Fairplay version 2 and iMovie

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does the latest version of Fairplay prevent the user from utilizing those songs obtained through the iTMS in an iMovie project?

If so, I'm going to start downloading music illegally.

By the way, the problem I'm having is, I can import the tunes that I've purchased after upgrading iTunes (and thereby upgrading fairplay), but I can't hear them in the project. I haven't tried it with many yet, but enough to suspect that this is the case. And other tunes that have fairplay version 1 or no fairplay at all (ripped from cds) still work like a charm.

And just as a matter of personal opinion, if this is the case, which I strongly suspect it is, I am so overwhelmed with a sense of indignation at this moment. I mean, fucking christ, music is overpriced as it is. I fucking paid money for this shit, in the name of "fairness and legality", to do what the hell I want to with it.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

And lastly, if this scenario is true, I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the direction of a fairplay stripping app. If it is not true, nevermind.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Upgrade QuickTime to 6.5.1 - it provides the functionality for iMovie and other apps to understand the 'new' Fairplay regime.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

Upgrade QuickTime to 6.5.1 - it provides the functionality for iMovie and other apps to understand the 'new' Fairplay regime.

My Quicktime is upgraded, and Pro no less!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

My Quicktime is upgraded, and Pro no less!

Looks like Fair Use takes another hit. Apple should have openly mentioned any lack of functionality. iLife was sold with the mention that AAC music tracks would play in iMove or iDVD. If that has changed then the value proposition for many users has as well and I would have to change my views on the validy of Hymn DRM stripping.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    iTunes and iMovie works for me. I have the updated iTunes, and Quicktime, and iMovie 4.0.1.....Hope you can figure out the problem, because that does suck. Sometimes I have that problem when I can't hear anything. Sometimes just quitting and trying again works.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

iTunes and iMovie works for me. I have the updated iTunes, and Quicktime, and iMovie 4.0.1.....Hope you can figure out the problem, because that does suck. Sometimes I have that problem when I can't hear anything. Sometimes just quitting and trying again works.

Can you confirm for me that music you've purchased after upgrading iTunes (music that has Fairplay 2) works after importing them to iMovie projects, and you can hear them from playing the project?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    brujazbrujaz Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Can you confirm for me that music you've purchased after upgrading iTunes (music that has Fairplay 2) works after importing them to iMovie projects, and you can hear them from playing the project?

Everything I've bought from the iTMS works with iMovie, including purchases after the iTunes upgrade. I can even export them (using the Share... menu item) to another format. I have all the latest upgrades for iTunes and Quicktime installed.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    all my bought songs work with iMovie as well