Powerbook Problems - Help Please!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Powerbook Problems - Help Required Please!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bizarre thing happened the other day...

I was using my PB G4 1Ghz (OSX 10.3.2, 512 RAM), when it suddenly froze. I pressed the reset button but while rebooting, the screen remained blank (black). I pressed the reset button again, and it booted up ok, but the desktop appeared to have reset itself. The dock contained items like .Mac and the address book, which I do not normally keep there, and other I do use, like Limewire, Photoshop and Elements were gone. In a similar way, all the folders had white backgrounds and scattered icons, unlike the aqua blue and snap to grid I normally use.

While fortunately no data appears to be missing, iPhoto will now not function. The program runs but when loading photos, bombs out. The pictures are still there in the iPhoto library, but some will now not open in preview, giving the error 'the file may be corrupt'.

Although it appears I have got away without much serious damage, I am concerned as to why this would happen, and what I can do to prevent this happening in the future. I regularly repair the disk permissions, allow Panther to recover the vault space, and keep the drive relatively free of heavy loads.

If anyone could suggest anything I would be grateful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Genius Bar, our tech support forum.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    stanstan Posts: 32member
    Whoops, sorry
  • Reply 3 of 11
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    1. Reboot

2. reset PRAM

3. repair permissions again

4. Post back if problems still exist.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    If problems after the previous suggestions still exist, run DiskWarrior. (Not Norton). If they still exist post ...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Thanks for your help, chaps.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Help! (Again)

Reset PRAM and ran disk utility again (each time it is run it says there are no files to repair). No improvement in performance, so asked one of the staff here to reinstall Panther as a last resort. Came back, he has erased the disk, and now, on boot up, I am told the current version of OSX cannot be installed as no previous version exists. What's more, there is a system disk stuck in the drive which will not be removed.

I really need this PB up and running - can anyone help, please?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Ok, sorted the disk thing, but when I reach the installer screen, I am still being told "you cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. An earlier version of Mac OS X is not installed".

Anyone?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thanks Segovius, I'll try that.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Installed the Jaguar disk, the grey screen appears, but after 15 seconds, the screen crashes and two bars of horrible grey lines appear across the screen (like when an old telly used to break!). Have tried the Jaguar disk in another Mac, loads absolutely fine. I presume there is some sort of conflict - any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Call Apple Care. (I don't remember the UK number, sorry). It could be logic board (symptoms would fit that, though it's more common with iBooks).