Best guess for actual Tiger release date

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What is the usual period of time between the preview of a new OS at the developers conference and the actual ship date?

If the WWDC ends on July 2nd, can we expect to see it within that month? Or is it more like Sept/Oct?

Just trying to figure out when to drop $ on a Powerbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    10.0 Cheetah: Released March 24, 2001 as targetted

10.1 Puma: Previewed at MWNY (July) 2001, released the same day, I believe

10.2 Jaguar: Previewed at MWNY (July) 2002, released August 2002 (right?)

10.3 Panther: Previewed at WWDC (June) 2003, released October 2003

They are going to preview 10.4 Tiger at WWDC in June this year. From the above, you can probably expect its release at least a few months after that. I'd say fall. Others say winter; some even suggest it might take until early 2005 for the actual release.

Panther's release date was not even announced until September. So don't get your hopes up too high about knowing when to get it...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Thanks for the recap.

Looks like I'll have to play by ear and at least hear what they say on June 28th as to the release date.

I'm still on Jag, so I don't want to fork over extra money to get Tiger. But if it's late 2004 or early 2005, I may have to bit the bullet and get Panther in the interim.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    January 24th, 2005.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hard to even guess until we see what it will bring to the table. If there are lots of new features and apps, you can bet it will be late this year and not the typical pattern of later summer or early fall. If there are only a couple major new features and a lot of under-the-hood type stuff (networking protocols, support for new programming APIs, etc.) then you can probably expect the pattern to remain intact. The more brand new GUI stuff they introduce, the longer it's going to take to test it inside and outside of Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    it will have to be this calendar year, as steve in Jan. at mwsf promised big things this year

it will defffenately be b4 long horn
  • Reply 6 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Summer 2005.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Summer 2005.

You're insane.