What's your favorite financial software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to decide on financial software that I can use with multiple accounts, stock tracking, bank account record updating, etc.

What programs do you like and use? (MYOB FirstEdge, Quicken 2004, iBank, MoneyDance, iCash, others?)

I think many Mac users are at a loss in finding good software in this area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    MS Excel does everything for me. It's so customisable and I can make it do everything I need in terms of personal financing.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I'm using Quicken 2002 ... It takes a little setting up, but does all i need ...

Bank accounts, tracking stocks and mutual funds (with automatic price updating). It will download statements from banks, creditcards, brokerage accounts... though I don't use that feature.

I have never used the other programs, so I can't really compare it. Another advantage is that if you take the time to set it up right, Quicken integrates very nicely with TurboTax ... (I do them myself and then take that information to the tax accountant to tweak stuff and make sure everything I claim is legal.)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

MS Excel does everything for me. It's so customisable and I can make it do everything I need in terms of personal financing.

How did you get Excel to track stocks? Did you create some kind of RSS feed?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    bad news: they all suck. Quicken is pretty bad. I wish there was Money for the Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

bad news: they all suck. Quicken is pretty bad. I wish there was Money for the Mac.

I've been saying this for years
  • Reply 6 of 11
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    I recently bought iBank. Its simple enough that you can use it quickly and immediately without treading through a zillion options. It imports QIF files and is smart about categorizing entries. If you want sophisticated financial planning bloatware, this isn't it. But if you simply want to keep your account info handy, I recommend iBank.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    OpenOffice.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

How did you get Excel to track stocks? Did you create some kind of RSS feed?

Use OrcSoftware. THE best in Trading Software!

Connects to most exchanges and news feeds.

All other pale in comparisson.

(no I don't work for them)

Dobby.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    just like king I am still using Quicken 2002. Once I got everything set up it runs fine.

Checking & Savings accounts

Mutual funds

even work 401K account.

Pretty sweet... You might want to check and see what your bank supports.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Im using Quicken, but it is way over complicated for simply managing a couple of savings accounts and credit cards.

Might have a look at iBank, but Quicken can with my computer, so I was inclined to use it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i use sage running under VPC. its slower than slow, but its what my accountant and bookkeeper use, so i'm stuck with it