Christian Music Thieves

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/05/25/christian_pirates/index_np.html

Quote:

Christian teens are just as eager to file-swap copyrighted music as any other youngsters. But if the word of God gets spread, would Jesus give a damn?

http://www.cmta.com/antipiracy.htm

Quote:

Part of The Barna Group study was dedicated to testing slogans and logos for a gospel music industry anti-piracy campaign. From the results, the GMA has chosen "Millions of Wrongs Don't Make It Right" for the campaign's theme.

"The GMA has been an outspoken supporter of the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) efforts to fight piracy, but we still believe we must make a stronger and more direct appeal to our specific music fan base. With the campaign, we hope to establish the moral argument for our consumers; thereby moving them from wrong behavior to the many legal alternatives to acquire their music," Styll said.

IMO these kids stealin' music is no more morally repugnant than these leeches making a profit off of Jesus Christ. Save your moral high ground antics for someone who actual has morals. The hypocrisy is amazing.

"I'm singin for Jesus......as long as I'm making money"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    On a related note, Charles Graner, reported to be the worst abuser at Abu Ghraib, said: "The Christian in me says it's wrong, but the corrections officer in me says, 'I love to make a grown man piss himself.' "
  • Reply 2 of 14
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Oh, I see...I thought you were talking about the tendency of Christian rockers to copy their secular counterparts.

Like the Christian band Petra making a song that's identical to a KISS song but has different words. Christian music, what a pandering cesspool.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Christian music, what a pandering cesspool.

Just like right-wing "journalism."
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Palace Brothers are christians and seem to be alluding to it in every song . . . and they are great!!!

But Im not sure they would fall into the 'Christian music' catagory . . . more like Christians making music and music that is Christian but not Christian Music . . . . IE: not part of that multi-billion dollar Christian Music and Literature industry
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Stealing from the flock so to speak.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Like the Christian band Petra making a song that's identical to a KISS song but has different words. Christian music, what a pandering cesspool.

man, why is everyone so eager to criticize and dismiss christian music? there is a lot of good christian music, and i think you probably know that. i'd name some bands, but that isn't really the point; the point is how ridiculous it is to dismiss a diverse and viable group of musicians with real talent because you have a problem with christianity.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

man, why is everyone so eager to criticize and dismiss christian music? there is a lot of good christian music, and i think you probably know that. i'd name some bands, but that isn't really the point; the point is how ridiculous it is to dismiss a diverse and viable group of musicians with real talent because you have a problem with christianity.

I didn't dismiss Christian music . . . .but I do find the 'Industry' a little nauseating

after all Bach's greatest works were written for recital in churchs . ..

and really great Christian music lets even me feel the profoundness of the Spirit

even if I am not (at least ostensibly) a Christian
  • Reply 8 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I used to be heavily into the christian music thing, I am still a Christian, but when I got my first tasts of real music like well, anything but moddern pop, rap and country, I loved it, this prompted a question for which any minister I have asked still cant answer:

why do you teach/preach that it is bad to listen to "secular" music, but it is fine, or at least never railed against to watch movies?

using the standards of the past 3 youth groups I have been in, it is fine or even cool to watch "Terminator 3" or "The Matrix" but if you listen to ozzy ozborn or linclon park, you are on the pathway to hell.

my conclusion, follow the money, who owns and/or runs the lables? denominations? a group of churches?

I would love answers but untill I get them, I will just assume that the answer is green with dead presidents on it.

after thought,

moddern (non-hymn) christian music is nothing more than secular music retooled
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    a_greer

That's my problem as well. I have disdain for those that preach Christian values for a buck. Hey I'm cool with tithing but calling ones morals in question because they wish to listen to Christian music "freely" is hypocrisy. Do I wish for Christian groups to starve? Of course not but if the message is supposed to be key then they of all people should have the least fear about piracy.

Yes I do hold Christian groups to a higher standard than everyone else. Piety and cupidity make odd bedfellows.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    "Christian teens are just as eager to file-swap copyrighted music as any other youngsters. But if the word of God gets spread, would Jesus give a damn?"

"...As long as he shares his 40.

I don't give a damn."

• Reply 11 of 14
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Christian music sucks?

geez, I thought Bach was pretty good.

In reality, there is a danger in "Christian" music in that it attemps to take some questionable musical phrasing and turn it somehow into a testimony. Musicology has been abandoned by most Chrsitians, along with most other sciences. I don't think that a classical understanding of Musicology has any sway over most pop music produced today.

I have to deal with typography; the more I study it, it amazes me what I do without thinking on a page with fonts, layout etc.---and how it says more than I realize.Sometimes I say things would NEVER EVER want the reader to infer. It's the same with music. The "Christian" music is in as much danger of worshipping the same false gods as anyone else's music.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

.... The "Christian" music is in as much danger of worshipping the same false gods as anyone else's music.

they already worship false gods, like Ben and George

I have noticed something else, 'secular' CDs sell here for ~$13-$16 and "christian" music sells for ~$15 - $20.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Christian music sucks?

geez, I thought Bach was pretty good.

Yeah, but they go too far in the effort these days to suck.

Christian X-Treme Metal? "Hard Hitting" Christian music?