think secret gives iBook specs...looks like a nice x-mas present

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/nov6ibooks.html"; target="_blank">here</a>

only a slight speed bump...but a 200 dollar price drop makes the entry iBook sub 1 grand (by a buck)...nice to get a laptop for a grand though...was gonna get a couple of iPods for xmas for the kids....maybe a laptop instead now....nice to have options....have to go make subtle hints to the girls to see what they would prefer...g

g

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    If those prices are real it would be hard to not buy one. The only thing that would make the low-end model even better is a CD-RW.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    At least the prices are floating in the right direction, even if the specification remains a little laggardly. I expect that part of it to be fixed next year when new CPU's and smaller process allow all the product lines to get a substantial boost. Combo-drive should be the base optical by now. I can't find a PC laptop without it. They could put one of the first edition 4X speed units in the low end and 8-12X burners in the top end units. Also, 30GB should be the minimum HDD compliment, 20Gb in a pinch (for the 999 model), but again, I can't find PC laptos with less than 30Gb of storage, and I expect tht minimum, not at the inflated Apple upgrade price.

They should be (at least) as follows.

999 - 700, 12.1, 20GB, and 4X combo, 1 soldered 128MB so-dimm, one open slot (640MB max)

1299 - 800, 12.1, 30GB and 8X combo, 1 soldered 256MB so-dimm, one open slot. (756MB max)

1499 - 800, 14.1, 40GB and 8/12X combo, 1 soldered 256MB sodimm, one open slot. (756MB max)
  • Reply 3 of 71
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    C'mon Apple ... papa wants a 32MB video card!

Well, it's nice to dream.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    20 gigs is plenty for the average consumer shelling out only a G for a laptop. Apple wouldnt be doing anything wrong here with 20 gigs in a low end portable machine.

Oh and your having trouble finding a PC laptop with less than 30 gigs? <a href="http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3433783/"; target="_blank">my first try</a>

20 gigs as well, but this is selling for more than the new low end ibook will.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    Hmm, prices slashed on apples most competitive product. does this point to big price cuts across the board like we've all been clamoring for?
  • Reply 6 of 71
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by TommyBrando:

<strong>20 gigs is plenty for the average consumer shelling out only a G for a laptop. Apple wouldnt be doing anything wrong here with 20 gigs in a low end portable machine.

Oh and your having trouble finding a PC laptop with less than 30 gigs? <a href="http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3433783/"; target="_blank">my first try</a>

20 gigs as well, but this is selling for more than the new low end ibook will.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ewww, an HP laptop. Anyone who complains that the TiBook gets too hot has never seen an HP laptop. HP had them forged in hell.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    In an actual store in the 2000-2300 Canadian range, every single laptop I see has a combo drive and 30GB storage and at least a 14.1" screen. Making a 999USD comp (1500-1600 Canadian) would be a bit cheaper than that so, like I said, the 20GB would do for a 999 machine. But it would still only be a 12" screen, compared to 14 and they should include a combo (albeit a slow one) sometimes you need to burn a file or two.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacFP:

<strong>If those prices are real it would be hard to not buy one. The only thing that would make the low-end model even better is a CD-RW.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think a DVD only drive would be better... it keeps costs down and you can always add a faster burner later. what do you do more often on the road? watch a DVD or burn a CD? yeah thats what i thought....
  • Reply 9 of 71
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If the price is like what TS told. That means at least one of Apple's products doesn't suck that much
  • Reply 10 of 71
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I think the prices are great. They are finally more affordable and much more competitive with the other PC laptops now.

Apple has put itself into a great position for X'mas!!

Glad they didn't remove the 12" model. Its great for portability purposes, and it looks cute
  • Reply 11 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I can't find PC laptos with less than 30Gb of storage, and I expect tht minimum, not at the inflated Apple upgrade price.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try the Dell Inspiron 2650, hp pavilion ze4101, Gateway 400s, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    The other week I perused a few local business stores. Above 2000 Canadian, all models on display came with 30GB HDD's. Yes I can find models with less, but not in the 2000-2300 range at which all the models I looked at had 14" screens. They were Compaqs and HPs. It wasn't an exhastive search by any means, but 256MB and 30GB with Combo and 14/15" screen seems pretty much standard for a 2000-2300 Canadian (about 1300-1500). Apple should do better on the base RAM (in one slot please) and the base HDD, just a bit mind, but better.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    matsu...quickly approaching 3000 posts...99 percent of which are complaints about apple prices....consistency is a beautiful thing....lovingly g
  • Reply 14 of 71
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>

i think a DVD only drive would be better... it keeps costs down and you can always add a faster burner later. what do you do more often on the road? watch a DVD or burn a CD? yeah thats what i thought.... </strong><hr></blockquote>

You can get the DVD only drive on the low-end model now. I'm not on the road so a CD-RW would be better for me if I were to get one. It should be a option.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>matsu...quickly approaching 3000 posts...99 percent of which are complaints about apple prices....consistency is a beautiful thing....lovingly g</strong><hr></blockquote>

So nice of you to notice.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The $999 iBook will have a 20 GB HDD. The $1299 iBook will have a 30 GB HDD. That is consistent with all PC manufacturers. Some PC manufacturers are selling $1300 notebooks with 20 GB HDDs, like Gateway.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So can we pretty safely clock the 800 to 900 like we can the 700 to 800 now with CHUD?
  • Reply 18 of 71
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    What are everyone's thoughts on the video spanning capabilities? Do you think it'll have it or will we have to resort to dangerous hacks again?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    The hack is about as dangerous as taking a dump. Not really fun, but it does no harm.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    taking a dump is so much fun!! it is relaxing! how can you not like it?