iDVD

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am currently using an iBook with my students. They have created several iMovies and I have tried to burn them on a DVD. Whenever I do it says the DVD is "write protected" and that it unreadable. Does anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    What brand of DVD-R are you using?

Do you have a superdrive (since it's an iBook)?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

What brand of DVD-R are you using?

Do you have a superdrive (since it's an iBook)?

I have used memorex and sony. I don't have a super drive, just a built in dvd burner.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by oglesbye

I have used memorex and sony. I don't have a super drive, just a built in dvd burner.

how did you manage that? i'm pretty sure thats where your problems are.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Superdrive is what Apple calls their DVD burner drive. ipodandimac is just being a dick.

It must be really new, because they just started putting them in iBooks. Anyway, yeah, it sounds like it might be an incompatibility with the DVDs. Pick up an Apple set and see if that works. Problems with incompatible DVDs are not unheard of.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    oglesbyeoglesbye Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Superdrive is what Apple calls their DVD burner drive. ipodandimac is just being a dick.

It must be really new, because they just started putting them in iBooks. Anyway, yeah, it sounds like it might be an incompatibility with the DVDs. Pick up an Apple set and see if that works. Problems with incompatible DVDs are not unheard of.

Thanks. I am new at trying to burn DVD's. I am use to converting iMovies to Quick Time and just playing them on the computer. This is my first time at burning DVD's and it has been a flop. Most of my students (and their parents) have not been very nice about the flop either:
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

with all of apple's branding of the name superdive, i figured most people would know their burner is called a superdrive. i wasnt trying to be dumb.

as for all the problems, i dont know what more to say. if you've imported, edited, and exported your video, then opened up idvd and imported your movie to there, then there is a deeper problem that an apple rep might give you a better answer to. without seeing your computer, there isnt much more to troubleshoot.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kcgilkcgil Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oglesbye

Thanks. I am new at trying to burn DVD's. I am use to converting iMovies to Quick Time and just playing them on the computer. This is my first time at burning DVD's and it has been a flop. Most of my students (and their parents) have not been very nice about the flop either:

Please click on your Blue Apple and select 'About This Mac'. From the dialog box click on the 'More Info...' button.

Under the left column Contents make sure the 'Hardware' triangle is point down there should be a list of hardware select the ATA-

To the right should be a list of ATA hardware make sure that the triangle is pointing down on each category.

There should be one for the hard drive and the other for the DVD burner/superdrive.

What does that say.