A little project with Dremel tool involved (pics)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I wanted to do a little modification to my newly purchased Acura RSX Type S. When I was 16 I drove a VW GTI and I loved a stiff car that handled well. I love this Acura and thought.... Ya know I can make a great car even better.

So I ordered Strut Bars. To install the rear bar a little surgery was needed...

So I got out the wrecking ball

View the Slideshow at the step by step Photo Set to see how things went.

It was a lot of fun doing the project and the car drives great now

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Looks good. But what exactly does a strut bar do?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    it basically stiffens the frame from what i can tell...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Looks good. But what exactly does a strut bar do?

Stiffens the chassis by tying the strut mounts together. Without a brace the strust towers can flex, and do quite a bit, while turning. The brace limits the twisting of the chassis thus improving steering response and steering feel.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Stiffens the chassis by tying the strut mounts together. Without a brace the strust towers can flex, and do quite a bit, while turning. The brace limits the twisting of the chassis thus improving steering response and steering feel.

Indeed. I notice a remarkable difference. The car tracks better and feels more flat when doing turning and getting over lanes etc.

I am very happy with the change in driving characteristics.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Uh

Oh. . .

Fellows is becoming a bona fide ricer.

Strut bars are nice, yes. I assume the next step is the aftermarket intake.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nttntt Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Indeed. I notice a remarkable difference. The car tracks better and feels more flat when doing turning and getting over lanes etc.

Plus you have the shiny Mugen bar to show off.

I added a rear strut bar to my 2000 Integra Type R and the main difference I notice is a little more stability during fast direction changes. Not a huge difference, but its there, and gives a little more confidence at the autoX.

But I didn't have a dremel. Just a pocket knife.

--

ntt
  • Reply 7 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Does this kind of modification circumvent any intended properties of Honda's designers? I figure the answer is no, but I also know that modern auto design is down to a science and that, for example, using larger aftermarket wheels can markedly alter a car's handling... making it steer like a pig.

NEVERMIND, I just went and looked at the pictures.... you're just taking flex out of the body (like everyone else said). Nice!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

NEVERMIND, I just went and looked at the pictures.... you're just taking flex out of the body (like everyone else said). Nice!

Yeah. Also, it looks like the car was designed to make adding those bars really simple. As if they expected a lot of people would want to do it.