Expose trick

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else noticed the effect of pushing the ` key while using either F9 or F10 in expose? The easiest way to figure out what it does is to just try it -- it's a pretty useful feature of expose that I haven't seen documented anywhere. (Maybe I'm just missing it from elsewhere -- if so, moderator, please delete/lock this thread.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gruth

Has anyone else noticed the effect of pushing the ` key while using either F9 or F10 in expose? The easiest way to figure out what it does is to just try it -- it's a pretty useful feature of expose that I haven't seen documented anywhere. (Maybe I'm just missing it from elsewhere -- if so, moderator, please delete/lock this thread.)

That's kinda nice - does the same as Shift-Tab, only without the extra key.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Thanks gruth...Exposé just got easier for me.

I wish Apple would document these things. Sometimes I wonder if OS X could cook me dinner and I don't know the key combo.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention, i love expose even more now!!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    For the Exposé challenged among us could someone explain. I tried it with both F9 and F10 and see no difference.

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

...Sometimes I wonder if OS X could cook me dinner and I don't know the key combo.

hummm....the next big i-app

cmd+tab+s gives you a nice lite salad.

cmd+tab+l gives you a gormet lobster dinner,

and for the windows crowd...

cmd+alt+delete gives you a PBJ and a can of MR.PIB

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

For the Exposé challenged among us could someone explain. I tried it with both F9 and F10 and see no difference.

Thanks

If you hit F9 for example first, and then hit `, it will bring the different application windows out in front of all the others and it will keep rotating through the different windows that are open each time you press the ` key. Its like hitting apple-tab only with an expose flavour to it.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    That's cool. I wonder how many unexposed awesome features there are in MacOS X?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    you can also just hit tab, it does the same thing
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

you can also just hit tab, it does the same thing

They just go in different order. Hitting ` gives cycles through the windows in the reverse order of hitting tab.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    well, if you only had 2 windows or apps open, it would do the same thing...

• Reply 11 of 17
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

That's cool. I wonder how many unexposed awesome features there are in MacOS X?

hold option AND shift key, than try double clicking into the title bar while you have at least two document windows open (the more the better). i beg you juice ... er ... something
  • Reply 12 of 17
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

hold option AND shift key, than try double clicking into the title bar while you have at least two document windows open (the more the better). i beg you juice ... er ... something

Nice one.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

very very sneaky sir.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    Cool trick.

Actually, you can dispense with the shift key, since that just slows down all animations in 10.3. With just the option key, it minimizes all documents quickly.

Note that you can also option click in the dock to un-minimize all documents from a particular program.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's hot diggity. You know what? There should be a MacOS X Hot Tips in the Apple Menu like there is in iTunes and iPhoto for this stuff. With cool shortcuts like this. And it would be like the ol' Finder Tips or whatever in the Help Menu in System 7! Yet with the new flavor. Off to email Apple..
  • Reply 16 of 17
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    We should have a tips and tricks sticky in the genius bar with these documented. It would help us share good information.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Another good call! AI Hot Tips section in the Genius Bar!