How to change the deafult language n region setting?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I selected chinese as the deafult language when I 1st switched on my powerbook...but then i tried to change the language back to english...it works...

but some parts of the system are still in chinese...

the worst thing is that all the links in sofari are linked to those chinese websites..(news,shopping,etc...)

and also when i click on the MAC OSX icon down the bottom right hand side, it links to apple china as well...

any idea how can i change all those languages n region settings back to english uk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zhenboyzhenboy Posts: 10member
    *bump*
  • Reply 2 of 7
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    System Preferences > Languages Tab is the place to set your preferences for language (note that you can seriously customise the sorting: mine now only has Australian English, followed by British English, and then "English"). You probably also want to change the region in the region tab to wherever it is you are. I imagine this is what you did already though.

That's all you should need to do.

It's possible that the links in Safari are selected at install time, and never updated if you change language. You'll probably therefore want to go into the Safari bookmark manager (Bookmarks > Show all Bookmarks) and delete all the bookmarks you don't want. Deleting the Safari bookmarks database might also work (Users:[yourname]:Library:Safari:Bookmarks.plist), although this will also delete all of your own bookmarks.

Re the Mac OS X link, just navigate to http://www.apple.com/uk/, and drag the URL from the location bar to the dock (or just click and drag from this post). This will place the correct link there; you probably want to drag the old one out of the dock: it will just "explode". I usually do that anyway...

Non-apple applications might not always switch language when you switch the main language though - in which case you may have to reinstall them. Internet Explorer springs to mind, piece of poo that it is.

I'm hardly an expert on this though ? I've only done it once or twice ? so someone else might like to offer their opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    thanx.....anyone has differ' ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Does anyone how can I do a MASTER RESET for the powerbook?

I wanna get it back to the factory settings where I can re-select the language!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    You could use the CD/DVD that came with the computer to format and re-set the computer to out-of-the-box status, but that does seem to be overkill...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

You could use the CD/DVD that came with the computer to format and re-set the computer to out-of-the-box status, but that does seem to be overkill...

Yes, I tried with the 2 discs....

I can only reinstall but not RESET...u know wot i mean?

I cant RESET it..but only reinstall the system as an upgrade...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zhenboy

Yes, I tried with the 2 discs....

I can only reinstall but not RESET...u know wot i mean?

I cant RESET it..but only reinstall the system as an upgrade...

On the installer for OS X, hit the "options" box (or it might be customise, hell, its only three weeks since I've done this), and select "Archive and Install". To be absolutely sure, select the option where you don't preserve user or network settings.

Basically, this does a completely clean install, and moves your stuff (documents, old system settings and preferences, large parts of the old operating system) to a folder called "Previous Systems" on your HD. You'll need to move all your documents back to your home area from Previous Systems:Previous System 1:Users:[yourname].