Latest Mac games...?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    At least Doom 3 is coming out for mac, right? Can anybody confirm this?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deunan

At least Doom 3 is coming out for mac, right? Can anybody confirm this?

yes, id loves macs.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

That tells A LOT, just like Photoshop, they are only writing the code to utilize one processor.

I thought UT had more than one thread?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

That tells A LOT, just like Photoshop, they are only writing the code to utilize one processor.

i thought PS was written for 2...?????
  • Reply 25 of 34
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I tried Halo both on XBox and PC, for about an hour, single player mode. That was more than enough to get me bored and with no intention to ever play it again. I'd expect the Mac version to be maybe a bit slower but otherwise the same as the PC version.

On the Mac, I found Bejeweled to be very very addictive. It's shareware, so go try it out.

You say you already have Blizzard games set up... that includes Starcraft: Brood War I hope? (I've put in something like 500-700 hours this far.. it's just nuts how good and deep that game is when you get more skilled at it and start watching Korean pro games, etc)
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

I don't know what the hype is about WW2 games, they all look the same...! :P

What hype? Even though they look the same, they play different.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Unreal Tournament 2004

It's all you need, and it runs great. And yes, you can fight PC users online. (And whoop their asses)

Or just hook up to placebo's G5 and kick his ass... UT2K4 noob

PS
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Or just hook up to placebo's G5 and kick his ass... UT2K4 noob

PS

how are bots on UT2K4 .... are they sh1tty or realistic...//
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

snip

You say you already have Blizzard games set up... that includes Starcraft: Brood War I hope? (I've put in something like 500-700 hours this far.. it's just nuts how good and deep that game is when you get more skilled at it and start watching Korean pro games, etc)

i actually did not install that---fear or becoming enormously addicted to it again ... i am korean, btw, ... haha i moved onto CS after that though... i dunno if i should go back... ;P
  • Reply 30 of 34
    speaking of mac games... are there any good mac-game sites out there... i found www.insidemacgames.com ... i found mac.ign.com was waaay out-dated... any other suggestions/
  • Reply 31 of 34
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    About the one processor thing, this is my experience.

Some PC guy ran a Photoshop test with the same actions on the same photograph and asked us Mac folks to get our times.

I don't if the guy was sincere or just a troll, but I couldn't beat all of his times, because I noticed Photoshop 7.01 (with G5 update) was running the filters all on one processor.

I also noticed if I keep my CPU bars in my Activity monitor's dock icon turned on and launch UT2004, I briefly see only one processor top out before loosing the finder.

Now with this information that UT2004 runs the same on a Single 1.8 Ghz G5 as it does on a Dual 1.8 Ghz has got me wondering if a lot of software makers are not utilizing the other processor?

Perhaps they can't, like Photoshop for instance, what's the use in threading multiple filters?

You have to wait until one is finished before applying another obviosly.

Maybe UT2004 is the same thing?

What's nice about a Dual box is that while Photoshop is rendering a set of actions, one can be designing the layout in InDesign on the other processor. So one gets a productivity boost there.

I guess we will truly see a speed increase in chips if they can somehow process across both CPU's equally. Like a stripped array.

Either way rumor is 10.4 "Tiger" will have X-Grid integrated, so hopefully one can run a series of programs on networked computers and get the results on the head screen. Sort of like Apple Remote Desktop deluxe.

Of course a nice zero latency or fiber channel network would be needed for optimal speed. ARD is jerkey on Ethernet, horrible over wireless.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I also noticed if I keep my CPU bars in my Activity monitor's dock icon turned on and launch UT2004, I briefly see only one processor top out before loosing the finder.

Maybe UT2004 is the same thing?

UT2004 makes use of both processors, but it uses the second one for sound processing only. See here. Even so, there is a massive performance boost in dual processor machines, since sound processing alone in this game accounts for more than 35% of the total processor power required to run the game.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

speaking of mac games... are there any good mac-game sites out there... i found www.insidemacgames.com ... i found mac.ign.com was waaay out-dated... any other suggestions/

IMG is the best, and http://www.macgamer.com/ is a close second.

The gaming site at Apple is a nice "showcase" with some cool trailers. Check it out

www.apple.com/games I believe
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Perhaps they can't, like Photoshop for instance, what's the use in threading multiple filters?

You have to wait until one is finished before applying another obviosly.

Most filters lend themselves well to SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) because their mathematical nature is largely non-sequential. So you'd expect a single filter to be processed by two processors, then the next filter by two processors, et cetera. I'm guessing a bit here but I'd say most tasks you can substantially optimize with Altivec can be optimized to benefit from a second processor as well.