Keynote Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been trying out a friends copy of Keynote to see if I'd prefer it to PowerPoint (if so, then I'd only need to buy Word and not the whole Office package).

It all seems straight-forward except for one thing: I can't seem to find where to set how long each slide lasts in the presentation and where I can tell it to loop.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    As far as I know, it doesn't play itself from within Keynote - you must click through each slide yourself. You can save it as a quicktime file and when you save it, set it to however long per slide you want.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

As far as I know, it doesn't play itself from within Keynote - you must click through each slide yourself. You can save it as a quicktime file and when you save it, set it to however long per slide you want.

Hmmm, if that's the case then I don't think I'll get it, at least at this version. I need to be able to make a slideshow that I can start, then leave and let it loop.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You can - save it as a QuickTime movie file, and set it to loop in the player.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You can - save it as a QuickTime movie file, and set it to loop in the player.

Yes, that works, but not for me. You see, I have to send it to another computer at our church running Windows from which the presentation will be played. It runs a program that takes care of everything you need for the projector during a service and takers your PowerPoint slides and puts them in a list for you. We run a slide show before the service that contains info like announcements and a welcome message. Making it a quicktime movie would work, but would make the file pretty large.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er, if that's the infrastructure you have, ie, a Windows, box, why were you inquiring about Keynote? The only options you have in that case are either exporting to PowerPoint (which is not perfect), or a QuickTime movie (which will play just fine on a Windows machine).

Keynote has some kick-butt design features, and while the playback options are less rich than PowerPoint on its own, when you add in QuickTime export it has some really nice possibilities. (Yes, the movie size can be large if that's a serious concern for you, although with any network of at least Ethernet speeds it shouldn't.)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    The Quicktime Export module has compression settings like iMovie...

basic presets for Web, CDROM, Video, and a custom option for codec access

where you could specify keyframes and colour depth for optimum playback/size.

Depends on your theme, graphic content and use of transitions, but it's doable.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I use my Mac at home to do all the designing for our church, one of which is the announcement slides, and any other special slides needed for a service. I realize that I'd have to export from Keynote to PowerPoint to do it and since I like Keynote better, as an application, I'd thought it would work, short of exporting to QuickTime.

While the QuickTime format is doable, it would be too constraining. If we had to make last minute changes, we wouldn't be able oo.

My other option would be to add the timing and looping on the Windows machine after I'm done in Keynote at home.