Bush's speech

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
He couldn't even pronounce Abu Ghraib right, stumbling over it. Then he pinned blame of the torture interrogation of prisoners on only the 7 low-level soldiers. It's like in Serpico-you can't have that kind of corruption going on without at least complacent (if not directly ordering the torture) upper management. I was surprised that companies are conducting the interrogations. The military-industrial-Christian complex has America by its jugular! In reality I think voting for Kerry in lieu of Twig will ease it but that is all. Sometimes I wish Ralph Nader could actually win!

Video (gah Realmedia) at www.c-span.org

What do ya'll think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Long on rhetoric, short on to the point answers. Typical.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    i think it's funny that he gave this speech at the war college. everyone is sure to clap very enthusiastically to be sure, and right on cue. way to stack the house gw. keeps all them grumpy looking nay sayers away and more importantly, off camera.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Speaking as an ex-bush supporter.... I am ashamed to even THINK that I ever supported this guy.

Now that I think about it, he may have burned my bridges with the Republican party forever. Scary to think that one person could screw things up so bad that I'm willing to swear off a Party allegiance.

I guess I fall into that ever growing group of "anybody but Bush" group.

www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.c om
  • Reply 4 of 70
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    What I found hilarious/pathetic was the fact of all those "War " college folks enthusiastically clapping at the president's speech as if they were words coming from a great "military" leader... What a sham. Wake up sheeple...
  • Reply 5 of 70
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Bush made a speech? Interesting.

At a war college? Typical.

Was anything new or relevant? Not.

He should have just sent a grainy videotape recorded from a bunker to Aljazeera...

/dontcareatall
  • Reply 6 of 70
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Speaking as an ex-bush supporter.... I am ashamed to even THINK that I ever supported this guy.

Now that I think about it, he may have burned my bridges with the Republican party forever. Scary to think that one person could screw things up so bad that I'm willing to swear off a Party allegiance.

Despite what current Bush supporters are saying I'm seeing this more and more now.

It's like I've been saying Bush isn't just bad for democrats. He's bad for republicans and america as a whole.

Why? Because it's pretty evident he's out for himself not us. Anyone like that is likely to do anything. Which is kind of scary considering his position of power.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Haha sheeple did you make that one up!

Yeup you can tell by his vicious little smirk. It drives me crazy! And how he tries to look interesting and caring when he squints. He's still a spoiled frat boy and you can tell. You'd think the War College would be the first place to recognize that and sit silently through the whole speech. The man went AWOL during Vietnam to smoke doobies and do crack; he deserves no support from the military. Look at what he and Rummy ordered them to do in Abu Ghraib and are now blaming the poor schmucks at the bottom, especially today in his speech. They're going to "demolish" Abu Ghraib. Yay? I like that political cartoon where they're pulling down a statue (like in Baghdad) but it's a likeness of Rumsfeld.

The reason he alienates his own party is as I outlined earlier: "I thought Republicans at least classically were anti-government, as in anti-spooks. The Republican party in America is just a big bunch of hypocrites who spend more money than Democrats (tax breaks for the rich, military contracts, Medicare give out, subsidies, tariffs, etc) and conserve far less, as in the environment, civil liberties such as what the PATRIOT Act takes away, American lives in Iraq, soldiers' pensions, privacy and women's choice, need I go on." To add to that: I like how someone recently said we have one of the highest oil prices in something like 14 years, and yet we have the oiliest President in history. Hehe I like that image. Bush sure is a oily, greasy, weasly guy! And yet so transparent. John McCain is a classical Republican. I like how he has a Pork Barrel section on his page. http://mccain.senate.gov/
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

John McCain is a classical Republican. I like how he has a Pork Barrel section on his page. http://mccain.senate.gov/

Do you think we all missed someone for leading this country?

McCain was that man. It's a tragedy that he wasn't a stronger choice for the sheeple...er...people...

Ah well. At least we have another secret keeper (Boneman Kerry) and lame duck complainer (Nader) for a choice in the next four years...

/pleaseshootme
  • Reply 9 of 70
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Many people voted for him in 2000 because of his "down home" public persona, his platform of moderation, "compassionate conservatism", and foreign policy of non-intervention and non nation building. Fair enough. But did anyone expect that his stated intentions were the inverse of his record to date?

His speech was exactly as expected: what else could he say? But why would anyone believe this serial liar? The Iraqis certianly don't:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._nm/iraq_dc_63
  • Reply 10 of 70
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I didn?t hear the speech but I watched the spin. A couple things struck me, other than what has already been said:

Namely, that he said that we went into Iraq in order to ?free the people? . . . which means that, officially, the motivation for war has shifted completely away from the stated objectives before the war, not just sort of kind of away as in not mentioning it as much . . . now its officially 'to free the people'.

A note: I was working out at the gym when Bush said this (?to free the Iraqi people? )on the TV and I said out loud ?oh really??

The woman next to me nodded ?yes?

I -?what about WMD??

She - ?oh, they?ll turn up?

Which is strange, either we went in to free the Iraqi people and the WMD are not the reason, or, the WMD are still there and the reason is not to ?free the Iraqi people? . . . can?t have it both ways without a lie being told somewhere along the line.

