ichat to PC AIM

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I need help big time.

I have a new 1.5 AL book + isight and when I try to set up with my PC friend we can not get video or audio when in ichat (2.1) to aim (latest version). We got yahoo to work but only at 1 frame/second -realy crap!

What do I need to do? Do I need to open up ports? Or is there another thing we need to do. Texting only when you have 2 cameras is not fun. Is there a better IM service?

go go..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    How fast is your friends PC and how are you two connected to the internet?

BTW, this should be in genius bar.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    you know, I seem to have the same problem. I could do video conference no problem at uni, but now that I'm at home, it doesn't work. I get the following error message in the connection doctor:

2004-05-24 23:29:11 +0200: Maciej did not respond.

Tried to send UDP SIP "invite" to the following IP addresses and ports:

24.167.245.31:5060, 192.168.2.3:5060

Is a port blocked on my modem?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Most likely, your ISP has a firewall that blocks a port that is needed by iChat or by AIM.

If that's the case, read this. It may or may not help depending on your situation:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

The fact that Yahoo has terrible frame rates usually means that: 1) one of the two computers are too slow to properly process the in/out videostreams or 2) one of the two computers has a connection that is too slow.

Remember, your upload speed of your connection needs to meet the minimum specs of Apple. Usually only the download speed is advertised for connection speeds.

If that's the case, you need new equipment/faster connection.