paste doesn't work, because Character Palette is a PALETTE and its contents (characters) aren't selectable. The contents of the document or input field in the frontmost window are.

Think of Character Palette as a virtual keyboard or something. It's better the way as it currently is, because this way you can make a selection in your document and replace it with the char in the palette. Also, the double-click to insert is necessary because single-clicking shows character info.

Anyway, if you want the behavior you described, you would surely appreciate PopChar: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14804
  • Reply 7 of 13
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    M$ screwed us over with the copy & paste concept being used in all the wrong places.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Hmm, dragging works but not copy/paste.

Geezus effin' christ. Since when has Macs worked like that? Why copy and paste when you can drag and drop, double-click or hit 'Insert'. If it weren't for whiny babies like you, the Finder would not have that copy/paste bullshit (added in 10.2? or was it 10.3?).

I know people are suckers for making something simple complicated but lets keep the palette as simple as possible, thx.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    psgamer0921psgamer0921 Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

M$ screwed us over with the copy & paste concept being used in all the wrong places.

The Character Map doesn't even allow copy and paste. On a right-click, it just says "What's This?"
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I was probably put off by PopChar since I used that for a fairly long time and grew accustomed to its behavior.

Quote:

[i]If it weren't for whiny babies like you, the Finder would not have that copy/paste bullshit (added in 10.2? or was it 10.3?). [/B]

Huh? 'The "Copy/Paste" has been there since System 1.0'

Slow down and think out your sentences to get your real point across and you may find a more suitable response.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I was probably put off by PopChar since I used that for a fairly long time and grew accustomed to its behavior.

Huh? 'The "Copy/Paste" has been there since System 1.0'

Slow down and think out your sentences to get your real point across and you may find a more suitable response.

He said:

"the Finder would not have that copy/paste bullshit"

Slow down and READ the post
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Im just playing with his words. I knew he meant an inference of the duplication changes to the file system, but I found it comical how it could be viewed in such a way that aforementioned menu items are new.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Im just playing with his words. I knew he meant an inference of the duplication changes to the file system, but I found it comical how it could be viewed in such a way that aforementioned menu items are new.

I think you're just angry that I called you a whiny baby and that the character palette isn't useless.