>_>>_>
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

- Xidius

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    wow... VERRY nice...

that kind of a thing is hard to articulate... those "screenshots" explain this concept very well...

this would be a really cool feature... you could organize apps in the dock much more efficiently...

what would be even better is if they were likened to "playlists" ála iTunes... so you can have an app in more then one pile... and even smart piles... (any app that connects via port 80 for example... or any app that does not reside on the main partition...)

this is a really good idea...
  • Reply 2 of 53
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    So, it is like a more graphical pop-up menu, except that the pile is not a real folder?

I think what the future may hold is that all of your personal files are in an index, and from that you make playlists and smart playlists of it. The future is iTunes..... today.

• Reply 3 of 53
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    nicely done. i wanna do that
  • Reply 4 of 53
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

So, it is like a more graphical pop-up menu, except that the pile is not a real folder?

I think what the future may hold is that all of your personal files are in an index, and from that you make playlists and smart playlists of it. The future is iTunes..... today.

Who says Smart Piles isn't a possibility? :P

Though.. that would be annoying. I personally think we should have 100% -direct- control over our docks. Smart Piles would.. Get sorta messy. o_O

- Xidius
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

i've been waiting for this for a long time. for instance, when you're working on a lot of layouts, you end up copying a single source file all over the place just to make sure you have everything in one place. although this has been minimized since "collect for output" features have been put in, i never understood why we couldn't have a more abstract form of file reference.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That would be so cool! I really want that... right now I have a number of application "groups" that I use. Not often, but when I use one, I usually use almost all of them. There's the Fetch/Graphic Converter/Preview/iPhoto combination I use when putting images on my web server, the Toast/DVD2oneX/MacTheRipper/DVD Player combination I use for backing up DVDs. I would love also having an IM clients pile, a browsers pile, a games pile, and a desk accessory (TextEdit, Terminal, Calculator, System Prefs, Stickies) pile.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    NICE. Send it as feedback to apple
  • Reply 8 of 53
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    What would happen if you had, say, a 100 or 200 items in your pile?
  • Reply 9 of 53
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Then they'd shrink, like in the Dock.

I'd really like something like that, it looks cool.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    gorgeous!

Actually, does this "dock pile thing" has something to do with that "piled folder thing", which has been discussed earlier? As far as i can recall piled folders placed on the desktop, right?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Here's an animated version of the original Piles idea ::

http://homepage.mac.com/rdas7/piles.html
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Here's an animated version of the original Piles idea ::

http://homepage.mac.com/rdas7/piles.html

wow, this is compelling stuff. Is apple still working behind the fence? Or abandoned ... ?
  • Reply 13 of 53
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

wow, this is compelling stuff. Is apple still working behind the fence? Or abandoned ... ?

Probably abandoned since it offers nothing compelling over folder the way it's shown in that Flash demo.

Apple could probably make it much more usable than that. Or offer something even better.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    What?
  • Reply 15 of 53
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Then you would then have a cluttered windows computer (the start menu)
  • Reply 16 of 53
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member

It sounds more like some Dog Piles.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Thats not all there was to piles. Piles would automagically collect files according to what you specified, They where basically like smart playlist for files. But they looking inside the file aswell. They could read lines from text documents and such. So if you wanted a pile for all pictures that where 800x600 it would put them in that pile on its own once the picture entered your computer. Self organizing.

Of course this COULD be done with some heavy applescripting as it stands now
  • Reply 18 of 53
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    What advantage would piles bring over grouping files in a folder or a smart-folder (if it existed)?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Visual feedback perhaps?
  • Reply 20 of 53
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Visual feedback perhaps?

Just to clarify: This is a different implementation of the piles (un)feature. =)

- Xidius