New iPod to have color screen

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MacOSX.com reports the new iPod will be the same, except with a color screen. They say this is a sure thing.

Anything else they don't know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    they don't say you mean. you can't always tell everything.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, having a color screen is okay (like i said in another thread, they have color screens in the cheapest cell phones), but there also has to be a PURPOSE to it. i hope this means you can at least show stored iphoto album jpegs in that little "wallet-size" lcd.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Best use: to display album art for the current song.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Best use: to display album art for the current song.

Hmm, it never occurred to me. Good idea.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It would also be nice to have a little blue apple logo in the corner...Aqua and all.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Yay for decreased battery life?

I for one would pay more for a monochrome screen than for a color screen. 50% longer (or some such number) battery life is useful while a color screen is a gimick.

PDAs already exist and have proven unprofitable for nearly all manufactures who ventured into the market. PDAs have their uses, but I prefer a dedicated music player over a gimicky multi-purpose gadget. Keep the iPod an iPod and let PDAs try to do everything under the sun.

Anyone remember color screens on portable CD players? They were available for a while... but did little for the listening experience and eventually dissappeared.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Outdoor daylight use is a big problem for color LCD displays, as well. I've been told there are ways around this, but they aren't exactly universally implemented. I've seen a lot of color LCD panels in various electronic gadgets, and they are nearly rendered useless as soon as you have to compete with daylight for illumination. They do look terrific at night- that's where they really come into play. The traditional monochrome LCD works perfectly outdoors, in contrast.