The other thing that I noticed was the very visible, and ?Press Release?-style meeting today with Iraqis who were tortured by Saddam Hessian: Bush meeting with Iraqis who are missing limbs

No, let me rephrase that:

Bush making a press package photo opportunity out of meeting with a few amputee torture victims of S.Hussain

Lat me simply ask, isn?t there something OUT OF SYNC about this PR meeting?

Look at the situation:

We have been shown, and are being shown more every day, to have tortured and even killed a few of our own Iraqis.

We also have an enormous amount of fine young soldiers who are missing limbs because of this war . . . these soldiers, who, for the most part, remain invisible or are the subject of human-interest stories from local news channels who dwell only on their challenge and their courage.

What is Rove trying to show the American people with this posed affair?

Maybe its not for the American people maybe its an International PR campaign?

I can?t help but be slightly sickened by the obvious cynical attempt at sentimentally manipulating American opinion about our treatment of Iraqis, while also sickened that our fine and deserving injured American soldiers are still remaining invisible as far as the Bush administration is concerned, because they may seem to be a liability to Bush?s popularity.

Did anybody else see this PR meeting with the Iraqis?

other than those things, Im sure it was a historic speech.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Missed this speech as you could tell...but hey, one every week right? One question/thought...

Abu Ghraib - The Pentagon reportedly spent $50 million dollars renovating and upgrading it when they moved in, correct?

And now it'll be rubble. Ahhh, fiscal responsibility!

/shootmeagainimstilltwitching
  • Reply 12 of 70
    As an ex-Republican and veteran, I SPIT on Rove and his ilk...

The Bushies have in fact been employing Jedi (dark) mind control on the sheeple. It has worked to a considerable extent! However, the effects are beginning to wear off now.

OK, all kidding aside, this administration seems to be a "tad" out of touch with the reality on the ground. As far as his weak grasp of English grammer, didn't we hear frat-boy bragging one time in public about even a C student becoming the President of the world's most powerful nation. Be afraid world, be very afraid...
  • Reply 13 of 70
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Why is it so important to "free the Iraqi people"? What is this sudden concern of the Bush crowd with "human rights"?

If freedom and human rights for the Iraqis is of such a huge priority that we spend $200 billion of our taxpayers dollars on them, why don't they address the human rights and freedom of the numerous oppressive regimes worldwide that operate with our tacit approval? Perhaps one nation is all we can handle finacially? Can't afford any others? What is so damned special about the Iraqis that they deserve so much attention? We kill 10 thousand +, then trumpet their "freedom"?

Would we have spent this kind of money on Iraq if no oil was present there?

As if....
  • Reply 14 of 70
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Abu Ghraib - The Pentagon reportedly spent $50 million dollars renovating and upgrading it when they moved in, correct?

And now it'll be rubble. Ahhh, fiscal responsibility!

It's not Abu Ghraib that's being torn down... they're tearing down Abu Goo-rub... Abu Groo-abe... Abu something.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

It's not Abu Ghraib that's being torn down... they're tearing down Abu Goo-rub... Abu Groo-abe... Abu something.

They'll build a diner there to park all them empty Halliburton flat bed trucks...

1. Coffee!

2. Apple Pie!

3. Democracy!

/twitch
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Just for the record, I don't "like" Kerry. I do believe he will be much less harmful to the country and world at large. This sucks, but I too will vote for him to get monkey face and his merry band of Robin Hood's (hey steal from the middle class and give to the rich) out of the White House..
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Just for the record, I don't "like" Kerry. I do believe he will be much less harmful to the country and world at large. This sucks, but I too will vote for him to get monkey face and his merry band of Robin Hood's (hey steal from the middle class and give to the rich) out of the White House..

No. I would only vote for Kerry if he divulged his whole role and participation in the Skull & Bones Society. He spills the beans, separates from them and he has my vote.

Don't get me wrong. I sense something a lot better as a leader compared to Arbusto...but get the truth out. AND STOP HIDING RIGHT NOW!

If not then he's just another liar (and Nader is a waste of time). No vote for me. And I have that right not to vote for these candidates. If I do not see one that suits what our country needs right now then fuck it. It's like an employer who can only hire an employee but is restricted to two "resumes".

/anarchytheotherwhitemeat.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

No. I would only vote for Kerry if he divulged his whole role and participation in the Skull & Bones Society. He spills the beans, separates from them and he has my vote.

Don't get me wrong. I sense something a lot better as a leader compared to Arbusto...but get the truth out. AND STOP HIDING RIGHT NOW!

If not then he's just another liar (and Nader is a waste of time). No vote for me. And I have that right not to vote for these candidates. If I do not see one that suits what our country needs right now then fuck it. It's like an employer who can only hire an employee but is restricted to two "resumes".

/anarchytheotherwhitemeat.

Problem is, while you can not vote, there is no such thing as a not-vote. ya know?

You can't goto the ballot and say "not-kerry" or "not-nader"

And not going into the ballot just means it's going to take one less vote to elect whoever.

edit: I'm a goon
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Problem is, while you can not vote, there is no such thing as a not-vote. ya know?

You can't goto the ballet and say "not-kerry" or "not-nader"

And not going into the ballet just means it's going to take one less vote to elect whoever.

I hate ballet.

/dontgetyourpoint

• Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Rarely do I laugh out loud at work when I read posts, but the "monkey face and his merry band of Robin Hood's" was too much. Thanks for the laugh! I too will not vote for monkey face.