G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 492
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member

Those links have NOTHING to do with the 975.
  • Reply 22 of 492
    I too believe Steve's 3GHz promise was always based on the 975 and that the subsequent delays to the 970fx are meaningless. Of course the 975 could be delayed too, but we know nothing of its status either way.

As for Trinity code name being "reused", this time around it could be an IBM code name, not an Apple one.
  • Reply 23 of 492
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    As cubist mentioned, the name Trinity probably has something to do with the fact that there are three different models.

It might not even be a real codename, only a tagline the site came up with for the rumor article.
  • Reply 24 of 492
    Actually, if you think about it, the base model (single 2.2Ghz) might be the best deal if they keep the prices the same.

I'm expecting an increase for the duals if they indeed include PCIe and dual-layer Superdrives.

Honestly, the baseline tower would make a nice gaming machine even if future GPUs are PCIe. Those cards are so fast now that the bottleneck lies with the actual CPU.
  • Reply 25 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

[BHonestly, the baseline tower would make a nice gaming machine even if future GPUs are PCIe. Those cards are so fast now that the bottleneck lies with the actual CPU. [/B]

All the more reason to have two of them.
  • Reply 26 of 492
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Those links have NOTHING to do with the 975.

You're right, they don't, if:

1: a general article about IBM's production process does not apply to the 975 just because the chip is not explicity mentioned, and

2: you have the reading comprehension of a retarded monkey By God, read between the lines man, or should I give you links to the cliffnotes of these webpages. If the articles quote an IBM exec saying that problems have been worked out and production yields should improve in the second quarter, what do you think they're talking about?
  • Reply 27 of 492
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    If Programmer's veiled hints about the 975's powers are to be believed then the dual 975 at 3 gig and on a 1.5 gig bus will be nothing short of a fire cracker.

A 975 at 3 gig easily breasing past a 4 gig Prescott I would have thought. Duals? Scary.

And yes, the new graphic cards by the two titans are so fast now it seems to be the cpu holding things up.

(Though I'd hardly call 60-100 frames per second on current generation games with all effects on 'holding things up'...)

The deafening silence regarding G5 development and Mac products based on it is a good sign that 2004 has a barren 1st half followed by a scorched earch 2nd half.

I'm sure we'll see PowerMacs, iMacs and eventually Powerbooks with the new G5 chips in them.

The 'yawning' 1 gig G4 this and 1.25 gig that and the so-so 1.5 gig tuther will hopefully be drop kicked from most of the Mac range by the fall. Just how long can you use the same speed grades? Recycled endlessly from one range to another?

'Trinity' or whatever it is called cannot come soon enough for Apple's 'Mac Division'. Heh.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 28 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

You're right, they don't, if:

1: a general article about IBM's production process does not apply to the 975 just because the chip is not explicity mentioned, and

2: you have the reading comprehension of a retarded monkey By God, read between the lines man, or should I give you links to the cliffnotes of these webpages. If the articles quote an IBM exec saying that problems have been worked out and production yields should improve in the second quarter, what do you think they're talking about?

I think they're talking about the 970fx.

Um, last time I checked the 975 was still vaporware. It has never even been publicly admitted to by IBM. Production yields at Fishkill are a non-issue for a chip that doesn't officially exist. We have NO idea whatsoever what the 975's production timetable ever was, let alone what it is now.

BTW, my reading comprehension is just fine. You're the one with the fanboi delusions if you think that IBM exec's statements shed any light on future, unannounced processors.
  • Reply 29 of 492
    Quote:

I think they're talking about the 970fx.

Um, last time I checked the 975 was still vaporware. It has never even been publicly admitted to by IBM. Production yields at Fishkill are a non-issue for a chip that doesn't officially exist. We have NO idea whatsoever what the 975's production timetable ever was, let alone what it is now.

BTW, my reading comprehension is just fine. You're the one with the fanboi delusions if you think that IBM exec's statements shed any light on future, unannounced processors.

actually, since the few mentions of 975 have been that it's based on the Power5, that would lead one to believe the previously linked articles DON'T have anything to do with it. It's clear from the articles that they're talking about yeilds of the new 90nm process. but the Power5 (and presumably the 975) use a 130nm process.
  • Reply 30 of 492
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Prices

$1999

$2899

$3499
  • Reply 31 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Prices

$1999

$2899

$3499

Speculation or fact?
  • Reply 32 of 492
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:

I too believe Steve's 3GHz promise was always based on the 975 and that the subsequent delays to the 970fx are meaningless. Of course the 975 could be delayed too, but we know nothing of its status either way.

