iCal 2.0 feature requests

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone else feel like there has yet to be an organizational app that doesn't eat screen real-estate for breakfast? i try to use iCal on my secondary 1024x768 monitor at home, and once i kick open the to-do list drawer, the days of the week are too skinny to read at a glance.

i'm not sure what exactly to do about it, but personally, i do not need the monthly calendar listings always open. if i need to see a month at a time, i'll just switch the main display to monthly instead of weekly. even if apple could make the divider bar between the calendar list and days of week moveable and collapsible like panther's finder, that would help. (unless there's a way to hide the calendar list i haven't found yet...)

count me in with the whole "something to show current time of day" indicator. this doesn't seem like a hard thing to add, nor would it introduce too much clutter.

and why are all the buttons at the bottom of the window, where they are more likely to vanish when you move around the window? i had the same issue with iphoto... button should be on top, as it gets resized less often, and is usually always visible. i sent in this suggestion for iphoto, but iphoto 4 still has 'em welded to the bottom.

oh, and finally, why can't iCal represent the current date in its dock icon without having to launch first? i guess you could have it launch automatically at startup and have it hide the app, but that seems a tad clunky.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    How about...

#1. Being able to search the todo list.

#2. Being able to move dated todos via drag and drop.

#3. Two month view for easier duplication of recurrent but non-regular events (like my work shifts) to the upcoming month.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

anyone else feel like there has yet to be an organizational app that doesn't eat screen real-estate for breakfast? i try to use iCal on my secondary 1024x768 monitor at home, and once i kick open the to-do list drawer, the days of the week are too skinny to read at a glance.

The reality is that too many options suck, making the app complicated to use.

But thanks to cocoa it is possible to change a lot of these sorts of things. Make a copy of iCal, and open its main nib file in interface builder. Then delete the elements you dont want. See what happens.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    How about an industry standard calendar format?

I don't know much about the iCalendar format (from the makers of the vCard),

but I've been reading up on it.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's what iCal uses.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

That's what iCal uses.

My bad. I thought the article was saying iCal and iCalendar were completely separate. (Which they are, but it could have been worded more clearly to show that Apple is supporting the standard with iCal.)
  • Reply 27 of 28
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    when I have a birthday in my cell phone, and I synch it with iCal, I'd like for iCal to recognize this and then TELL me that its a birthday....
  • Reply 28 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Depends on how the birthday is stored in the phone - as part of the address book, or as part of the calendar?

If the latter, iCal should pick it up.

If the former, Address Book should pick it up - but then we're right back to the request for iCal to automatically grab that info from AB.