Mac Developer forum?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anybody know where there is some heavily populated Mac developer forums?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Does anybody know where there is some heavily populated Mac developer forums?

CocoaDev is not precisely a forum, but still a good site. Sometimes MacOSX Guru has interesting articles.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    By far, the most popular of such resources are the developer discussion lists run by apple. You can sign up for specific email lists via apple's developer website. You can also browse web based archives or receive daily digest emails from this list.

It's free so go sign up today!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

By far, the most popular of such resources are the developer discussion lists run by apple. You can sign up for specific email lists via apple's developer website. You can also browse web based archives or receive daily digest emails from this list.

It's free so go sign up today!

I'm a list member, but I wish there was a few dedicated developer forums that one could go to, and search to get some answers to simple, and more difficult questions alike.

I think the most difficult thing is beginning Mac programming without any prior programming knowledge.

Example:
    • Say you buy a few books in C. That are known as the best C resources of all time.

• If you try and follow the examples in the books in xcode you'll be stuck in a heartbeat.

• [rant]H3ll, Apple is probably loosing over half it's future development community right there.[/rant]

• You can do the same examples in any x86 compiler and at least see your results.

Xcode needs a transitional, or traditional Project from the New Project Assistant, and New File Assistant to streamline learning traditional programming techniques before executing, or importing your knowledge of these techniques to a Cocoa, or a Carbon project or whatever. Just the Assistant is out of the ordinary if your learning from traditional sources. Which btw, are still the best programming guides available anyway.

I'm surprised Apple has not included anything of this nature in the developer tools.

Sure, there are plenty of sample packages, and programs that you can pick apart, and gain some inside Mac application knowledge from, but your totally skipping the fundamentals of programming as far as I can tell\

.);

I'm going to finish reading my C books, and try one Cocoa book, but even that says you need some OO, Java, or C++ knowledge to fully understand.

I thought Objective C was supposed to be the OO version of C.

It's all becoming a big pain in the @$$.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

If you try and follow the examples in the books in xcode you'll be stuck in a heartbeat.
    [rant]H3ll, Apple is probably loosing over half it's future development community right there.[/rant]
    You can do the same examples in any x86 compiler and at least see your results.

What book is it? Is it x86 specific? Standard command line C stuff should just work right out of the book.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

What book is it? Is it x86 specific? Standard command line C stuff should just work right out of the book.

Actually, I have been trying to work from a 6 video tape series, but I should have gone back to The C programming language second edition because as far as I can tell is the C BIBLE by GOD. I also have another book called C by dissection 4th ED that I'm going to tackle after this, but before I enter Cocoa.

Are you a programmer?

I did just find these interesting online courses at:

http://www.macdevuniversity.com/

Which have yet to look over, but everything looks promising.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you drop down to the command line and use gcc from the Terminal, any Linux or Unix oriented 'Learn C in sixteen minutes!' book should do you just fine.

FWIW, you'll find the same problem if you try and learn from the same source while running Visual C on Windows... the text needs to match the tool for it to be of the most benefit.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The terminal code works fine with cc, and gcc, but I'd like to use it in a gui environment to get accustomed to the layout, and workings of it all. I was thinking that way Xcode wouldn't/won't seem so foreign by the time I get to it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Browse to the documentation directory using Finder in your hard disk. You can find offline versions of all the good reading material that are available online at Apple's website. There are specific documents on how to use XCode / getting started with XCode with examples, etc. You can use those as a starting point for learning the development platform.

You should also take a look at Realbasic to see if that addresses your development needs. Realbasic is cross platform as well. It has it's limitations; but it is easy to learn.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Doesn't Omni Group have a developer forum?

<checks>

OK, they have a mailing list. At least some help I hope.

http://www.omnigroup.com/developer/
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Browse to the documentation directory using Finder in your hard disk. You can find offline versions of all the good reading material that are available online at Apple's website. There are specific documents on how to use XCode / getting started with XCode with examples, etc. You can use those as a starting point for learning the development platform.

talksense101 , I'm fully aware of all that stuff, and have read into it many times. You don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

BTW, I'm not at all interested in Real Basic.