As for Trinity code name being "reused", this time around it could be an IBM code name, not an Apple one.

The 975 will not be delayed. As I said before it is on track and yealding 3ghz reliably. Look, I'm a 54 year old executive in an industry that has nothing to do with computer manufacturing or software development. I don't have a non-diclosure agreement with either Apple or IBM. The gentleman or "source" who shared this information with me does and I would never do anything to jepordize his career. I don't post much, but when I do it's because I have something I think might be of value to the readers here. The guy I talked to is a professional in the belly of this beast and I believe what he told me. I met him at a business seminar attended by high level people from a variety of industries. WWDC will be my vindication or execution.
  • Reply 33 of 492
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

If Programmer's veiled hints about the 975's powers are to be believed then the dual 975 at 3 gig and on a 1.5 gig bus will be nothing short of a fire cracker.

They aren't hints they are educated guesses with a bit of oblique knowledge mixed in. I don't know anything about Apple's plans.
  • Reply 34 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by tman

The guy I talked to is a professional in the belly of this beast and I believe what he told me. I met him at a business seminar attended by high level people from a variety of industries.

Yeah, but did you get him drunk?

Paging JD!
  • Reply 35 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

They aren't hints they are educated guesses with a bit of oblique knowledge mixed in. I don't know anything about Apple's plans.

Please define "oblique knowledge".
  • Reply 36 of 492
    Quote:

Yeah, but did you get him drunk?

Paging JD!

No. The conversation was at a lunch- no booze. He didn't attend the reception/dinner that evening.
  • Reply 37 of 492
    Quote:

Please define "oblique knowledge".

If I may: "oblique"- "slanting or indirect". I assume you can figure out "knowledge" for yourself. Programmer's post makes complete sense to me.
  • Reply 38 of 492
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I'm sure we'll see PowerMacs, iMacs and eventually Powerbooks with the new G5 chips in them.

I tend to agree except where the PowerBook is concerned. I think they ahve something else up their sleeves for the PowerBook. As to the desktops a Shift is needed to 970 technology at the low end. But and its a big butt Apple needs to grow up and actually deliver a desktop system with outstanding performance in its price range.

Quote:

'Trinity' or whatever it is called cannot come soon enough for Apple's 'Mac Division'. Heh.

Trinity or not Apple needs something new. If they come out with another 970FX based tower no matter how fast it is it will be a failure.

Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 39 of 492
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

Source?

Being as polite as possible, and having read most of the thread, he doesn't need links; or more specifically, the links will do you no good . . . you can't access them.

As for Programmer's "oblique knowledge" . . . believe.

I can't vouch for MB specs, or video cards, or even code names. The "975", as you call it, was not on the same development path as the 970fx (it did benifit from its 'growing pains' though). It was on simultaneous development with the Power 5 Series, and I expect to see it relatively soon (sorry, no exact dates available to me like last time).

Hopefully, Apple will have an extra DVD drive in the enclosure, the better MB, and better video card. I don't have info there, just wishful thinking.

The "975" processor info is severely clamped down (compared to what was available for the 970), and I'm not surprised to hear that it is believed to be vaporware.

Sources??? ask away, you'll get no answer.
  • Reply 40 of 492
    Quote:

No. The conversation was at a lunch- no booze. He didn't attend the reception/dinner that evening.

It wasn't a serious question. I guess you haven't been around here long enough to remember Junkyard Dawg and his penchant for stories involving drunk Apple employees spilling the beans. It was just a lame AI reference.

Quote:

If I may: "oblique"- "slanting or indirect". I assume you can figure out "knowledge" for yourself. Programmer's post makes complete sense to me.

I know what oblique means.

I was merely trying to slyly induce Programmer into giving some more detail. First the JD reference and now this. Man, NOBODY gets me!

For what it's worth tman, I hope you're sincere with your story about 3GHz at WWDC. It'd be a shame if you're really some 14 year old punk trolling for the hell of it. It's been awhile since somebody came on the boards claiming to have actual inside info. That's what this place is for, right?