Why don't more home have urinals?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I mean we see them at all the department stores. Why not in homes...surely less water is used with each flush...and the whole toilet seat up or down issue is resolved.

Just wondering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    because only half the population could use them naturally....
  • Reply 2 of 44
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    And generally men don't get interested in these details when a house is being built ? just like the lounge-chair companies who design their chairs to be optimally comfortable for people of average female size: because they know who will be making the purchase decision.

It would help prevent those horrible confrontations about toilet seats being up, aim, etc. ...
  • Reply 3 of 44
    vice108vice108 Posts: 26member
    My parents had urinals installed in two bathrooms in their house when they had them redone a few years ago. I must say - I like it. The primary benefit, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the bathroom stays much cleaner. Lets face it - it's the men that create most of the mess. Middle of the night misses and what-not. I hope my wife doesn't see this admission.

Vice
  • Reply 4 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Urinals aren't needed. The best thing we men can do is learn to pee sitting down. This helps keep things clean and you never have "seat down/seat up" fights.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well I am the only male in the house, may be an urinal will appear a little bit selfish ...
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Urinals aren't needed. The best thing we men can do is learn to pee sitting down. This helps keep things clean and you never have "seat down/seat up" fights.

But if it only adds an extra $1K, why not cater for both with added convenience for all?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    vice108vice108 Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

A man sitting down to pee is just like when you see a man riding on the back of a motorcycle - it's just lame.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by vice108

A man sitting down to pee is just like when you see a man riding on the back of a motorcycle - it's just lame.

I don't know about you, but its not a sight I'm particularly familiar with (well, except for members of my family, but apparently that's not normal).
  • Reply 9 of 44
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vice108

My parents had urinals installed in two bathrooms in their house when they had them redone a few years ago. I must say - I like it. The primary benefit, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the bathroom stays much cleaner. Lets face it - it's the men that create most of the mess. Middle of the night misses and what-not. I hope my wife doesn't see this admission.

Vice

There's no doubt about it that men make most of the mess. Having watched a few men piss in my time, it doesn't need to be the middle of the night for them to miss. All that practice with soggy biscuit when you're kids doesn't seem to help at all when it comes to getting it in the bowl.

Your wife already knows you're a grub. Everybody go to the bathroom now, get down on your hands and knees and look at the outside of the front of the bowl. Man piss everywhere right?

I'm with hmurchison. Learn to piss sitting down. So much cleaner, so much more civilized.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    ah ha... you are wrong... my mis-aims hit the back of the bowl... so there is brown nasty back there... so there cc
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

ah ha... you are wrong... my mis-aims hit the back of the bowl... so there is brown nasty back there... so there cc

Don't you hate it when it gets under the back of the seat? Now that's a bugger to clean when you have to get your house in order before the partner arrives...

I have observed the front-of-bowl phenomenon tho'. It's feral. On the plus side, it's very easy to fix.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

it's very easy to fix.

Then fix it! Jeez guys, god gave you the ability to aim and you just take it for granted.

Ah, bodily function threads. Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham....

Too much information billybob. Go clean your dunny now. (That's Australian for toilet).
  • Reply 13 of 44
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    How about some sort of 'tube' arrangement for guys? MUCH less costly than another porcelain appliance.

Like when the fighter jets approach the fuel tanker for a mid-air refueling - and those tubes come out?

With the right kind of tube arrangement, you guys wouldn't even have to use your hand. There could even be a litte vacuum-suction device to eliminate shaking. (haha )

'Course, if the vacuum suction were TOO 'strong'.....oh, nevermind.....
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Then fix it! Jeez guys, god gave you the ability to aim and you just take it for granted.

You need to notice it first, you know. When you're constantly drunk like us Australians, that's pretty difficult.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

you guys wouldn't even have to use your hand.

Uh, I think they wanna use their hand, Carol.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

How about some sort of 'tube' arrangement for guys? MUCH less costly than another porcelain appliance.

Like when the fighter jets approach the fuel tanker for a mid-air refueling - and those tubes come out?

With the right kind of tube arrangement, you guys wouldn't even have to use your hand. There could even be a litte vacuum-suction device to eliminate shaking. (haha )

'Course, if the vacuum suction were TOO 'strong'.....oh, nevermind.....

Wow, now that's imagery to get me going at 9 o'clock in the morning. All that thinking about sheep wasn't getting you a bit over-excited was it? You're not from New Zealand are you?

Personally, I'm waiting for cyborg techology to remove all this inefficient biological dross. That will indeed be a wonderful day.

Although injectable nicotine would be nicer just at the moment.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Somebody else's hand will do just as well, thank you very much.

bah-boom-ching.

[exit left, screaming "wibblewibblewibblewibblewibblewibble"]

Edit: note to self: restrain your peurility Stephen! Bad boy!

Edit2: yay! got the chapter in! time for some be-ah. 9:22a.m. isn't to early to start drinking, is it? Maybe a shower, too... I know: I can have my beer in the shower!
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

If they're drunk as often as staphbaby claims, I don't think using hands would be much of an issue at that particular time.

Do you?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Wow, now that's imagery to get me going at 9 o'clock in the morning. All that thinking about sheep wasn't getting you a bit over-excited was it? You're not from New Zealand are you?

Personally, I'm waiting for cyborg techology to remove all this inefficient biological dross. That will indeed be a wonderful day.

Although injectable nicotine would be nicer just at the moment.

Well hey! Good morning, Stephen. 9:00 AM Monday morning? Urgh.

No, I'm not from New Zealand (haha); but I always wanted to visit there. And no particular interest in sheep either.

You probably never saw the "bidet" thread here, from a few months back. After reading and posting in it, I'll never be quite the same.

Along the lines of cleanliness, as was discussed at length in that thread, I just got an image of the tube arrangement (mentioned above) having a little "washing-up" device, activated by the press of a button (on the side of the tube). The washing-up issue would also tie in with the circumcision thread (and links) that appeared at about the same time.

The bidet thread had links to a toilet seat called "Select Comfort", or something like that. Bodily-function threads always seem to do well here. Not sure why.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Well I must say this thread has really grossed me out but it is comforting to know other men are having the same issue as I. Geez you'd think toilet design would have changed by now to accomodate those "overshoots" cleaning that back part is a bugger.